Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Desitin or A&D?

My daughter seems to have gotten a diaper rash overnight. I have Butt Paste which I have been using but now when I change and dress her bottom she is screaming. :-( I also have Desitin and A&D Ointment. Other then the Butt Paste, which would work faster the Desitin or A&D? Please help I hate to see her in any pain.  

Re: Desitin or A&D?

• Options
    Try to leave her out of the diaper as much as possible, but when you've got to put one on, between your options I'd use desitin. We're actually an aquaphor family, but have been know to use desitin when the other isn't an option.
  • Options

Try to leave her out of the diaper as much as possible, but when you've got to put one on, between your options I'd use desitin. We're actually an aquaphor family, but have been know to use desitin when the other isn't an option.
    I agree with this, air out as much as possible.  Maybe do some tummy time without a diaper (on a towel or blanket for ease of washing in case of peeing).  We personally use Aveeno diaper paste, but with your choices I would go with desitin.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

TTC #2... Hoping for PINK!

Clomid & Ovidrel Cycle #1

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    khaalid00khaalid00 member
    edited February 2015
    My LO experienced diaper rash from daycare at 3 months ...*tisk *tisk *tisk on them. My baby had a mild rash but hurts him obiviously. I used aquaphor and worked to clear it up fast. Now daycare and I use it on every diaper change with no rash incident again. Knocking on wood. Aquaphor works great from chapped lips and skin/face. A little goes a long way. Try Aveeno baby oatmeal bath, air dry area (blow dry), and diaper cream.
  • Options
    khaalid00 said:
    My LO experienced diaper rash from daycare at 3 months ...*tisk *tisk *tisk on them. My baby had a mild rash but hurts him obiviously. I used aquaphor and worked to clear it up fast. Now daycare and I use it on every diaper change with no rash incident again. Knocking on wood. Aquaphor works great from chapped lips and skin/face. A little goes a long way. Try Aveeno baby oatmeal bath, air dry area (blow dry), and diaper cream.

Aquaphor specifically says on its container to keep away from mouth/possible ingestion. I wouldn't be putting it on your lips. Lanolin works great for that.
  • Options
    I used A&D for every diaper change as a preventative ointment. It didn't work well as a healing ointment for me. Desitin Extra Strength was good with DD. Butt Paste didn't help us much. The best tip I got was to make sure they're really dry down there before putting the ointment on - like actually take a towel and pat dry the area before you apply ointment. If it gets really bad call and see if your Dr. will prescribe Nystatin cream - that stuff works miracles!
  • Options
    We're aquaphor people as well, but Desitin is my second choice. We do a light bit of it though and then add baby powder. LO wakes up all clear usually the next morning. Now that he's gotten really active he got a bad rash this week and it's taking a little bit more effort to get it to go away. I also give him a bath each night and just let him sit and soak for a bit and that helps as well. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Coconut oil is the best thing for diaper rash or to protect from diaper rash. I have been using it since new born and using cloth diapers. I know everyone has coconut oil in the kitchen its the last trend. You can use the same thing on LO. It will be the best thing you try.
  • Options
    We've used A&D on my son since birth and he's never had diaper rash (knock on wood). Your LO could actually be crying because she's allergic to the Desitin though, not just from the application aggravating her rash. My niece is exactly 1mth younger than my son & she had a horrible, severe allergic reaction to Desitin the first time my sister used it. Personally, I hate Desitin and the pastes, they're extremely difficult to get off your LO's bottom, I only used it on my son once & after using 5 wipes to get it off before a bath, I decided to stick with A&D, but use whatever works best for you.
  • Options
    pchungpchung member
    Breast milk is my first option and then Desitin is my second.  NICU sent us home with Desitin in case of butt rash.