Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

early signs of CP?

My 4 month old son has tortocollis and we have been in PT for 3 weeks now, he has a hard time looking left but its getting better. I still notice that he doesn't use his left arm/hand as much. Occasionally he will but not nearly as much as the right hand. Could this be from the tortocollis? He is getting better at tummy time, still not a huge fan but holding his head up and has rolled a few times. When I hold him up to stand he will put weight on his legs but he doesn't jump or anything. His movements seem jerky to me, not controlled. Are these early signs of CP? I had a normal pregnancy, he was a VBAC and came pretty fast. No issues at birth. 

Do these seem like early signs? 

Re: early signs of CP?

• Options

You really should ask a medical professional these questions BUT...my DD had torticollis and was in PT from 4 weeks old, until 4 months old and using one arm predominantly over the other IS something that tort babies do. 

Our physical therapist was very helpful with questions like this and gave me guidelines for tort babies, what I should be watching for and what is normal for my daughter. Maybe ask your PT or your Pedi?

Better to be safe than sorry and no question is a dumb question.

• Options
    Yes I for sure will bring this up to the doctor at next Pedi appt. I asked my PT at his last appointment and she mentioned that tort babies can look like they are hypotonic in the weak side and if she noticed any signs she would let me know. 

Did your daughter start to use her hand once her tort was resolved? 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes I for sure will bring this up to the doctor at next Pedi appt. I asked my PT at his last appointment and she mentioned that tort babies can look like they are hypotonic in the weak side and if she noticed any signs she would let me know. 

Did your daughter start to use her hand once her tort was resolved? 
  • Options
    My 4 month old is nearly over tort and is starting to use the left hand/ leg more often. Not sure about the rest but development can be slow on the opposite side due to some neglect from the tort.