High-Risk Pregnancy

Anyone else getting the Makena shot?

Hi all.  

I am 14w1d and will start getting the shot at 16 weeks due to giving birth at 35 weeks w/ my first/ incompetent cervix.  I am not find a ton of information about if it hurts bad afterwards and what not.  I was curious if anyone is taking it now, or about to like me. 

Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anyone else getting the Makena shot?

• I was on the p17 injections by alere this round due to pre term labor of unknown cause. I'm sure the injections are the same, just different manufacturer.

I started them at 16w and finished them at 36w. I'm currently 38w 2d pregnant and feel like this baby wants to stay in forever.

I had no side effects from the injections just pain at the injection site. Alere provided a home health nurse to come out and administer them even though I am a RN.

I received them weekly and just switched cheeks each week. They are thick, mixed in castor oil and given IM into the butt.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.
  • I've been taking the Makena shots now for about five weeks now. Prior to the shots I had daily progesterone suppositories. I honesty prefer the shots. The injection site is a little sore but not too bad. Some side effects I experienced are headaches (twice) and a little acne. Nothing too major.
  • Loading the player...
  • I appreciate you both commenting! The doctor is acting like there are pretty much no side effects, and I am getting nervous as it gets closer.  He also said I could choose between getting it in the hip or the arm.  Neither sounds appealing, but maybe the hip wouldn't be as bad. 

@nursemom83 that is awesome you are at 38 weeks, that gives me hope! Thank you for sharing. 

• I got it in my hip/butt muscle. Just sore. My nurse hit a blood vessel once which was a little painful but honestly, I never had any side effects. So that's good.

I delivered my son at 30 weeks and to tell you the truth, I am shocked that I am still pregnant! I have 12 days left which is insane! My doctor said I am a poster child for these injections.
  • I received them during my last pregnancy that made it to 16 weeks, after delivering my son at 35 weeks.  With him I went into pre-term labor at 25 weeks, got it stopped with magnesium drip, and then water broke at 26 weeks.  I was then on hospitalized bed rest for the duration.  We were going to induce at 36 weeks {he'd finally made the weight they were waiting on} but he had other plans and my water broke a 2nd time at 35w2d.  

With my daughter I started the Makenna shots at 16 weeks, and made it to 31 weeks before being hospitalized with pre-term labor, and going on magnesium drip.  I did deliver her at 32 weeks, but my babies both had SEVERE chromosome abnormalities that also caused the pre-term labor and deliveries, and with my daughter I also had extremely high levels of amniotic fluid, so then add magnesium drip swelling and a bladder infection causing me to go 12+ hours without peeing, and BAM here comes baby.

It does do it's job, really it does.  The company shipped the shots to me, and then I took them with me and had a nurse at my OB office administer them weekly for me.  They were shipped with 18 gauge needles, HOLY OUCH LADIES!!!!  My dr's office only did that once, and switched me to a 21 gauge needle.  It does take longer for the injection to go in with the smaller needle, but I don't even feel that needle so they can stay in there all day if they wanted LOL.  I had almost no injection site tenderness with the smaller needle either.
    imageimage
    imageimage
    image 05.06 @4w | 08.06 @5w | 03.07 @9w01.04.10 {RIP} AML | 09.11 @6w | 02.12 @7w10.22.12-11.04.12 {RIP} ASL | 09.13 @12wimage
  • I am on week 5 of my make a shot..I have no side effects except for itching around the butt area. I am still nervous about delivering early because my cervical length at my 19 week u/s was 2.7 cm. I have placed myself on strict bed rest cause my doc doesn't believe in it..I suffer with IC and I am on my 8th preg with 1 living child born at 31 wks. The doc thinks that cerclage wouldn't work for me this time around cause I went into preterm labor with both of my last pregnancies. I read a lot of everyone's stories and they give me hope that I will at least last until 35 weeks...don't know what else I should do..
  • I am on week 5 of my make a shot..I have no side effects except for itching around the butt area. I am still nervous about delivering early because my cervical length at my 19 week u/s was 2.7 cm. I have placed myself on strict bed rest cause my doc doesn't believe in it..I suffer with IC and I am on my 8th preg with 1 living child born at 31 wks. The doc thinks that cerclage wouldn't work for me this time around cause I went into preterm labor with both of my last pregnancies. I read a lot of everyone's stories and they give me hope that I will at least last until 35 weeks...don't know what else I should do..

An Incompetent cervix is a nerve wracking experience. Please feel free to pm me if you want to chat. I am also on week 5 of progesterone. Hugs to you.

• Thank you so much..I appreciate that..I am taking it day by day..in some cases hour by hour...I have an u/s scheduled for tomorrow..I'm hoping either the cervix got a little longer or at least stayed the same..wish me luck!