February 2015 Moms
Options

Swaddling advice for little one

My little guy is 11 weeks and hates to be swaddled. He kicks his legs up during the night waking himself up. This is happening multiple times a night Creating less sleep for everyone. He was doing great until now and was sleepin long stretches. The problem is if we don't swaddle his hands are everywhere and he will knock himself in the face again waking himself up. Anyone have experience/ suggestions on what to do to get him to sleep?

Re: Swaddling advice for little one

• Options
    Do you swaddle with a blanket or contraption? I've used Swaddle Me sleep sacks bc they're like baby straight jackets and my LO can't get out but I did just read where babies 3-4 months shouldn't be swaddled at night bc it inhibits their motor development. The articles states that most of this development happens at night. Eventually baby will become accustomed to being free and should figure out a new sleep routine.
  • Options
    mrlarprmrlarpr member
    Once babies begin to be able to roll (which should be soon) their startle reflex diminishes so it should hopefully not be as much of an issues shortly.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    kkurykkkuryk member
    My LO is 12 weeks, we started to transition her out of a swaddle a couple weeks ago. For 1 week we swaddled both arms with a blanket leaving her legs free to kick and then 1 week with only one arm swaddled and legs free and now she is completely unswaddled.
  • Options
    We have been using the swaddle me blankets as well (stage 2) but it might be time to move to to something else. I will try the legs free suggestion that seems like he might love it. Thanks all!