Baby Names

Some people

it really irks me so much some people do. This makes me mad because everyone is worried about spelling and yes I agree spelling is VERY important. But so is thinking about your child's future not just its future job and how it's name is going to sound on an application but in school kids are mean and my brothers wife just gave brith and she gave her kid a name that no matter how old you are it sounds like youre 80. Kids are mean these days and I know that from experience I still hate my name because someone in the kindergarden told me it was stupid, kids latch on to that stuff if you going to name your kid something classic make sure it's timeless and doesn't sound like your 80.

RANT OVER.

Re: Some people

• What's the name?
  • What name are we talking about?
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Love: March 2010  Marriage: July 2013  Debt Free: October 2014  TTC: April 2015
     BFP: April 10, 2016 EDD: December 19, 2016 Team Blue!
    Oscar born November 20, 2016 at 35w6d

• Loading the player...
  • actinup23 said:

I'm not a fan of the granny name trend either, but I would prefer that 1000x over a trendy, made up name that has no history or meaning.

Amen !
  • Kids who are going to get made fun of will have their name made fun of no matter what it is. I know a guy named Timothy who was always called "Tim Buck Tooth" to make fun of his name (and his teeth.)

In middle school, a group of girls hated a girl named "Kate" and used to chant "We hate Kate!" As well as rhyming Kate with "Shate"... And you can imagine what they really meant.
  • WHAT IS THE NAME???
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since September 2012
  • Was it Ethel? Or Bertha? I was thinking about the name Bertha this morning and how I really feel bad for anyone in the history of history who was ever named Bertha.

Edith maybe?
  • Gertrude?
  • queenwog said:

Was it Ethel? Or Bertha? I was thinking about the name Bertha this morning and how I really feel bad for anyone in the history of history who was ever named Bertha.

Edith maybe?

Bertha is definitely one of the old names even I can't get behind.

Personally, I quite like Ethel and Edith. 
  • Eh I would rather have name that sounds like an old lady vs on that sounds like a forever 3 year old.

• @koriemo Call me horrible, but "Tim Buck Tooth"? Genius! Good thing I'm not a teacher cuz I'd be having a hard time hiding the laughter while trying to defend that poor kid =))

But ugh, Bertha. Always makes me think of a cow. And Gertrude (ah, Gerty!)...blech.

Seriously though, I see people loving names like Archibald and Ignatius and I just can't stop shaking my head. Has it been so long since these parents saw their youths that they are this out of touch with how kids interact and behave? Archie will quickly become Baldy and Ignatius is just going to be Ignoramus (after a few years of flat-out "your name is weird").

People, man.
  • Also, @jnnfrrose6, I can't believe you said that. OP was sharing her experience, not describing a life ruled by unreasonable trauma.

I hate my names, too - know why? Because my first name, though very traditional and viewed as a classic, is bland and horribly common amongst women my age and my middle name is spelled atrociously (though my mom still defends it fiercely) and has people constantly assuming I'm a racial stereotype.

It's absolutely not unreasonable to consider the way other kids will handle your child's name, and personal experience is a great way to gauge that. Just don't swing to an extreme and you're good.
  • @NotISaidtheCat I stand behind what I said to OP. She hates her name as an adult because of what someone said to her in kindergarten. Who holds on to something like that for so long? It's one thing to not like your name because you find it common (your reasoning) and quite another to not like it because of kids being kids and not getting over it. Sure, consider the possible names kids could come up with, but you're only a kid for legally 18 years of your life. It's a fraction of time, and if you can't get over something from then and would use that as justification for ranting about someone's else's choice for their child's name, the issue isn't the name. It's the individual.
  • @koriemo Call me horrible, but "Tim Buck Tooth"? Genius! Good thing I'm not a teacher cuz I'd be having a hard time hiding the laughter while trying to defend that poor kid =)

You're horrible.
  • queenwog said:

Was it Ethel? Or Bertha? I was thinking about the name Bertha this morning and how I really feel bad for anyone in the history of history who was ever named Bertha.

Edith maybe?

Ethel acutally
  • @NotISaidtheCat I stand behind what I said to OP. She hates her name as an adult because of what someone said to her in kindergarten. Who holds on to something like that for so long? It's one thing to not like your name because you find it common (your reasoning) and quite another to not like it because of kids being kids and not getting over it. Sure, consider the possible names kids could come up with, but you're only a kid for legally 18 years of your life. It's a fraction of time, and if you can't get over something from then and would use that as justification for ranting about someone's else's choice for their child's name, the issue isn't the name. It's the individual.

Acutally I was made fun of for years into adulthood. I used kindergarden as an example not only because it's one incident that sucks but to show even young kids can be rude.
    I legal changed my name because I had been denied jobs because if it and even my boyfriend from when I was in college was embarrassed of my names. I feel bad for the kid that was my point.
  • There isn't anything wrong with Ethel.  It's legit just because it's not your style.  Actually old fashion  names are all the rage right now so she will likely be in school with Josephine, Ester, Miriam, Beatrice etc.  I don't think Ethel is going to cause any problems.  And like PP stated your brother picked it too. 

• 4N6s4N6s member
    Yeah... It could be worse, like Taylee or McCall (suggestions I've heard on fb)
  • @4N6s /dies at Taylee.

EDD for #1: 3/19/17
  • I think a little 4 year old Ethel, running around in pigtails with a tutu and sneakers, would be the cutest damn thing in the world.

(That's just the image that pops in my head)

Adorable.
    Me: 34  DH: 35
    Married 2010
    TTC: Feb 2014, BFP 7/14/14, CP 7/18/14
    BFP 3/10/15 - DD #1 born 11/19
    TTC #2: Oct 2017, BFP 12/19/17, CP 12/22/17
    BFP 2/20/18 - EDD 10/31/2018
  • saham07saham07 member
    jader124 said:

@NotISaidtheCat I stand behind what I said to OP. She hates her name as an adult because of what someone said to her in kindergarten. Who holds on to something like that for so long? It's one thing to not like your name because you find it common (your reasoning) and quite another to not like it because of kids being kids and not getting over it. Sure, consider the possible names kids could come up with, but you're only a kid for legally 18 years of your life. It's a fraction of time, and if you can't get over something from then and would use that as justification for ranting about someone's else's choice for their child's name, the issue isn't the name. It's the individual.

Acutally I was made fun of for years into adulthood. I used kindergarden as an example not only because it's one incident that sucks but to show even young kids can be rude.
    I legal changed my name because I had been denied jobs because if it and even my boyfriend from when I was in college was embarrassed of my names. I feel bad for the kid that was my point.

sad.....would you mind telling what your name was before you changed it?
  • 4N6s said:

Yeah... It could be worse, like Taylee or McCall (suggestions I've heard on fb)

Omg, my friend has one SIL named McCall and another named Taffy (that is her honest-to-God given name) and I just can't wrap my mind around giving a child either of those names!