April 2014 Moms
Options

Travelling with two little ones

So I booked a flight to visit my parents at the end of the month. I'm going alone with a 3 year old and a one year old. I must be nuts. It's a 5 hour flight.

I am trying to decide how to manage them in the airport. Here are the options I see:
1) use my City Select double stroller and contain them both. However, I'd have to fold it all down while holding a 23lb baby in that tunnel to the plane.
2) put the 3 year old in the umbrella stroller and the A14 baby in my Becco carrier. He's getting big to lug around and handle a 3 year old and he'll want to get down. It would be easier to fold that stroller with the baby in the carrier though.
2) put the A14 baby in the umbrella stroller and let the 3 year old walk and cross my fingers she doesn't bolt and is cooperative.

I don't think I necessarily need the double stroller while visiting my parents. There will be plenty of hands to help.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance for helping me think this through!

Re: Travelling with two little ones

• Options
    kmos816kmos816 member
    edited May 2015
    Wow good luck!!!! I haven't even attempted to fly with just the one!

I would do option 2 and if it doesn't work out switch and put the 1 year old in the stroller and let the 3 year old walk, assuming the carrier is compact and easy to pack in your bag
  • Options
    I agree, start with 2 and switch to 3 if the troops get too restless!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My kids are the same ages as yours. When dd was younger (and lighter) I would have done 2, but now that she's 22lbs and loves to move and my son is almost 4 and listens better, I would do #3. I might bring the carrier with me just in case things became impossible.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I would do #1. I would feel more comfortable and less stressed if both kids were contained. You'll probably be allowed to board first, and the flight attendants will help you fold the stroller down I'm sure. Then you can put any carry on bags in the stroller too.
  • Options
    Oh, and just FYI depending on wheat airline you are with they may not let you board early. The last few times I've traveled with kids they refused to let me check my car seats or board before our zone was called. There are one or two airlines (like South West) that still give preference to families with small kids

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My vote is to take the umbrella stroller and the carrier. Switch when you need to.
  • Options
    Thanks so much for all the input! It has helped me think it through. I think you're right that I can do both #2 and #3 and switch it up as needed. I'll probably start with #3 and if the 3 year old is unmanageable, then she'll get contained in the umbrella stroller :)

Thanks again!