April 2015 Moms
Options

What is causing this vomiting!? Update-Plyoric Stenosis

Babog10Babog10 member
edited April 2015 in April 2015 Moms
Hi my little boy is 3 weeks old and in the last week he has starting excessively vomiting. I don't mean spitting up this is a large quantity that even the nurses can't believe. There is no real pattern to it sometimes it's after a feed (I'm breastfeeding) sometimes it's between feeds and sometimes just before his next feed (and just to confuse the situation even more sometimes he doesn't vomit at all or just a little bit!) He isn't distressed, plenty of dirty/wet nappies, feeding well but it's just this vomiting that is the problem. I am in hospital with him at the mo and they are testing for three things 1) an infection (but all bloods are clear so far) 2) pyloric (but again bloods are clear) and 3) reflux which my instinct doesn't think it is because apart from the vomiting he doesn't have any other signs. Anyway I'm sorry for the long post and know that I am in the right place but I was just wondering if anyone else had any kind of experience with these issues and could offer any insight/advice?
UPDATE: my LO went for his ultrasound this morning and he has Plyoric Stenosis which is basically his lower stomach muscle is overgrown and it's stopping the food from entering his intestine and instead it is coming back up as vomit. The good news is the surgery is simple to fix it and he should be recovered within the day but the bad news is that he has to fast until his surgery which might not be for a few more days!! I feel like the worst mammy in the world starving my newborn! Has anyone else been through this or can offer any advice/encouragement?? T&P for my little man much appreciated xxx

Re: What is causing this vomiting!? Update-Plyoric Stenosis

• Options
    It can be genetic, often occurring in first born males. My uncle had it and so did my brother. Most likely my little guy will too. (Whenever he decides to make his appearance) I've been told to look out for projectile vomiting between 2-6 weeks. Sadly at this point your little guy isn't getting much food because his tummy pushes it right out. You're doing the right thing and he'll be so much happier after the surgery.
  • Options
    I'm sorry he is going through this. T&P. We were worried my son had this but he all of a sudden stopped. I couldn't imagine making my son fast for a few days! That is crazy!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Babog10Babog10 member
    edited May 2015
    Thanks for ur replies @boet0055 and @smilesallaround Well we got through it anyway, my little man finally got called for surgery on Wednesday morning, after two days of no feeding where he was just hooked up to an IV drip which was so heartbreaking because he was crying with hunger pains! The only thing that got me through those days was telling myself that he wasn't in any pain and that he could be a lot worse [we are in a children's hospital and it is heartbreaking to see some of the little babies :( ] His surgery was so quick and he was back in my arms (and on the breast!) two hours after surgery! He did continue to vomit quite a bit for the first 24 hours but he is fine now, just spitting up little bits after feeds like any newborn. He is happy, bright and alert and I feel like a finally have my little boy back. We are being discharged today (on his month birthday!) and hopefully this is the end of hospitals for my little man xxx
  • Options
    xuxachixuxachi member
    Glad the surgery went well and you're on your way home!
    DS born 10/25/11 **  DD born 6/24/13 **  DS born 4/20/15
  • Options
    Babog10Babog10 member
  • Options
    So good to hear! I know we only have a 20% chance of this happening to my little guy, but the waiting and not knowing is hard.
  • Options
    I'm having similar issues, and just hoping that it's not pyloric stenosis...fingers crossed!
  • Options
    I'm so happy it all worked out for the best! My son is having similar issues. He is vomiting with a lot of force and extreme amounts about every other day he is 31/2 weeks old. By any chance was your son hungry all the time? Mine wants to feed about every 45 mins and is fussy if I don't feed him!
  • Options
    Babog10Babog10 member
    No he wasn't overly hungry he was actually settling into a nice routine of every three hours! My advice if u think he has it is to make sure that they do an ultrasound because it's the only way to confirm it. This was more than every other day though it was more like every feed
  • Options
    Babog10Babog10 member
    @karabrown how is ur son now, did it get any worse?
  • Options
    Babog10Babog10 member
    @karabrown how is ur son now, did it get any worse?