April 2015 Moms
Options

i need to rant

i have no idea if im being irrational right now but i had my baby last thursday at 3:30am i come out the hospital that day at 7:00pm my plan was to exclusive breastfeed well on friday my husbands mother decided to tell me i was going to kill my baby as i wouldnt give her water i was just giving her my boob hence exclusive breastfeeding i ended up giving her the water as i didnt want my baby to die did she have any right to tell me that shes had 13kids so to her she knows everything and the doctors know nothing let alone that was 20 years ago.

Re: i need to rant

• Options
    Don't listen to your MIL. I find it best to just to nod your head and then promptly ignore any of the advice given, or at least take it with a grain of salt until you can check it out.

Hope the breastfeeding is going well now.
  • Options
    My doctor said I don't need to give my baby water. I agree with @ewilson74, just nod your head and ignore. She may have raised 13 kids to be fine but they also used to drive without seat belts and we don't just do that because they used to. Things change over time.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    lmk115lmk115 member
    That sucks. I'm sorry! The others are right, there a lot of things that used to be done and we know better now. Try your best to ignore her and follow your instincts and doctors recommendations.
  • Options
    My doctor told me that babies get all of the nutrition they need from breast milk. Tell your MIL to shut up.
  • Options
    Don't give your newborn water! It is dangerous, as blergbot said. My doctors told me the same thing, and also told me that there is no need for them to have anything other than breastmilk/formula for the first year. ("Food before one is just for fun.")
  • Options
    No your breast milk is hydrating enough! The only thing you need to worry about is how much water YOU drink and that your getting enough calories ! Was she a formula feeder? Just let her know medicine is always changing and we know more now then we did then,
  • Options
    Sounds like she is ignorant and using fear tactics for some unknown reason. Guess what - your body makes the perfect food for your baby. It starts as watery and gets thicker throughout the session. She needs to step down before she does harm. Stick to your guns - and your instincts
  • Options
    Blergbot said:

It's actually dangerous to give a newborn water. They need the electrolytes and minerals from the breastmilk and water can dilute that good stuff. Please don't give your baby water!

This. Our doctor warned us that our moms might try to get us to give her water when the weather gets hotter. I believe he said that this could end up giving baby seizures. Breast milk has all they need in the way of hydration. Tell your MIL to suck it.
  • Options
    shrkfanshrkfan member
    I've heard too much water was dangerous also although my son is a month old and a little constipated. I switched his formula but the advise nurse had told me that we could give him up to 2 ounces a day of water. I was nervous and only gave him half an ounce (I know she's a nurse and obviously knows more than me but it's still nerve wracking). The water didn't help but my barely a sip of water was probably not enough for it to help his poop situation
  • Options
    no water till at least six months.. stick to the boob and tell your MIL that this is your child to raise!! she already had the chance to raise hers and that you'll ask if you want some advice about baby.. otherwise she can keep those comments to herself.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

imageimage