July 2015 Moms

Sick leave for Gestational Diabetes?

Hi ladies! Today i was diagnosed with gestational diabetes at 30 weeks :( Ive noticed that i get lightheaded and dizzy at work and im not sure if it has to do with my blood sugar levels.. in addition to that, im just exhausted all the time. i dont think sitting for 8 hours straight at work is helping me out either... is it reasonable to ask my OB to put me on sick leave until the baby arrives? Is anyone else experiencing this as well? Thanks in advance your input u wonderful ladies!

Re: Sick leave for Gestational Diabetes?

• Are you tracking your blood sugar yet, and been advised on an appropriate diet? You may find that managing the condition will mean you don't have to leave work. However, if you feel like you need the time off while you get everything under control, you have a good case for doing so.
    Read about my motherhood journey and more at http://hallidaynelson.com/
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

TTGP July Siggy Challenge: Summer Fails
  • audi681audi681 member
    I am allowed to take 20 week days, prior to my due date, off from work. Since being diagnosed, that would mean I could leave work on June 10th with a due date of July 8th. My dr. recommended working  right until the end of the school year (June 19th). He told me that being active will help keep my blood sugars in check,  and a sedentary/bed-rest type of mentality will increase my chances of induction with a higher risk of c section. You mentioned that you sit 8 hours a day... do you have to sit? Can you stand and move your legs or take frequent walking breaks? I don't know the severity of your GD, or if you need insulin or what not, but lightheaded and dizzy is usually indicative of a low blood sugar as opposed to high. Once you get your diet in check, and your levels figured out, you shouldn't be experiencing any funny feelings anymore. 
  • Loading the player...
  • If you take your sick leave now, will it shorten the time you can take off after baby?   The max I can take total is 12 weeks.   I want the most time with my baby, so I will work until I go into labor.   Like PP said, staying active will help with an easier labor, so you may want to try to control your symptoms with a better diet.  Ask you doctor for a referral to a dietician. 

• Ive been eating pretty healthy and ive been going to the gym 4x a week since my first trimester. Unfortunately, diabetes runs in my family so i think that may have something to do with it.. this worries me that my blood sugar levels wont go back to normal after delivery. I have my appointment with a dietician next week. What kind of diet are any of you ladies following?
  • erinjad3 said:

Ive been eating pretty healthy and ive been going to the gym 4x a week since my first trimester. Unfortunately, diabetes runs in my family so i think that may have something to do with it.. this worries me that my blood sugar levels wont go back to normal after delivery. I have my appointment with a dietician next week. What kind of diet are any of you ladies following?

Just like my family, both parents got diabetes at a young age and same with grandparents, doctor says that it looks like I might have been diabetic or prediabetic before the pregnancy :/ I am worried too that it won't go back down. I'm very healthy and active and sometimes it just sucks to have bad genetics :P hopefully we both won't have to be dealing with diabetes too soon! As for lifestyle, I'm watching my carbs, and trying to fill it more with fruits and healthy choices :) it is hard for me to exercise though because I have been in bed rest.
  • Jkp7749Jkp7749 member
    THANK YOU! I am supposedly borderline after my 3 hr test and they say they aren't going to do anything but I cannot handle how exhausted I am. I mean within minutes of eating I need to sleep, by 6:45 am I am already exhausted just from dressing. I know everyone says that it is normal to be tired but THANK YOU for sharing that you feel the same way. My boss was a jerk when I told her I was a little concerned so I am stuck toughing it out.. I teach 4th grade and can't sit all day, I have to be constantly moving and I literally just can't anymore. Do what you need to do and don't worry when people are judgemental, they aren't in your body!
  • I go to the gym 4x a week and eat a healthy diet. Diabetes runs in my family. Unfortunately, i work for 8 days straight.. 64 hours a week.. and its a stressful job that requires me to be at the desk at all times. I find that l have a lot of fatigue, backpain, nausea and sometimes blurred vision.. i have anemia as well. But im not sure if all of this has anything to do with GD or is a completely seperate issue. I am already on a modified schedule at work bc my regular shifts are 10hours (80 hour weeks).. so im just looking for any advice if anyone else with GD is experiencing the same thing?
  • I agree with @lilweenie not once in the previous comments did you mention having all these other things. All of the things you have listed are part of pregnancy! I'm a stay at home mom....I don't get time off because I have gd or for any other reason. If you feel dizzy or lightheaded test your blood. If it's within range you are fine. Drink water.
  • Oh and there's only 7 days in a week ;)
  • audi681audi681 member
    edited May 2015
    Your anemia is probably affecting you more than your GD. Most doctors say that you can't really feel GD, which is why you have to check your blood sugar. You should talk to your doctor about iron supplements. Low iron is a def. cause of feeling dizzy and light headed. It should be dealt with asap. I have both anemia and GD and I don't see a reason to stop working sooner than later, as they are very manageable. 
  • lilweenie said:

I think its unreasonable.  You probably aren't following your diet correctly, or exercising enough.  Do you get a lunch break that you can take a walk?  Or go for a walk when you get home from work, or after dinner?  I have GD, and work sitting behind a desk for 9 hours, but I don't understand why you would need to stop working.  

I have had diabetes for many years and agree with the poster above. I am a teacher and work 8-12 hours a day and will not be leaving until the end of the school year. It's best you meet with your Drs and/or a nutritionist to help you balance out a new way to cope.
  • I'm with many of the PP many people have GD and just plain diabetes along with many other diseases I don't feel that its a reason to stop working.
    DS #1 Born 01/23/09
    Married 03/18/10
    DS #2 Born 05/19/11
    DS #3 Due 07/26/15