February 2015 Moms
Options

8wk old eating every 2 hrs

Ever since last night my Dd has been feeding every 2 hrs and it's making me nuts. Some of them full feedings and some of them shorter (she feel asleep and would not wake up). She normally goes 3hrs. My husband had to stay home from work bc I was so sleep deprived and upset overnight. I feel like she should be able to go to go than 2hrs at this point. I don't know what to do. Any advice? I also go back to work in 2 weeks and I am scared - how can I possibly function at work with this kind of schedule?

Re: 8wk old eating every 2 hrs

• Options
    Are you exclusively breastfeeding? And if so do you have anything pumped and stored? If so I would offer her an ounce of BM after she nurses to see if that tops her off and keeps her full a bit longer. These little babies digest BM so quickly it's hard for them to stay full for long! It'll get better, hang in there!
  • Options
    My daughter is also 8 weeks. I had to up her consumption to 4oz. Now she is able to feed every 2.5-3 hrs during the day and 4-5 hrs at night. I also learned that the bottle is also something she isn't always asking for. Sometimes she wants to be held, changed or just simply making noise. My pediatrician says at this age it is normal for her to feed every 2-3 hrs. I think it gets easier at 3 month mark. Hang in there.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I breastfeed but also occasionally use supplemental formula. A lot of the time when I supplement I do it when I think she is hungry and she won't take it. So it's kind of like my "insurance" so to speak that she is full. But sometimes she will eat very little BM all day and then all of a sudden want a ton of milk - like an additional 6oz of formula! It is very hard for me to take out my breast constantly. I am also trying to better understand her cues and that fussing and crying isn't always hunger. I just need longer stints in between meals. It seems like if she was a gas tank she is only filling up half way each time and needs to eat more frequently.
  • Options
    There's also often an 8 week growth spurt. If that's what it is, it'll pass soon.
  • Options
    Same boat here...LO is 8 weeks and it has been a rough night so far (bumping at 4:30 am). He eats every 2 to 2.5 hours during the day, but at night he's started cluster feeding from 3am to 7am (waking up hourly). Ped said he will "eventually" work out of this, but I am dying!! I go back to work in a few weeks as well, and I just hope we can get some longer stretches at night by then. The 2 to 3 hours is very normal at this point. Hang in there, and just keep reminding yourself this stage will pass before you know it!!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the support and ideas. Last night she more or less did the same thing. She falls asleep so easily whole feeding and I know she isn't getting a full 'meal'. But at a certain point I'm just so tired that I don't have the energy to even wake her up. She's also been eating a ton today. I'm hoping this is a short temporary faze.
  • Options
    Mine is 8 weeks and formula fed. We are going through the same thing. He just won't drink more than 2 oz. Typically he will drink 3-4 every 3-4 hours but this past week it's been smaller portions more often. I remember with DD this time was a growth spurt. If you download the app, Wonder Weeks, it gives you an idea of when growth spurts occur and what to expect. It was super helpful with DD and I'm finding that I am using it again. It is in no way a diagnosis but might give you some insight into why they are acting a certain way.
  • Options
    My son was like this too, he's now 11 weeks and still eating often during the day but now he is falling alseep around 9 nursing once in his sleep around 10 or 11 then will sleep until 6 or 7 am. I hope this happens for you! Hopefully it's just the 8 week growth spurt!
  • Options
    EK71183EK71183 member
    My 12 week old is breast fed and during the day she always eats about every 2 hours. It's completely normal. At night she sometimes stays on my boob pretty much the whole night before passing out for 10-11 hours straight. I fed her on demand. Its best to feed on demand versus trying to schedule feedings. Just trust your instincts and your baby. She knows what she needs and will let you know.