1st Trimester

Do cheap strip tests stop getting darker after they've reached the same colour as the control line?

Elle387Elle387 member
edited April 2015 in 1st Trimester
I'm around 5 weeks 4 days pregnant.

I started testing around 10 dpo (not sure exactly how many days dpo as I had only just come off the contraceptive pill so hadn't had a full cycle!) and got a faint positive. I tested the next day and had a clear blue digital positive 1-2 weeks.

Since then I've tested everyday on the blue strip tests (amazon) and they have been getting darker each day, to the point where the test line was slightly darker than the control line (3 days ago). However, since then the tests have stayed the same, all coming up slightly darker than the control line, but not getting any darker.

Is it normal for the test line to stop getting darker after a certain amount of time? I'm around 20 dpo now.

This is my first pregnancy and I'm completely unsure what's normal and what's not!

Thank you!

Best Answer

Re: Do cheap strip tests stop getting darker after they've reached the same colour as the control line?

• Ah thank you. I'm just a worrier. I've seen people's test line get darker and darker online until the control line was almost nonexistent, so assumed mine would do the same (even though I'm using cheap strip tests), and panicked when it didn't! I will stop testing now if that's the case. Thank you for putting my mind at rest!
  • Loading the player...
  • Aw none of that, sweet lady. Don't do this to yourself. 

I took a second test because i am a worrier too, it seems. And the "omg pregnant!" line was really faint. I freaked out and trawled message boards and finally went TO THE VENDOR WEBSITE. 

The vendor website clearly stated that the strength of the line was an indication of nothing other than the dye in the test (some tests are better manufactured than others) - if the line is there, faint or dark, you're pregnant. It is a yes/no test only. :)