Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

help getting LO off of bottles

I can't seem to get my son completely off of bottles. During the day he only gets sippy cups and is fine with that, but at nap time and bed time he insists on having a bottle. He will throw a huge fit and not go to sleep until we switch his milk from a cup to a bottle. We have tried letting him just cry it out, but after so long it just seems mean and I can't do it, I just can't let him sit and scream and cry for hours. If you have any tips or suggestions they would sure help!

Re: help getting LO off of bottles

• How old is he?
  • DesignermommaDesignermomma member
    edited May 2015
    DS is 16 months and did the exact same until this weekend. We went on a road trip to my aunts house and didn't bring any bottles. He screamed in the car a long time but finally gave in and took the cup. He had no other choice. Today he fussed a bit but not as long and finally took it again. It's getting easier but persistence is key. I've had the most luck with the Nuk bottle with the sippy nipple in it. He also seems to like the Nuby cups pretty good too. I spent $16 on a Lollacup straw cup and he hates it. Just audition different cups and see what his preferences are then enforce the switch.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • bb2850bb2850 member
    My daughter is a year and a half. We started with the 360 degree cups to help wing her off of sippy cups. It's very similar to an actual cup, but no spills and it really helped her. She now drinks with a cup and straw. Little messy if she doesn't have her straw because she sometimes dumps it on herself lol. I highly recommend them! It was a little difficult at first, but she caught on quick!
  • While my 14 month old still takes her bottle at bed we use a sippy cup, or a straw cup for everything else. I am integrating the straw cup more and more so that she'll hopefully just rely on her sippy and straw cups forgetting about that bottle altogether. If she's super tired she will take her sippy at bed time without any fuss at all.