August 2015 Moms

Can I or can I not?

so I read a couple months back (I think on this app or baby center) that you should Avoid really warm or hot showers and baths because your baby can't regulate its body temperature and you don't want to overheat them which is harmful , but I believe a week ago on this app I read where it says my baby can now regulate his body temperature, does that mean I can take a hot shower ? I been avoiding going on the hotter side because I don't want to cause harm to my baby but after reading that is it ok? Because I'm dying to take a really hot shower!

Re: Can I or can I not?

• I take hot baths all the time. Baby is right on track.
  • Loading the player...
  • I took hot baths with my first and this baby and both are fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• As with everything, you will find people arguing both sides. I actually asked this question yesterday about hot baths to my high risk doctor. They said as long as it's not too hot to me, I'm fine.
  • There's no problem, generally speaking, with hot baths or showers. Hot tubs cause concern for over heating because you are sitting in a consistently hot temp. (Baths cool down as you sit there, while hot tubs are programmed to maintain temp.)
  • Hot showers or baths are ok because the water temp isn't staying constant like a hot tub/sauna. Just make sure if you are taking a long hot bath that you have water or something to keep you hydrated. Also don't stand too quickly after to avoid getting dizzy. If you do start feeling lightheaded drain the water and sit for a few minutes before getting out.
  • You need to watch how you feel. Baths and showers you typically aren't fully submerged letting your body naturally cool itself. So you're usually fine. But if you find yourself feeling off, it's time to get out. 
  • There's no problem, generally speaking, with hot baths or showers. Hot tubs cause concern for over heating because you are sitting in a consistently hot temp. (Baths cool down as you sit there, while hot tubs are programmed to maintain temp.)

This. Don't sit in a hot tub, do sit in a warm bath and relax your preggie back and belly!!

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This. Don't sit in a hot tub, do sit in a warm bath and relax your preggie back and belly!!

My doc said the same thing.
  • I've been taking baths nightly since the start of my pregnancy. My doctor just said if you have to ease yourself in the water, its too hot. Otherwise, enjoy! :)
  • I love hot showers, but lately have had to keep the curtain cracked open for ventilation, other wise I find myself poking my head out and practically gasping for air! I also get really thirsty in the showers so keeping some ice water nearby is always a good idea.
  • A hot bath (where I am not overheating.. and if I do get a sweaty forehead I sit up out of the bath and cool myself down before sinking back in) is my absolute go-to!!
    Best thing for sore muscles and the quickest and easiest way to oil up your body and keep everything nice and hydrated!! I put oils in the bath and come out a supple and slippery mess. Haha. Just be careful getting out if you use oil as it's not exactly the most glamorous moment ever. But it's been a great stress relief, muscle pain relief and skin hydrating tool for me. I started having baths around 4 months consistently for those reasons.
  • And... I don't know about you ladies, but these days when I take a bath, my belly isn't even in the water anymore!

Um... same. I always want to take a bath to relax my muscles, but the only thing in the water is my legs. It makes me feel huge. When we eventually buy a house, my only demand will be a giant tub!!
  • I talked with OB about this from day one because I am a scolding hot shower fan lol but they basically told me to make sure bathroom was ventilated as I got a bit woozy during one shower which made me raise my concern to OB. She said I was goid to go even after that just again needed to make sure everything was well ventilated.