August 2015 Moms
Options

Switching providers

Is anyone else considering switching providers? From the beginning I was not sure about the group I am using. I went into my last appointment ready to ask my questions. Their answers were all good until they said they are hiring per Diem midwives. They will only take call but never see patients in the office. So basically they will just deliver.
Just wanted to see if anyone has any experience with switching and how you came to the decision.

Re: Switching providers

• Options
    If you aren't happy now, I would switch. You will only be having more interaction with them over the last months of your pregnancy.

I switched practices at 30w during my first pregnancy. We weren't happy with out interactions with anyone- the doctors, PAs, staff. It was the best move. Now that I am having another, I see the difference I the quality of care between the two offices.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers   
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I'm also considering switching, I'm 24 weeks and I'm still exploring options on where I want to deliver, my current dr. Only delivers at one hospital, so if I choose another hospital I will be switching.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I switched at 24 weeks and am very happy with our decision. Our previous doctor was the same way and I didn't feel comfortable without some type of dr/patient relationship. Go with your gut instinct.
  • Options
    I recently switched Drs. My dr. I was with had no bed side manner at all. I just decided to go with a midwife from now on. They are so much nicer.
  • Options
    Switch before it becomes too far along. I switched diffrent drs and finally a diffrent clinic. Best choice I made. The midwife I was with in the very very beginning was terrible. So when she left I switched to a dr in the practice. She was a talker.....and if she were to be in the room when I deliver I may have screamed at her. So I switched practices. Now I'm happy, it took a while but I found the right fit for me and my baby. :) good luck! Just make sure if you change clinics to do a release of records, and hound them about it!
  • Options
    I did the same when I was pregnant with DS. It was an easy transition. You're paying for your care so you deserve to be happy with it. Now, I have an amazing OB and care staff. It was worth it!
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I switched during my last pregnancy at 26wks.  I didn't have a single regret, and I still love my doc!  I say, if you have any doubts or aren't comfortable, SWITCH!!

Cody Lane - 4/22/2004
    Colten James - 9/9/2005

Isabella Ann - 7/20/2012

SURPRISE!!!  Emma Leigh - due 8/27/2015 (c-section date 8/7/2015)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you everyone! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one and it's not too late!
  • Options
    So I just found out today, that not only is my ob moving out of state in June, one of the dr.'s is leaving as well. A third no longer does prenatal and the practice will likely be sold to the hospital and there's no telling what will happen then. I'm a little bummed, since I'd prefer to deliver at that hospital, but with so many unknowns I'm switching to another dr. that delivers at a different hospital. You are not alone in switching this far along.
  • Options
    WDDCHWDDCH member
    When I was pregnant with my third my OB started prattling on about a two-week-early induction. Then he changed his tune to "May as well do a cesarean... two weeks early."

Mind you, there was NO REASON. I was so distraught by this behavior and attitude that he was having that I wasn't sleeping. He literally gave me nightmares. Is a cesarean the end of the world? No! But to suggest it to a woman who had two previous vaginal births and who was low-risk with zero problems? And why two weeks early if doing a cesarean? I just didn't get it. He started talking like this after I shared my birth plan (for a natural birth) with him.

I switched to a midwife group at another hospital at 37 weeks pregnant. I had my baby girl five day post dates, after my water broke on its own when I was trying to nap at home. No complications, no drama. I felt that for desiring a natural birth it was probably best to have the midwifery model of care and they had a great OB team as backup for any possible complications.

I am a firm believer in making a switch at any time if you're uncomfortable. Your baby's birth is a major deal. It should be entrusted to a team you love and that respects you.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    That is exactly how I am feeling. What is going to stop someone with no ties to the practice from hurrying me along? I found a midwifery group with a cesarean rate of 5%. I made my appointment with them and I am starting to feel much better about my decision the more I walk myself through the reasons.
  • Options
    SKLLH23SKLLH23 member
    I had worried about switching, so I called my insurance provider first to ask what the process would be like. They reassured me that care provider changes during pregnancy were very common, and there was minimal additional paperwork and really no change in cost. Armed with that knowledge, and knowing that the group I wanted to go to was considered in-network, I switched just after my 20 week appt. It was a smooth transition and I am much more comfortable now. There was some minor paperwork involved, but it took only a couple of minutes, and was mostly a questionnaire for the new provider.
    Like so many previous posters, I say make the switch. If you feel the desire to change, make sure it makes sense for your financially (are they covered by your insurance or do you know their rates of service) and personally (do they provide the type of care and birth experience you desire) and go for it.
  • Options
    I'm glad I came across this.  I am 24wks right now and have gone back and forth about switching.  I have been with my Gyno\OB for the last 13yrs.  When I became pregnant, switching wasn't even on my radar.  They have 2 offices, one is 5min from my work (so it's convenient for quick appointments and gyno appts) and their other one is about 15-20min from work, which is where I need to deliver.  The hospital is about 35-40min from where I live!

We have a hospital that is pretty new 10mins from our house, that my husband said we should check out to deliver instead.  I don't have any emotional connection with my Gyno/OB, it's just convenient and where I've been going for so long.

Has anyone ever switched doctors, just so they can deliver closer to home??
  • Options
    SKLLH23SKLLH23 member

That was one the factors that caused me to switch. My original OB/Gyn delivers in a hospital about 30 minutes from my home in a very bust part of the city, and the one I have switched to is only 10-15 minutes away from home with much less traffic around it. If you have a nice new facility available and close to home, you may as well take a tour and consider it as an option. Amazingly, the new practice takes their appointments in the same building as the old ones, which is conveniently close to the office, but they deliver in the closer hospital. Be picky! You might find a great combo of locations, too!
  • Options
    SKLLH23 said:

That was one the factors that caused me to switch. My original OB/Gyn delivers in a hospital about 30 minutes from my home in a very bust part of the city, and the one I have switched to is only 10-15 minutes away from home with much less traffic around it. If you have a nice new facility available and close to home, you may as well take a tour and consider it as an option. Amazingly, the new practice takes their appointments in the same building as the old ones, which is conveniently close to the office, but they deliver in the closer hospital. Be picky! You might find a great combo of locations, too!
    THANK YOU!!!  You just convinced me to take a tour :)    Doesn't hurt right???  That's what options are for.  Will be nice too for follow ups the first months and I want my pediatric dr. to be out closer to home as well.  Thank you again!