Babies: 0 - 3 Months

preemie problems

I had my second son 6 weeks early.  He was almost 6 pounds and doing very well.  We were home from the NICU within the week so we are blessed and grateful.  I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience with a preemie.  He grunts and snorts something awful!  It's all throughout his sleep and at 6 weeks we put him in his own room to finally get some sleep!  He won't sleep longer than 4 hours and it just seems like he's uncomfortable and miserable.  Today was his first dose of Zantac so we are hoping it's just reflux and will get better soon.  Any thoughts?  Does the grunting stop??  Does the sleeping ever start?  We are so sleep deprived, it's starting to make me nuts:(

Re: preemie problems

• NLB2009NLB2009 member
    I don't have a preemie, in fact I was overdue, but my little guy is a very noisy sleeper. He grunts, snorts, and sometimes coos in his sleep. I like it because it reassures me he's still breathing. I think it's just a normal baby thing.
  • NLB2009 said:

I don't have a preemie, in fact I was overdue, but my little guy is a very noisy sleeper. He grunts, snorts, and sometimes coos in his sleep. I like it because it reassures me he's still breathing. I think it's just a normal baby thing.

This. Both of my kids were that way and that's why I moved them into their own rooms very early on. Unfortunately 4 hour sleep stretches are pretty common for the first couple months. If he does have reflux, sleeping might be uncomfortable for him. Does he sleep on an incline? What is he sleeping in?

I used a Rock 'n' Play for my second kid and that thing was a life saver!!!!