Success after IF

I'm new here: Has anyone cycled while breastfeeding?

Hi, 

I'm sorry to just barge in without lurking. It's been a long time since I was on the bump boards, but I am at a loss. Literally and figuratively. I have two girls (4y and 2y) conceived via IVF. I have DOR, MTHFR and low AMH. My husband has MFI. I'm also 39. 

We always wanted a third, but didn't want to cycle again and thought we had about as much chance to conceive naturally as jumping off the roof, flapping our arms and flying to the moon. Except we did. I just had a miscarriage and D&C the other day at what should have been 7w. My betas were stellar. We saw the baby's heartbeat at 6w3d and it was gone 2 days later. I did have a whopping SCH.  When I went for an emergency u/s bc I was spotting (no cramps), my RE saw blood in the sac. 

The one thing this pregnancy and loss did for us was solidify our feelings that we want to have a 3rd baby. Except my 2y old is still nursing a few times a day (she nurses to sleep for nap and bed and then 1 or 2 times overnight). I really don't want to wean her, but I"m scared that IVF might be my only way to successfully carry a baby. I know my RE would want me to wean first, but I'm going to ask him that if my prolactin is reasonable, if he will consider letting me cycle. The meds don't cross into milk, so that isn't a concern. 

So, has anyone ever successfully cycled while breastfeeding? I'm really worried that I'm going to have to wean or hope that we defy the odds again and conceive naturally, which is just like getting struck with lightning twice. 

Dx: MFI, AMA, DOR, low AMH and homozygous c667t MTHFR

Re: I'm new here: Has anyone cycled while breastfeeding?

• mnj05mnj05 member
    No personal experience but two friends of mine cycled and went through part of pregnancy while nursing so it can be done! If you want some specifics answered, I can ask for you.

imagePhotobucket

TTC #1 since 3/2011
    DX: anovulatory and severe MFI
    DH is a testicular cancer survivor
    IVF#1 w/ICSI lupron, gonal f, ovidrel
    ER 6/15/12 6R 6M 6F! ET 6/20/12
    Beta #1: 154 Beta #2: 509 Beta #3: 7326
    Baby Boy born 3/1/2013
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC#2: 6/2014 all testing came back normal

IVF#2 (#1 for LO#2) 9/2014 - 17R 10M 10F 4 blasts frozen on day 6.

FET #1 10/15/14 - Beta #1: 216  Beta #2: 823

Baby Boy born 7/10/2015

• mnj05 said:

No personal experience but two friends of mine cycled and went through part of pregnancy while nursing so it can be done! If you want some specifics answered, I can ask for you.

I would really appreciate that. I've found a few girls who BF through an FET, but no one with a fresh cycle. Any advice they have on what they did or how they talked their RE into it would be appreciated. My toddler is very much not ready to wean, but I don't want to wait.

Dx: MFI, AMA, DOR, low AMH and homozygous c667t MTHFR

• Loading the player...
  • A fresh cycle and BF... I don't know.

For FET - I weaned my DD two mos prior (I did "don't offer, don't refuse" - not even once did she ask to nurse - at 16mo); FET was successful. On the other hand my DS enthusiastically asks to nurse 4-6 times a day (17mo), so not sure what that means for FET in 4-5 mos.

I've lost too many pgs (1 is too many) and say with gentle care:  Congrats on your recent pg; I am sorry for its loss.

FX for your future pg (FX conception, FX live birth).

Unexplained IF/RPL

TTC#1 2003 BFNs, 2004-2009 imageimageimageimageimage 5 angels above

2010 IVF-PGS-FET#1, DD b. Aug-2011 image

TTC#2 2012 BFNs, 2013 FET#2, DS b. Nov-2013 image

TTC#3 2015 BFNs, FET#3 image (my 6th and last angel above)

Journey Complete.

• mnj05mnj05 member
    I'm in and out of cell service today so I can give more info tomorrow but one of them said to look up all meds in Dr. Hale's Medications and Mother's Milk books. Some drugs are totally off limits while others are ok.

She did mention she only nursed to sleep at that point and would not do her injections until right after she put her son down for the night since he didn't nurse over night.

imagePhotobucket

TTC #1 since 3/2011
    DX: anovulatory and severe MFI
    DH is a testicular cancer survivor
    IVF#1 w/ICSI lupron, gonal f, ovidrel
    ER 6/15/12 6R 6M 6F! ET 6/20/12
    Beta #1: 154 Beta #2: 509 Beta #3: 7326
    Baby Boy born 3/1/2013

TTC#2: 6/2014 all testing came back normal

IVF#2 (#1 for LO#2) 9/2014 - 17R 10M 10F 4 blasts frozen on day 6.

FET #1 10/15/14 - Beta #1: 216  Beta #2: 823

Baby Boy born 7/10/2015

• So I did breastfeed through a fresh cycle - kind of. I breastfed through Lupron and didn't breastfeed during 10 days of stims. I actually thought we were done, but I was still getting milk when I squeezed my nipples. I got home from my ER and DD got right back to "boobie". I tried to limit her sessions to once or twice per day until my first beta. Not far after that she was back to her preferred 3-4x per day. I'm 12w now. 

I echo looking up all the meds prior to cycling. Lupron will tank your supply. But if your nursling just wants comfort, it may not matter. My prolactin was 14 (it won't be zero). I did tell my RE we were weaning, but he didn't seem concerned because my levels were low. I never bothered to tell him that she resumed nursing. 

I'm sorry for your loss. Good luck if you decide to cycle soon!
    TTC Since 3/2010
    Me-36, Unexplained Infertility, DH-35, all clear
    Clomid 50mg 12/2011 = BFN
    Clomid 100mg 1/2012 = BFN, with Cyst
    IVF #1 Lupron/Menopur/Gonal-f/HCG Trigger
    ER 4/19/12 = 11 retrieved, 6 fertilized,
    ET 4/22/12 = 2 transfered (day 3), remaining 3 weren't good enough to freeze
    Beta 5/3 = BFP, 87 Beta #2 5/7 560.9 Beta #3 5/9 1376.5 First u/s One Baby, 125bpm!
    Second u/s, 176bmp! Kicked over to the OB by the RE at 8w. Team Green!! 
    Baby girl J arrived two weeks early! Born into water, med-free. Hooray for Team Pink!

TTC #2 - back to the RE, treatment started 12/2014. 

• No advice, but I'm also still BF'ing my 18 mos 1-2 times a day. Toddlers are stubborn. Were you thinking about weaning soon anyway?

Good luck with your cycle and I'm sorry about your loss.
    IVF, acupuncture, meditation and a miracle. 

Our sweet Valentine's Day FET.