Infertility

Down to 3 embryos -- first IVF cycle -- wondering if others had similar numbers?

Hello: New to IVF. I'm 40 and my husband is 43 and we  have just embarked on our first round of IVF (at RMA in NYC). We did IUI with Clomid twice (a few months ago) and I got pregnant both times, but the first ended in a chemical pregnancy and the second in a miscarriage at week 8. We don't have any specific fertility problems per se, save for age.

They retrieved 8 eggs yesterday, 5 were mature enough for ICSI, and we are now down to 3 embryos.They will grow them until Day 5 and then if there are any left, send them off for PGD. We are doing an entirely frozen cycle and given our age won't transfer until we have two strong embryos (after PGD) -- one for this pregnancy and saving the other for a second pregnancy down the road.

I am feeling exceedingly disappointed with these results and fearful that we could be left with zero viable embryos after going through all of the cost, hassle, physical and emotional toll on my body, etc. Looking for a little hope out there. Anyone been in this boat?

Thanks.

Re: Down to 3 embryos -- first IVF cycle -- wondering if others had similar numbers?

• I had 4 embryos make it last round. I will be praying for you!
  • (child mentioned)

We didn't do the PGD/PGS, but I was 40 at our IVF cycle and only retrieved 4 eggs, 3 fertilized via ICSI, we transferred all three and DD was born in November. It is about quality more than quantity - and you will have a good idea of quality once the testing results come back. 

Your numbers so far are very normal for your age!
    Me: 41, DH 38, Diagnosis DOR
    Started TTC 12/2013
    First Trip to RE: 11/2014
    IVF Round 1: 2/2014 - BFP
    DD Born 11/9/2014
    TTC a Sibling Started 5/2015
    First IVF Round 8/15 - BFN
    Taking a break to go on vacation + enjoy the holidays before FET and/or another IVF round in 2016!

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks, that's helpful. Our place only transfers one and we won't do a transfer until we have two ones that make it through testing. 

Spoke w/ RE today who suggests we go again right away and increase Menopur. He's hopeful we'll get one good one from this cycle, but admits that might be a long shot.  

Just exhausting to put yourself through all of this potentially for NO results!
  • I'm sorry that you've gone through all of this. I haven't been in your shoes before, but I can imagine it's very stressful. Is there a reason why they won't transfer more than one if you have? I'm just curious because I am 37 and my doctor transferred two the first IVF. I was under the understanding that the older you get the more they are willing to transfer. Wishing you the best of luck with everything and sending prayers your way.
  • I am assuming that you guys do not want to do with three-day transfer because you want more than one child? I was just thinking, if you transferred on day three, you would still have a chance of having a successful pregnancy.
  • ^ Most likely she's not transferring on day 3 because she's doing pgd/pgs testing which means that the embryos have to be biopsied and then frozen while you wait for the test results. 

Also, it's likely that her clinic won't transfer more than one after pgd/pgs. A lot of clinics have that rule because the success rates after that test are much higher and they want to prevent multiples. 
    Started TTC 12/2013
    DD Born 11/9/2014
    Taking a break to go on vacation + enjoy the holidays before FET and/or another IVF round in 2016!

• I can relate to all the waiting, its quite stressful. We just did our first round of ivf. Retrieved 17, 16 mature, and 15 fertilized. All 15 made it to day 3, but then by day 5/6 only 3 were good enough for PGS biopsy. So we sent those off. Just got results this week. 2 abnormal and 1 was inconclusive. I have a dr's appt next week, where we will discuss next steps. Although i think we will probably transfer it and hope for the best. I am 42 -- i think just the two years younger you have on my can make a quite a difference and give you a higher probability of success. 

wishing you all the best. you are not alone out there struggling through the stressing and waiting. 
    Me (42) w/ partner for 16+ years
    TTC #1: 11/2012 - 9/2013; 6/2014 - present
    Follistim + TI (3x): All BFNs
    Follistim + IUI (1x): BFN 
    IVF #1: 17 retrieved,15 fertilized, Day 3: 15, Day 5/6: 3 biopsied
    Result; 1 frozen blast (inconclusive PGS results)
    IVF #2; ER: 6/22 16 retrieved, 6/25: 5 transferred (CP), 2 frozen
    FET 9/17: BFN
    Current FET -- Transferred 2 day-3 embryos - BFN

• Wishing everyone luck. We were down to two viable embryos after testing and only one thawed properly- we had decided to transfer both to better our chances... We implanted on the 20th and waiting on our first beta in a few days. I too went through 4 IUI with one pregnancy that was a blighted ovum resulting in miscarriage that didn't pass tissue until week 10 or so... We waited to try again and obv didn't have great results so not sure we will try again if this doesn't work! Fingers crossed! I am 36 and dh is 42.
  • (Pregnancy mentioned)

I can completely relate to you. I was 39, my DH 37, when I started my IVF journey. All blood work and physical tests were excellent and my husband's SA and blood work looked great as well. Lovely, unexplained IF. We went straight to IVF because of my age and my fear of multiples.

First ER I was on Menopur and Bravelle. We got 11 eggs, 9 mature and 3 made it to PGD. Zero normal embryos. We were devastated, yet grateful for knowing they were abnormal. Second ER we changed my protocol to just Menopur along with baby aspirin, DHEA, and CoQ10. We got 11 eggs, 7 mature and 3 made it to PGD. We got 1 normal, perfect embryo. I cried my eyes out. So much pressure on one embryo. I am now 28 pg with that one lonely embryo. It just takes one.

GL to everyone.
    BFP 10/31/12, MC 11/9/12 - We had to say goodbye before we could really say hello. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am starting the IVF journey. It seems like a lot of people do the PGD. I am 35 (almost 36) and hubs is 40. Been trying for 2 years. The doc explained it to us but didn't recommend we do PGD unless my genetic testing came back abnormal. But, it sounds like maybe the genetic biopsy is the way to go now? It's very overwhelming!

Me: 37 / Hubs: 42
    TTC: April 2013
    DOR: AMH .3 - 1.31 (it varies); FSH: 5.1
    Clinic NMCSD
    IUI #1 July/Aug 2016
    IVF #1 Sep/Oct Microdose Lupron Protocol - IVF cancelled only 1 follicle
    IVF #2 Feb/Mar Antagonist protocol w/estrogen priming - 0 eggs retrieved (empty follicle syndrome) 
    Donor Egg Cycle as soon as we find a match
  • mandasand said:

I am starting the IVF journey. It seems like a lot of people do the PGD. I am 35 (almost 36) and hubs is 40. Been trying for 2 years. The doc explained it to us but didn't recommend we do PGD unless my genetic testing came back abnormal. But, it sounds like maybe the genetic biopsy is the way to go now? It's very overwhelming!

Our genetic testing came back normal along with all physical exams, but it was an age factor (me 39, dh 37) that led us to choose PGD. I feel like since everything else was ruled out it must be an egg or embryo challenge, so we wanted to know ahead of time before going the emotional and expensive embryo transfer process. If you and your dh are fine, physically and all, your chances of success with PGD go up to around 75%. I encourage you to explore it more and ask Dr more questions to see if it is a good fit for you. GL
    BFP 10/31/12, MC 11/9/12 - We had to say goodbye before we could really say hello. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • And in the end we were left with no viable embryos after PGD. Very disappointing. We'll start again immediately with a differently protocol -- more Menopur.
  • I'm so sorry to hear this. Stay strong.

ps - I did a Menopur only cycle. Expensive, but I think worth it. Though every body is different.
    Started TTC 12/2013
    DD Born 11/9/2014

• @Knottie01061671 I'm so sorry, that is so disappointing. I'm waiting on PGD results on my one embryo that made it to blastocyst, but I'm mentally preparing for another IVF cycle. I hope your next IVF is very successful for you.

***************************Loss Mentioned***************************

Me 37 y/o, DH 45 y/o; DH vasectomy reversal (his 2nd marriage) 11/8/12; TTC since 12/8/12. IVF due to MFI. DOR diagnosis April 2015.

IVF #1 BCPs/Antagonist w/ICSI Jan 2014 = BFN

IVF #2 MDL w/PICSI March 2014 = BFN

IVF #3 EPP/Antagonist w/PICSI May/June 2014 = BFP!; MMC 6w4d

IVF #4 No suppression/Antagonist Nov 2014/Converted to IUI #1 = BFN
    IVF #4.1 Feb 2015 = cancelled
    IVF #4.2 April 2015 - Lupron Stop Protocol with ICSI = PGD testing of embryo indicated it was abnormal
    IVF #5 June 2015 EPP with Antagonist 

Everyone welcome!

• I am so sorry. I did only Menopur my second stim cycle. The research highly supports this protocol. Thoughts and prayers to you.
  • I'm so sorry to read this… Wishing you lots of luck on your next cycle! @jnissa thank you for the explanation
  • Second cycle progressing much better than first. 14 possible follicles and RE guessing 10-14 eggs (to be retrieved Tuesday or Wednesday). Of course who know what the actual numbers will be. I'm stealing myself but the Menopur seems to be doing the trick. I am taking gobs of it.
  • We elected to do PGD as well.  We retrieved 24 eggs, 20 fertilized with ICSI, 19 matured enough to be PGD'ed.  We were ecstatic with the numbers, however when PGD came back, only 6 were normal.  It was disappointing, but at the same time I am grateful to know which ones were normal before transferring.  We did a fresh transfer with one, BFN.  Waiting on a FET next.  Oh, and I'm 37, DH is 51.