Trouble TTC

HSG test

I'm having this test done in a few weeks. Has anyone ever had it? Hopefully we'll get some positive news.

Re: HSG test

• MKLEWIS2010MKLEWIS2010 member
    edited April 2015
    I had this done, it was painful.  I was told to take some ibuprofen before, but I didnt get a chance to since I was rushing to get to the doctors appt.  I also called and spoke to the nurse before the procedure and she told me the same thing.  I also asked the question here and some people said it was painful while others said it wasnt too bad.  I think it depends on the individual and doctor.  I hope it all goes well for you!

Good Luck!
    Me - 32 
    Husband - 32
    TTC #1 - since 10/16/2012 
    IVF#1 6/2015 BFN 
    FET 7/2015 - BFP

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I've done if 3 times. The first was not painful at all, second time it was. But it's bearable pain. It can clear the Fallopian tubes of gunk so some ladies have success after getting it done. I had to do IVF to get pregnant though so it didn't work for me but that's not really what it's for it's just meant to check to see if your tubes are open and also if there is anything, like polyps in the uterus.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for your help ladies. I'm a bit nervous about it and can't decide if I should have my husband come with me just as moral support.
  • I did not take any pain meds bedore, although my doctor did prescribe vicodin. To be honest, for me it hurt a lot, and I actually had to have them take a break and then continue. Fortunately it's a short process, but I would definitely recommend taking advil beforehand.
  • I've had it done twice, the first was painful, but the second wasn't at all.   The pain is usually gone pretty quickly, once they take the catheter thingie out.  You may have period-like cramps afterward.

Usually if you're having pain it's a sign of a blockage -- sometimes the HSG itself can clear the blockage as well!   You might be allowed to take Tylenol before the test, which can help minimize the cramping.

Married for 7 years, TTC for 4 years
    dx:  Diminished Ovarian Reserve
    2 Clomid IUI's + 4 injectable IUI's= 5 BFNs and 1 mc

• It looks like the Dr. is recommending I take Advil before I go in. I didn't realize it was going to be any pain but oh well. I'll take this little pain if it gets me to the finish line! Thanks ladies.
  • I had it. I expected it to be painful after reading stuff all over the internet. I have to be honest, not only was it not painful, I didn't even feel it. It was awkward - the doctor was strange, but the procedure itself? It was no big deal for me.
  • My husband came with me for mine, but wasn't allowed in the room as it was too small.

It definitely wasn't painful. I did take paracetamol and ibuprofen first though! (I thought why not!!)

The nurses were lovely and put me completely at ease, which really helped!

Don't forget to take a pad with you as well for afterwards. Hope it goes well for you!

xx