November 2015 Moms
Options

Any moms of older children here?

My boyfriend and I have 9 and 10yr old daughters.  They're incredibly excited about the pregnancy.  I was wondering if anyone else had children in elementary school or older and how your children are reacting to the newest member of the family. 
June Siggy Challenge image

Re: Any moms of older children here?

• Options
    I have three boys, my oldest is 7 and in first grade.  He is so excited and couldn't wait to tell his teacher and friends at school.  He will ask to listen to my belly to try and hear the baby, even though I tell him that the baby is way too small for him to hear or feel anything.  He will randomly blurt out that he is so excited for the baby.  He is just really sweet and excited but this isn't a surprise since he is such a good big brother to my 5 year old and 2 year old.  :)
  • Options
    That's really sweet.  My 9yr old loves to give the baby a play by play of what I'm eating so Sprout (nickname for the baby) knows what it's "tasting."  The 10yr old's mother just gave birth to a baby boy April 2 so she loves explaining to me and the 9yr old what is going on with this baby and grossing the 9yr old out with tales of diapers gone wrong.  lol. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We have a five year old in kindergarten. He will be six in June and he doesn't know yet. We've had two losses this year and don't want to involve him in the disappointment if something goes wrong.

He will be very excited when we tell him. He wants a baby brother or sister pretty badly.
    DS- June 2009

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Me, I have a 14 year old daughter and a 9 year old daughter. Then of course my 19 month old.
  • Options
    VexyMommyVexyMommy member
    edited May 2015
    I'm sorry for your loss. 

Something I'm so glad I did when I told our girls is to video the event.  Their response was priceless.  The 9yr old's first response was, "Can I name it and dress it up in costumes?"  lol. 
  • Options
    My oldest is 7 :)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options

Me, I have a 14 year old daughter and a 9 year old daughter. Then of course my 19 month old.

How did your older girls take the news? 
  • Options
    I have a step daughter who is 9 years old. Between the two of us we have 3 girls and 1 boy. This will be our first child together. They all took it well and hope it's a boy except for my youngest. She is 5. At first she didn't like the idea but now she is excited to be a big sister.
  • Options
    My dd just turned 8. She is beyond excited!!
  • Options
    urby87urby87 member
    edited May 2015
    My 8yo (well, 8 in June) stepson has been asking on both sides (his bio mom is getting married this month) when we're going to have a baby.  He was pretty pumped!
  • Options
    Does anyone who had their children pretty far apart have trouble remembering some of the things from last time or are you guys surprised by some of the new stuff that's available?  I've been pretty stoked about the cool stuff that didn't exist last time I was baby shopping. 
  • Options
    I have 4 sons aged 8, 15, 16 and 19. They took it really well. My 19yo likes to tease me about my pregnancy issues (all for fun). My 16yo doesn't say much. My 15yo asked me a while ago if I was dealing with morning sickness yet. My 9yo is super excited. He says he wants a cute babu sister. He has td me what he wants the nursery to look like and he enjoys shopping for baby things.lol
  • Options
    dlittle5 said:

I have 4 sons aged 8, 15, 16 and 19. They took it really well. My 19yo likes to tease me about my pregnancy issues (all for fun). My 16yo doesn't say much. My 15yo asked me a while ago if I was dealing with morning sickness yet. My 9yo is super excited. He says he wants a cute babu sister. He has td me what he wants the nursery to look like and he enjoys shopping for baby things.lol

That's awesome.  I'm trying to keep my girls feeling involved by getting their input on things like names, nursery themes and colors and stuff like that.  Are some of you other moms keeping your older children involved or are they cool with just being along for the ride? 
  • Options
    I have an 11 year old daughter. She's been asking for a sibling since she was 5, lol. She is beyond excited and the best part is she's the same age apart to her little sister to come as I am to my little sister. I can't wait for her to share the amazing bond between sisters!
  • Options
    VexyMommy said:

Does anyone who had their children pretty far apart have trouble remembering some of the things from last time or are you guys surprised by some of the new stuff that's available?  I've been pretty stoked about the cool stuff that didn't exist last time I was baby shopping. 

I completely forgot about how many clothes and blankets they go through until I had a conversation with my boss. Haha! It will definitely be starting over and having to remember a lot! I'm excited for all the new things that are out too that we didn't get to use the first time around :)
  • Options
    I have a 19 year old and a 15 year old, and my DH has a 15 year old and a 10 year old.  So we have 4 older boys, and they are all very positive about it.  My DH's 15 year old and my 19 year do not currently live with us, my 19 year old is away at college.  But my 15 year old and his 10 year old do, and they have been pretty excited, especially my 15 year old. He even offered to let the new baby share a room with him.  The 10 year old is a little less excited, but he seems happy enough with it, he just doesn't talk about it much.  He is the baby right now, so that will be a big change for him.  He says he is happy not to be the youngest anymore. 
  • Options
    I have a 5 year old daughter. And she is so excited! Last night she did the most perfect thing. She asked me if she could kiss the baby good night. So she kissed nmy belly, gave my belly a very gentle hug and whispered "I love you, baby" I had to leave the room to cry. It was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen
  • Options

I have a 5 year old daughter. And she is so excited! Last night she did the most perfect thing. She asked me if she could kiss the baby good night. So she kissed nmy belly, gave my belly a very gentle hug and whispered "I love you, baby" I had to leave the room to cry. It was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen

That is wonderful. I love the sweet moments between siblings. It makes the moments they're definitely not sweet so much more bearable.
  • Options
    Noey80Noey80 member
    I have a 13 year old son, 7 year old daughter, 4 and 3 year old sons. My 13 year old is such a huge help
  • Options
    I have a 19yr old daughter and a 3yr old son. It was definitely like relearning everything! My oldest is a girl so she is super excited. I let her help me with the pregnancy announcement!
  • Options
    Not really much "older" but I have a 5 year old son. He'll be 6 when LO arrives. He doesn't know yet but has been telling me for months how he wants a brother AND a sister. We're waiting until I'm 14 weeks to tell him. He just wouldn't understand the loss if God forbid something were to happen. 4 more weeks, I don't know if I can wait that long.
  • Options
    We have a 8 year old,6 year old and 5 year old. They are all unbelieveably excited for their baby to come!!! I tell them Turkey day is pretty far away. They always try talking and rubbing my belly since they found out.
  • Options
    sla626sla626 member
    12 yr old and 11 yr old and they adore their 18 month old little
    Brither and are super
    Excited for their new baby brother to come too:)
  • Options
    My mother did but she had my brother andI 17 years apart hahah
  • Options
    Kanne0729Kanne0729 member
    edited May 2015
    My oldest is 5 and he seems to be super excited for this baby. He wants a sister which I'm surprised at because he already has two. I did sense a little bit of jealousy yesterday from him when we were talking about the baby, but that is totally normal and inevitably going to happen.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I have a 7 year old daughter and two boys that will be going into preschool this next school year and all are very excited. They all have a specific sex they'd like to be but no other issues at all. I do suspect my youngest will need some adjustment time when baby k arrives because he's my clingy nomads boy.
    I'm sure your girls will do lovely. I know my oldest loves being a big sister and acts as a second mom.
  • Options
    I have a 17 year old son and due with second on 11-9-15
  • Options
    I have a 13 year old & 5 year old . They are both super excited! My daughter really really doesn't want another brother though. She's rooting for a girl big time. I'm scared she will be disappointed if it's another boy. And of course my son wants a brother. He said he doesn't want another sister because all they do is "get ready and be fabulous and stuff" lol! We couldn't stop laughing! Love all my little boogers :x
  • Options
    VexyMommy said:

How did your older girls take the news? 
    My girls are so excited!! They're convinced this one has got to be a boy. My oldest is trying to make us love the name Xavier. lol
  • Options
    I have a stepdaughter who will be twelve in a few weeks. We haven't told her yet, though.
  • Options
    Congratulations ladies. It's nice to know I'm not the only one in the relearning boat. <:-P
  • Options
    I have 9 & 7 year old step daughters. The older one was ecstatic from the moment she heard the news, the younger one took about a week to accept it. She's bummed that she won't be the 'baby' of the family but now she won't stop talking about baby!! Give them time, they will love their new sibling. :)