High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Any Unicornuate Uterus Sisters?

Hello!

I was diagnosed with a Unicornuate Uterus after having a HPG at the fertility clinic this past March. They got me in for a laparoscopy at the end of March, which happened to be the start of my period as well. Well, lo and behold I just found out a week ago that I am pregnant! I'm so thrilled, but terrified as well...

I did a huge no-no by looking up my condition on the Internet and read all the horrible statistics of miscarriages and problems with the baby. Now I'm constantly fretting over if the light brown discharge is a miscarriage (my midwife said it isn't anything to worry about right now). I just want to hear from somebody else in my position that everything will be okay. So if anyone has any advice or stories they could share, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Jess

Re: Any Unicornuate Uterus Sisters?

• Options
    Hi fellow unicorn here :) biggest piece of advice, no more googling haha. It ended up driving me and mostly my husband nuts. I did go into PTL and had PPROM due to my son maxing my uterus' capcity at 29 wks. I had GD so he was the size of a 33wker, which only helped him but he did spend almost 11 wks in the NICU. Traumatic experience that I am still dealing with but it gets better. I am getting prepped to try for #2 in the late fall so even after all that happened, I still would do it all over again. Feel free to message me with any questions or if you want to chat. I am an open book.
  • Options

I also have a UU!  Like the PP, I went into preterm labor at 29 weeks also. I had no idea--just went in for a regular OB appointment and cervix check (they started measuring me at 25 weeks) and was 1 cm dilated. Went into Labor and Delivery and once hooked up, they saw I was contracting every 3 minutes. Thankfully, they were able to stop the labor and I went home on strict bedrest. I made it to be released from bedrest at about 36 weeks.  The weight of the baby did cause me to dilate to 4 cm between those 29-36 weeks. My water broke at 37 weeks and my daughter was born perfectly healthy. She was a little small (5 lbs) but fine.  Unlike many UU babies, she was not breech, so I had a normal vaginal delivery.

I'm currently 10 weeks pregnant again and going to talk to the MFM doctors in a few weeks about possible progesterone shots.  Might help with the preterm labor.

Let me know if you want to join our great Facebook page. It is a wealth of info from other moms who the same "fun" and rare anomaly.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker<Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I too have one but didn't know it for my first pregnancy, my water broke at 35.6 and I delivered the next day, my son was 5.6lbs and had a section due to him being footling.. I'm now 32.2 wks in my second pregnancy and used progesterone tablets up until now for this pregnancy and have had zero complications... I'm feeling the tightness now and am hoping I make it till at least 36 wks again.. I have had extra ultrasounds to keep an eye on growth and my cervix... From what my doctor has told me if you've carried till a healthy gestation once you should be able to again... Some women can't even carry to a viable gestation.. If you can't you probably won't be able to, but if you can you should be able to more than once
  • Options
    I'd love to join the Facebook page!

This is our first so I have no idea what to expect out of my body. After the laparoscopy the doctor did say I'll be able to carry no problem, so I hope that means he's optimistic about how long my uterus will last before this little nugget demands freedom.

I know your case about giving birth vaginally is probably pretty rare for this condition, but it gives me hope! It was always in the plans for a natural birth, of course, that was before we learned about my little complication.
  • Options
    Even though I had the 29 wker, he was head down and not in distress so i delivered vaginally- which I was happy about :) After having a preemie with a long nicu stay, the last thing I wanted was to be healing from a c-section. Hopefully your little one will cook till at least 37 and be head down with no complications. Positive thoughts!

I am not on the Yahoo groups much but there are 2 groups for uterine anomalies. They might be helpful but what helped me most was finding a local UUer and becoming friends. We actually got pregnant 2 wks apart- me naturally, she did IVF and we now have boys the same age (technically). He was 36+2 (IUGR and low fluid) so when i adjust my son's age for milestones, they are basically the same age.

I guess my biggest piece of advice based on my experience is make sure you have a good doctor who listens and knows about UUs and listen to your body. If something doesn't feel right, get checked. I might have had more of a chance to stop labor if I trusted my gut. Instead, I pushed through like 7 hours of back labor thinking it was just preggo cramps and that was time wasted. Just trust your instincts. They will guide you.

Also, make sure your hospital has at least a level 3 nicu and go check it out on the hospital tour. If you happen to have a preemie, especially under 28 wks, you want a level 3 or 4 nicu. The better the nicu, the better the chances of survival and less complications. I volunteer for my nicu now so I have learned a ton. There is a lot that can inevitably happen but there are also preventable things that skilled doctors and facilities will handle better than others.

Feel free to ask questions whenever they come up. If I can't help, I can always ask someone on staff in the nicu.