Babies: 0 - 3 Months

In-Laws pressuring my husband and I to introduce their dog to our newborn

Hi Mommas! My son is almost 8 weeks old, time is flying by. My in-laws have a Rotweiller, who is a very sweet dog. They treat her like their baby, literally bring her out to eat with them, and when they come to our house, in the past we have allowed them to bring their dog. My husband and I don't own a dog. So before the baby arrived, we made a rule that for atleast 2 months the dog was not allowed over, and they would need to give us time to decide when it was right for them to be introduced. My in-laws continue to ask my husband about bringing the dog over, Im still not ready yet. I'm still in protection mode and really just don't want my son around a 100lb dog yet, no matter how good she is, dogs are unpredictable. We recently got into a huge argument with my inlaws over this issue where I had to make it clear that it was our house our rules, and that we aren't ready for their dog to come over yet. They don't agree with us nor respect our decision. They only live 30 minutes away so it's not a distance issue. Help!

Re: In-Laws pressuring my husband and I to introduce their dog to our newborn

• mars8kmars8k member
    I wouldn't let him near my baby, my brother has a cockatoo, which my smaller, but i still don't let it near my baby, if they insist maybe they can bring the dog bit have it leashed in the house so you know it wont go near your baby?
  • Your baby, your rules. It is ridiculous that you have to get into a fight over that. They need to respect your wishes and that is that. Don't budge on this if you don't want to.
  • Loading the player...
  • ^^ With that being said, we also have a Rottweiler and my kids LOVE her. We are dog and cat people so I think it's great for kids of all ages to be around them, supervised of course when you have a baby.
  • If you have always allowed them to have to dog over before I guess I don't see the issue. I'm assuming the dog is fairly familiar with your house setting? I'm a big bully breed advocate and we always have dogs around our kids. That being said when we first introduce them they really aren't to excited nor do the care. They smell them and then usually go about their business doing whatever. It's true dogs are unpredictable and should never be alone but I see zero issue with having a dog that usually comes over still do so. What does the dog usually do when it's over? I would keep that same routine and let him smell the baby and be done with it. It's easier to introduce the dog now before baby becomes more active and alert and if you see them a lot by then the dog will be more used to the new addition.

• If you're uncomfortable letting a dog into your house, that should be the end of it. There is no reason that they can't leave the dog at home during a visit (especially since they are only 30 minutes away - it's not like dogs can't be left home alone for a couple hours). Your house, your baby, your rules.

FYI - I have two dogs and my sister is nervous letting them around my nephew (who is a year old) so when she comes over, they get gated into one area of the house while we stay in the other. I don't raise a fuss because it doesn't hurt me or my dogs to accommodate her. I think it's absurd that they are fighting you about this.
  • Your baby, your rules. It is ridiculous that you have to get into a fight over that. They need to respect your wishes and that is that. Don't budge on this if you don't want to.

This. However, if you wear the baby or hold the baby-- you can "introduce" the dog easily enough. I'm not sure what exactly they think an 8 week old can do with the dog yet.

I'm not willing to get my panties bunched because the introduction is like, 10 seconds? Then everyone goes on with their lives?

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I completely agree - your house, your rules. Although like a few of the above posters, I have big dogs (a Staffy and a Rottweiler xAm Bulldog) and they're very familiar with and (so far) fond of my baby. It can definitely be done safely and securely and shouldn't be a problem, BUT only if you're happy with it. Dogs can sense mood and if you were worried, the dog would pick up on that and feel uncomfortable itself.
  • Try sending your inlaws home with a blanket that baby has her scent on, then the dog will be familiar with the scent. I think having them leash the dog the first time in the house is a great idea. If you've never minded before I personally don't see why your so fearful of this dog coming over, it's not like your gonna leave the kid alone with it or lying on the floor? But yes your house your rules I'm just having a hard time grasping the big deal here
  • 2Swanns2Swanns member
    edited May 2015
    I LOOOOOVE my dog so much and I treat him like my baby, but I would never ask, let alone pressure someone to introduce their newborn baby to my dog. Do they live far away? Do they have to kennel their dog if they visit you? 

On the other hand, if I know and trust a dog I would have no problem inviting that dog into my home with my newborn, especially if it belonged to my parents.