Trouble TTC

Intro (loss & DS mentioned) with a quick question!

Hey ladies. Here I am. 3T. No one wants to find themselves here, but I'm hoping to find support as I have on other boards. Here's my short story:
I am 26 next month. I conceived DS in 2009 (before fertility issues). Went to nursing school, finally graduated in 2013, and started TTC. My whole world flipped upside down when my 30 day cycles turned to 60, I developed cystic acne which I've never dealt with before, started growing a beard. A beard (My hobbies include plucking), and my pretty thick hair started falling out. After blood work and seeing my OBGYN with symptoms, he diagnosed me with PCOS. We started Clomid (absolutely 100% monitored) and Metformin. After 2 failed cycles, I started a strict elimination diet and conceived with Metformin only (February '15). We suffered a MMC & D&C in April. Gut wrenching, heart breaking, world at a stand still. My life will never be the same. But here we are, keeping the faith and putting one foot in front of the other. Waiting on AF now (first since D&C) so we can try another round of Clomid. However, I'm really thinking about sending DH for a semen analysis. Though I doubt he has any problems because I did get my BFP, I feel it would be better to know than not know for sure and be wasting my time with Clomid. My problem is, I've looked and looked and I can't for the life of me find where he would have an SA preformed? Does a PCP write the prescription for this? Also, if insurance does not cover it, anyone have a ballpark as to how much it would cost out of pocket?

I appreciate you guys ahead of time! FX for all of you!

Re: Intro (loss & DS mentioned) with a quick question!

• Welcome and I'm so sorry for your loss. Sending hugs your way...

Your OBGYN can order the test, and so can his primary.  I wouldn't introduce a urologist at this point, it might be overkill.  I would ask for a copy of the lab results and google the info though, I would never trust an OBGYN to interpret an SA.   You can also post it here, there are a lot of people who are battling MFI who can help you with explaining the numbers.

Married for 7 years, TTC for 4 years
    dx:  Diminished Ovarian Reserve
    2 Clomid IUI's + 4 injectable IUI's= 5 BFNs and 1 mc

• Welcome and I'm so sorry for your loss. Sending hugs your way...

Your OBGYN can order the test, and so can his primary.  I wouldn't introduce a urologist at this point, it might be overkill.  I would ask for a copy of the lab results and google the info though, I would never trust an OBGYN to interpret an SA.   You can also post it here, there are a lot of people who are battling MFI who can help you with explaining the numbers.

Thank you so much! I definitely wouldn't expect my OBGYN to be able to interpret a SA. Why would anyone? Lol. Thanks for the knowledge!
  • Loading the player...
  • @kp008073, I am so sorry for your loss. When my DH has his SA done, it was ordered through his primary. I think is was in the ballpark of about $100.00 but I can't remember if insurance covered part of it, or if that was the total cost. 
    Me: 24  DH: 25
    Married 2010
    TTC #1
    PCOS
  • Oh, that's not bad. Some of the research I've done says around 100 but thought I'd ask. Thank you :)