July 2015 Moms
Options

Natural/water birth

Ftm, due July 3rd.. Is anyone having or had a water birth? I've done research on it but I still would like to hear from real people about their experiences :)

Re: Natural/water birth

• Options
    Going all natural vaginal over here, but I love watching water births and the baby looks clean without all the blood. Maybe if I get pregnant again I will go for a water birth :-bd
  • Options
    I'm considering it. I was told to sign up for it (I think there's usually a waiver), just so it's an option. It'll probably be a last-minute call for me! :)

image BabyFruit Ticker

Married 10-15-2011
    BFP 10-30-2014
    Baby's due 7-08-2015

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My hospital only does water labors, not births.  But the water was amazing!  So amazing in fact that I was fully dilated but chose to 'labor down' for 1.5+ hours because I didn't want to get out and push.  So yes, if my hospital did water births I would be all over it!
  • Options
    I'm due July 6th and am planning a home water birth. I've been drawn to it since watching a video of a woman doing it, and I've done a butt ton of research on it. I'm a FTM too but I'd scour YouTube if I were you, that's what I did
  • Options
    I'm registered at a birthing center where "all natural" is the only option.  The center has huge tubs and queen-sized beds in each room.  I expect to be in the tub for at least part of labor!  Best of luck to you ladies!!
  • Options
    I'm having a home birth, technically an at my midwife's office 1/2 mile away birth, with a water option. She has a great big tub there. She mentioned that sometimes the tub just isn't what you want in transition so I've been encouraged to keep an open mind. Thought that was good advice! I love the videos too. I'm so bored at work I look up home birth info a lot and just sitvat my desk in tears. So beautiful. There's a couple great stories on Pinterest if you search home birth. Good luck to all of you goddess mamas.
  • Options
    I labored at a birth center last pregnancy and was excited to try the tub. NOPE. I was annoyed being in the water and had to get out. And that nice relaxing spa music and meditation music... I wanted it OFF. So you never know what your likes and dislikes are going to be during labor. I did love the shower for a little bit but in all my pictures right after birth I have the worse frizzy crazy hair (cause who blow dries their hair during labor?lol)

I had bad back labor so take all this with a grain of salt... I was miserable and nothing seemed to give me any relief!
    <leader of the pack small photo leaderofthepacksmall_zps19d110a4.jpg photo r0614p_zpsojhlssmw.gif AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    We are planning a natural water birth at w birth center. It's our ideal plan though I've had some friends who have had the same plan but they just can't get comfortable or find a good way to push in the tub so I'll be willing to move to the bed if it's not working out for me.
  • Options
    mers90mers90 member
    edited May 2015
    What I know is that they're a bit anti hygienic and babies born this way tend to have eye infections and other stuff, also, it is NOT natural, we have never been born inside the water, I think is just a trend and I would never
    Go for it. I did a lot of research with my first and that was my conclusion, even my
    Lamaze teacher was against it.
  • Options
    ktyrd007ktyrd007 member
    edited May 2015
    @mers90 I'm not sure where you are getting your information but water birth is actually an extremely natural way to welcome a child into the world. Babies are encapsulated in water throughout pregnancy and delivering them into water is a very smooth, calming and healthy experience for them and for the mother. A lot of women who choose a natural birth (non medicated and non invasive) choose to go this route. Many of these women choose birthing classes such as The Bradley Method, Hypnobirthing, Birthing from Within, etc rather than Lamaze. Perhaps you have been swayed by your teacher?

The only way that water birth could be unhygienic is if the tub/water isn't clean - but why would you want to deliver in a place like this anyways. Most water birthing centers take very careful precautions to ensure that you are healthy enough to have a water birth and to ensure that you don't have a condition that would infect the area or the presiding midwives. 
  • Options
    mers90mers90 member
    @ktyrd007 during birth you'll pee without noticing, there's blood and sweat, the water is not sterile and there's a higher risk of eye infections for babies born this way. Yes, my teacher told me that, but I also talked about it with my Dr and a lot of time later I had a casual conversation about it with my son's doctor. The natural way is how we would be doing it if we were wild animals, we would not be having babies inside the water, no other primate does. The natural thing is for Babies to come out of the womb directly to breathe air. There's not even real proof that it is less traumatic for them. But as I said, that's my opinion. I think for the mom is better in many ways because it helps you be relaxed and other stuff, but at the end you're soaking in your own juice for hours and the baby will be born there ...
  • Options
    Just wanted to mention that urine, sweat and blood are sterile when they come out of the body. So unless there is an infection already present it shouldn't cause the water to be contaminated.  
  • Options
    I had baby #8 at home, with a midwife, in a tub. I went from 4 cm to 10 in one hour. Planning to do it again with #9.
  • Options
    Just wanna add woah @StacyMomof9 , 9 babies !! You're a pro at this haha.
    I'm hoping to try a tub for some of labour, exercise ball, squatting, whatever works for natural birth. Here's hoping I don't get back labour
  • Options
    @StacyMomof9 9 Babies ! Wow you are the real MVP!! I want to be just like you :) that's amazing