Parenting after 35

mother's day dilemma - WWYD

the short version: how do I make mothers day special for my mom without spending time with her?

The explanation: She had a rough year and has overused / abused our willingness to help her through it, to the point that it is hurting my relationship with her and intruding on the time DH, my son, and I should be bonding with our new baby. She needs to know this, but not on mother's day. I want to spend mother's day with my husband and kids, and no one else. But I want her to feel special after such a rough year.

Ideas? Not a spa day. She doesn't like that stuff.

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 8/2012, Miscarried 9/2012

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 6/2014, Miscarried 7/2014

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

Re: mother's day dilemma - WWYD

• Tickets to a show/concert/event - nice to have someone to go with
    Guided nature walk or class
    One of those painting classes with coffee/drinks
    Cooking class
  • @neonnoon - love the concert idea, but ticket prices are ludicrous on mother's day weekend. My mom doesn't like coffee, or tea, or alcohol, or cooking. (We have nothing in common).

I think I talked my brother into taking her to the botanical garden for a butterfly exhibit. we're still working on the details.

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 8/2012, Miscarried 9/2012

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 6/2014, Miscarried 7/2014

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

• Loading the player...
  • Love the idea of doing something with nature. Personally, seeing things in bloom is uplifting. Is there a restaurant in the area that has outside dining? Your brother could just take her for a nice meal.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Geeps2Geeps2 member
    I was going to suggest maybe going out for a meal, brunch, lunch dinner AFTER mother's day.  Explain if you can that Mother's day is so crazy that you would really like to spend the time with her and not feel rushed and then tell her you would like to celebrate with her on ___ (insert day) and we can do (whatever meal) at _____.  Then you can chat about whats been bothering you if it is venue appropriate.  That is what I would do if it were my Mom.  Good Luck!  Even with the best relationships I can't stand having to deal with Mother's day and I have a great relationship with my Mom.  It is a pain in the $%@#$%.  Throw the MiL in the mix and I just want to cancel the day altogether.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers