June 2014 Moms

Food/Sippy cups

My LO is almost 11 months and she hates sippy cups, I have tried the ones with nipples, straws, and no spill rims, nothing just throws them. She also will not hold her own bottle. She can she just won't. ANy tips on how to transition from bottle? She also is not a big eater of food that is. She has no problems with formula. Thanks!

Re: Food/Sippy cups

• Have you tried a sippy cup with a bottle nipple on it? I ended up putting juice and a higher flow nipple in it, he liked the juice enough to take it. Haven't had any luck with a traditional sippy though.
  • There could be a number of things going on. She could simply be exploring cause and effect or the cool sounds that happen when she shakes and throws the cups. Once she learns enough about the cups, she'll likely move on to just drinking.
    Also, different cups work differently, requiring different sucking techniques and force. Perhaps she'd prefer one requiring minimal force that somewhat leaks when poured. We use the Take n Toss brand with the little snap on handles. It's a bit messy, but he figured it out. That bottle nipple idea is also great for easing the transition from bottle to cup.
    You also may want to put different fabric sleeves around the bottles/cups. This would take some minor sewing skills and free time (I'm not sure what that is, but I hear some parents have it!). Take a variety of fabric textures like fleece, denim, satin...and sew them into a sleeve that will fit around the bottle. The extra sensory input may be interesting enough to keep her hands on them.
    Ultimately don't stress too much. Just keep trying and letting her explore, and she'll figure it out eventually. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with trying a sippy cup with a bottle nipple on it. She'll keep on exploring and she will figure things out and see what works. Good luck!
  • Does she has any interest in what your drinking? Maybe try just helping her drink out of a regular cup. My girl is 11 months and does great with a regular cup...with help of course.