April 2014 Moms

Help for a sore throat?

so, LO caught a cold from grandpa while on vacation. Now he has this terrible hoarse cough and sounds hoarse when he breathes in through his mouth while crying. Grandpa reported a sore throat, so I'm guessing LO has one too. I've been giving him warm milk, applesauce, water, etc to help soothe it. I also gave him some ibuprofen. I just can tell it's hurting him and I know I hate having a sore throat. I feel awful for him. Any special tips and tricks for giving the little guy some relief?

Re: Help for a sore throat?

• kmos816kmos816 member
    I gave my lo sips of warm water and a warm wash cloth to suck on.... Hopefully it helped but who knows!
  • Maybe a little lemon in his water? It can help adults at least, so maybe baby.

March siggy challenge: Dream job = Playing with wolves

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks! I'll try both of those. He slept really well last night (only upside to when he doesn't feel well is that the kid sleeps!) and is happy, if also hoarse, this morning. Hopefully some tricks like these will get us through the day. :)
  • When I think it's bad, I give Tylenol or Ibuprofen like you said. It seems to really help. Now that they're one, you could probably try a little honey as well.
  • When I think it's bad, I give Tylenol or Ibuprofen like you said. It seems to really help. Now that they're one, you could probably try a little honey as well.

I was thinking about the honey too

• I was wondering about honey as well. I'm so chicken when it comes to stuff like this! He woke himself up 15 minutes into his nap with terrible coughing. If it continues, maybe I'll make him a warm toddy (minus the whiskey, of course!)
  • Thinking about it a little more though, you may want to hold off on trying honey for the first time... rather than trying it when his immune system is already compromised.

• Thinking about it a little more though, you may want to hold off on trying honey for the first time... rather than trying it when his immune system is already compromised.

I was wondering about the honey too, but this makes sense. Especially if you're giving it to them straight.
  • Good points. We'll wait. So far it seems like a warm bottle is the favorite. I hate hearing him sound so hoarse. Breaks my heart.
  • Good points. We'll wait. So far it seems like a warm bottle is his favorite. I hate hearing him sound so hoarse. Breaks my heart.
  • Good points. We'll wait. So far it seems like a warm bottle is his favorite. I hate hearing him sound so hoarse. Breaks my heart.

I hear yah! DD was super colicky (10+ hours of crying a day) for the first 3 months and she had such a raspy voice for a long time, I was so worried that her voice was ruined forever.

• Oh, gosh, @BADASBKRCK ! What a crazy time that must have been. Glad you all are well on the side of that now!