July 2015 Moms

Last Day of Work?

Hi Bumpies!! Due date July 26th. I plan on my last day being 2 weeks before hand but I'm worried I may not be able to last that long due to the heat. I commute to NYC and have to walk 10-15 minutes to and from the train.

Anyone else having a similar concern? Will your job let you work from home if needed?
Me (29) & DH (40)
Married 09/14/13 
DS 07/22/15  <3
Baby #2 06/07/17  :D

Re: Last Day of Work?

• I worked right up until the day before I had my son, and am planning on doing the same thing this time- that being said, I think you're smart to leave 2 weeks before! If I had to walk in the heat that would totally change things!
    I'm a dental hygienist and toward the end of pregnancy all the leaning and bending gets pretty uncomfortable but I want to have as much time off with the baby once she's born so I'm trying to tough it out : )
    I'm due July 1, so not long to go!
    Best of luck : )
  • mnj05mnj05 member
    I will be working until school is out despite the heat (Texas). It won't be any better for me at home than at home anyway. If it gets too uncomfortable or dangerous for your health, then by all means take off! I had to do that with my first but it was more safety reasons with my last district that I didn't feel like were being taken seriously.

imagePhotobucket

TTC #1 since 3/2011
    DX: anovulatory and severe MFI
    DH is a testicular cancer survivor
    IVF#1 w/ICSI lupron, gonal f, ovidrel
    ER 6/15/12 6R 6M 6F! ET 6/20/12
    Beta #1: 154 Beta #2: 509 Beta #3: 7326
    Baby Boy born 3/1/2013
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC#2: 6/2014 all testing came back normal

IVF#2 (#1 for LO#2) 9/2014 - 17R 10M 10F 4 blasts frozen on day 6.

FET #1 10/15/14 - Beta #1: 216  Beta #2: 823

Baby Boy born 7/10/2015

• Loading the player...
  • @laurencg2393 , I'm due July 28 and have the same concern. As far as your situation, the commute and walking in the heat may be too much the closer you are to your EDD. Maybe see how you feel as you progress in this third trimester and judge it by that. Do you need to give your employer ample notice of when you plan to start your maternity leave?

I'm a RN on the night shift and can take up to four weeks off prior to my EDD. Even though a portion of my pay will come from state disability, to make my paycheck whole, I can use my sick or vacation time. BUT if I work as long as I can up until my EDD, I'll have more time after with my baby. I have to make a decision though because I'm supposed to let my manager know ahead of time when I'll be leaving for maternity leave. Ugh! Wish things weren't so complicated. Good thing is my doctor said just tell her when I'm ready to stop working and she'll take care of the paperwork on her end.

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• I'm due July 20. I work in a fast paced, extremely busy restaurant and had planned on working right up to my due date.. however, every day is harder. I leave work in so much pain. Its difficult being on my feet for 7 + hours, walking 5+ miles a day. Im fortunate enough to be able to take off as much time as I want, but it is also all unpaid. The sooner I leave work before he is born, the less time I'll have with him when he's here. But, this is hard stuff! Wishing all you mama's luck in this decision!
  • I'm due July 11.  Fortunately, I am a teacher and we get out of school here in Arizona on May 22.  I am looking forward to having that time to be home and prep for baby.  

My maternity leave will not officially start until August 6, which is the first day teacher are due back in session.

Good luck!  I know the heat and the humidity of the northeast can be brutal.
  • areseearesee member
    I'm due July 20. I have a little bit of a walking commute, but not much. I'm planning to work as long as I can, so I can have more time at home with baby. Luckily, I work in an air conditioned office and can do at least some of my work from home if it comes to that.
  • I'm due 13th July and planning on working until 31st May. I'm taking 3 weeks holiday/annual leave and start maternity leave on 21st June. We are very lucky in the UK to be allowed up to a year of maternity leave. I'm planning on returning to work at the start of May 2016 x
  • You girls are tough!! Can't imagine going back to work so soon after having baby. Over here we are complaining that we are getting "only" 49 weeks with baby and full salary.. X_X
  • Jee you are lucky t get that much time off paid. Sorry for the girls on their feet all day at work thats soooo hard. Im due 7-28 and hope t keep working until delivery. We will see-he measures big
  • asun123asun123 member
    I'm due July 21. Last day of work is July 10th.
    If I need to leave earlier I will. And they can function without me so I'm not worried. 
    Bobby Llewellyn born September 29, 2012
    Kade Wayne born July 23, 2015
    MC in February 2017
    MC in November 2017
    Oliver Dean (Ollie) due December 17, 2018

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have a RCS scheduled for 7/9. I have not decided if i will take off starting 7/6 or work til 7/8. Taking 12 wks after baby is born.
  • I'm due July 11.  Fortunately, I am a teacher and we get out of school here in Arizona on May 22.  I am looking forward to having that time to be home and prep for baby.  

My maternity leave will not officially start until August 6, which is the first day teacher are due back in session.

I'm also a teacher. Last day for me is May 22, and I'm due July 5th, so I'll finish the school year. I need to see how this works in my district. If my maternity leave won't start until school starts, I may definitely consider taking off a few weeks in August!
  • I'm due July 28th but having a c section on July 23rd. My last day of work is Saturday the 18th. I'm a physical therapist in a hospital, so I walk between 6-8,000 steps a day and sometimes have to do heavy transfers. So far I'm ok but starting to slow down a bit. I also have a 15 month old at home so I'm looking forward to those last 5 days or so off to spend with him before the c section. Maternity leave in America is just awful. I'm lucky and don't have to return to work full time so I'm looking much more forward to this "leave" than I did with my 15 month old. Good luck ladies and listen to your bodies!!!! It will give you clues as to when it's time to slow down.
  • I finish at the end of June. Due 24th but have already been told I will be induced around 37-38 weeks for medical reasons

Im taking 6 months off this time - I had 11 months off with DS (mostly unpaid - im in AUS) and it was too long for me - made it hard to adjust and go back full time

It sucks that the U.S. Is even worse than here when it comes to maternity leave - we thought we are so behind in Australia compared to other countries
  • I am due July 2nd and feeling pretty exhausted already. I am planning to finish off the month of a freelance job in house and then stay home in June and do a little freelance work from home with another company. Commuting to Manhattan is exhausting.
  • I plan on working up until I go into labor and only taking 3 weeks off. I do at least work a job where I can bring baby with me when I go back.
  • Hi I'm due July 23rd and my last day will b on the 1st of July,as im a carer bending is proving difficult now a days, and working full time means we haven't had time to start the baby's room!!! It will b done by the end of May :) And the last 2 weeks before baby arrives I pretend to chillax ;;)
  • MCH77MCH77 member
    I'm having a RSC on July 23. School is over June 17 and I have 2 random training days until July 1.

Can't wait!!!

BFP #1 March 24, 2010; missed m/c May 26, 2010 @ 12w 4d; D&E May 28, 2010

BFP #2 Oct 20, 2010; My little boy was born on July 5, 2011

BFP #3 April 30, 2013; Chemical Pg May 5, 2013

BFP #4 Aug 22, 2013; It's a boy.  Loss discovered at 24 weeks on Jan 15, 2014 (cause CMV virus)    

<3 We love and miss you Timothy <3

BFP #5 April 6, 2014; missed m/c May 15, 2014 @ 9 weeks; Misoprostol May 15, 2014; D&C May June 3, 2014

• I also commute to NYC (about an hour on metro north) with a 10 minute walk to the office. My due date is July 17, and my last day will be June 26. I am giving myself 3 weeks. If I worked closer to home I would work up until delivery, but can't risk going into labor in the city or on the train!
  • Yep, I'm hoping to make it up to 2 weeks prior of me EDD, my commute is 45 miles each way, and I don't and I have a very stressful/demanding job. I don't feel 100% right now :( I can't even am imagine how I'll feel 6 weeks from now... It's something I'm very nervous and worried about...
  • If you can afford to take that much time off before hand, then do so.  I cannot and plan on working right up until the day I give birth.  I also have a long commute that requires some walking, but I have no choice.  
  • Thera888 said:

You girls are tough!! Can't imagine going back to work so soon after having baby. Over here we are complaining that we are getting "only" 49 weeks with baby and full salary.. X_X

You would never survive over here in America...just sayin...
  • mommy1922 said:

I'm due July 11.  Fortunately, I am a teacher and we get out of school here in Arizona on May 22.  I am looking forward to having that time to be home and prep for baby.  

I'm also a teacher. Last day for me is May 22, and I'm due July 5th, so I'll finish the school year. I need to see how this works in my district. If my maternity leave won't start until school starts, I may definitely consider taking off a few weeks in August!
    Also a teacher. I plan to work until the last day of school on June 19th, and I'm due July 20th. Our maternity leave sucks and starts from the day I give birth, so I essentially get no time off unless I take unpaid FMLA leave when school resumes at the end of August. Boo.
  • KAR8706KAR8706 member
    I am working until my Doctor says no more or until baby comes, then taking 6 weeks off of work. 
    I work in a doctors office and cant afford to take much more time off. 
  • I'm due July 7th, and I'm self employed as a hairstylist. I wish I could take off before to help prep for baby, but I need all the money I can get since I will have no paid maternity leave. You gals are lucky!!!
  • veronieveronie member
    I'm due July 26th and have been finish up work since 11th April due to low blood pressure making me so dizzy everyday. I'm a hairdresser so was standing all day. Really missing work!! Can't wait for baby
  • My plan was to work up to my due date, but I got put on modified bed rest yesterday! Grrr... Doing whatever is best for my babies but I'm stressed! No paid leave at all!
  • mommy1922 said:

I'm due July 11.  Fortunately, I am a teacher and we get out of school here in Arizona on May 22.  I am looking forward to having that time to be home and prep for baby.  

Also a teacher. I plan to work until the last day of school on June 19th, and I'm due July 20th. Our maternity leave sucks and starts from the day I give birth, so I essentially get no time off unless I take unpaid FMLA leave when school resumes at the end of August. Boo.
    I'm thinking that's our policy too... Good thing I'm due early July! ...unless she decides to be a week or two late LOL. June 19th? Yall must start school in September then. We start the first week of August, so I'll still probably take off two weeks or so. One of my coworkers said, "You're baby is only a baby once!" I plan to take full advantage of my time with my tiny daughter :x
  • lilweenie said:

Thera888 said:

You girls are tough!! Can't imagine going back to work so soon after having baby. Over here we are complaining that we are getting "only" 49 weeks with baby and full salary.. X_X

You would never survive over here in America...just sayin...
    Haha probably

[-O<
  • rnasirrnasir member
    Due July 27 and we get 52 weeks of 55% of your pay as maternity and parental leave in Calgary. I plan to work until July 10th. Hopefully it will work out. Have to take the transit as well 40 mins either way plus a lot of walking. You will definitely know when your body needs to take it easy...
  • I'm due the 26th, too!! I plan to work up until I go into labor or my doctor says I can't work anymore. I am hoping to save my FMLA leave for after baby, so no plans to take time off before as of yet.
    Anniversary
  • Due July 22nd and plan on working until delivery so I can take my 12 weeks off after. I'm fortunate that my company gives me 6 weeks paid leave and then I have a short term disability policy that will kick in. It's unfortunate the US does not have good maternity leave laws. I know certain states do but we definitely need something better.
  • Just thought I would post this article as an FYI.  I think it is interesting to see what is offered around the world.  @rnasis: Way to go, Canada! 

• ambahambah member
    My last day of work was on Sunday! However it is because I am on modified bed rest due to placenta previa. My C-Section is for mid july.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• I'm due July 1st. My boss is having me finish out May and then I'm out of here. I work alone so she doesn't want the chance of me going into labor early and needing to leave and having no one to cover. No paid leave.
  • I also commute in NYC, transferring 3 trains (MTA) for about 1.5 hours one way. I'm due July 16 and am going to try and make it until June 26! I travel during peak hours and the trains are so crowded so it's already a struggle to protect my little man! Can't come soon enough!!!