November 2015 Moms

Braxton Hicks?

Hello ladies!  I'm 11 wks and 3 days and have been experiencing tightening in my lower belly.  It doesn't hurt but it feels like braxton hicks contractions and can be a bit uncomfortable.  I didn't get them until about 20 weeks or so with my other two pregnancies.  Has anyone else experienced braxton hicks contractions this early?  I have an appointment on May 11th and will bring this up to my doctor.

Re: Braxton Hicks?

• mmk29mmk29 member
    How's your water intake? My doctor mentioned if something like this starts happening to drink more fluids.
  • Hydrate lots! With my first I had bad Braxton hicks because I couldn't keep fluid down. At 16 weeks I ended up in the ER because they turned into very painful ones and I couldn't handle them.
  • Loading the player...
  • It's way too early for Braxton Hicks. I have heard someone describe this as "lightning crotch" though. Lol. Not as medical but definitely a real thing. Drink more water. I think that will help.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My midwife told me to expect them earlier this time. She said they could even start now with a second pregnancy.

I would try sitting down with your feet up and drinking a big glass of water though. That always helps me.
  • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braxton_Hicks_contractions

Here's the wiki on them.  It has some tips for how you might stop them as well. 
    June Siggy Challenge image
  • mmk29 said:

How's your water intake? My doctor mentioned if something like this starts happening to drink more fluids.

That has to be it because I don't drink enough water at all. Now that I'm pregnant I don't like water. It has to be really cold in order for me to drink it and keep it down. I'll try harder to stay hydrated.

Thanks for the advice ladies!!
  • FalchasFalchas member
    Glad I found this post.  I'm 14 weeks and got that (not painful) tight uterus feeling in my yoga class today.  I was surprised because I didn't get this until 20+ with my first.  I just rolled on my side for savasana instead of my back and that seemed to help.  But still a shock to feel them this early.  Anyone else getting them?
  • My midwife said to expect them much earlier this time. I haven't yet though.