July 2015 Moms
Options

Need Advise please!!!

i just had an amazing job interview and they seem to love me. Might get called for second interview in a day or so. My family really needs this job! I did a good job of concealing baby bump and did not mention my pregnancy, because I have done so upfront before and of course no call backs! So of course now I'm worried when to say something since I'm due July 22 and always seem to give birth a week early. It's a smaller company that has a huge project over the next 3 months and I would be taking over the admin job as she is moving on to help with the project. Should I tell them during the second interview which is with the CFO and Vice President? Should I wait until they make me an offer? Should I give it a month to prove myself (if they hire me) before saying something? I'm such an honest person but being too honest has hurt my chances at making money before the baby. Grrrr what would you do??

Re: Need Advise please!!!

• Options
    I would wait for an offer.  They can not discriminate against you because you are pregnant, but if they find out ahead of time it's hard to imagine they wouldn't quietly count that against you.
  • Options
    I would not say anything. You are not lying you are just not telling ;) why don't you think you got any of the other jobs? Don't give these guys anymore credit. Pregnant women get discriminated against all the time in the work place.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    AR25AR25 member
    Yes!!! It happen at my last job. 3 weeks after telling them I was fired. So I got a lawyer.
  • Options
    I am exactly in the same boat as you are... I know how you feel... But don't tell as of yet.. Wait until you have an offer... I am in canada and we get 15 weeks of mat leave and I will take the whole share of parental leave coming to a period of 52 weeks in total. I am 26 weeks pregnant and when I interviewed I was 16 weeks. I want to wait till my probation is over but now I can't hide it anymore so will most likely tell next week. If they fire me they will be doing so at my probationary review and I will have enough hours by then to qualify for employment insurance. So I would suggest not to worry and not tell them till you have the offer. This way even if they discriminate against you, you have evidence of an offer. Good luck and don't worry!!!
  • Options
    I wouldn't say anything. They shouldn't discriminate but they are likely to hire someone who won't be needing time off. Good luck!!!
  • Options
    AR25AR25 member
    sabisd said:

I think I'm the only one with the opposite opinion. They are looking for someone for a specific time frame for a big project and it sounds like you would be leaving before it's done. As a director myself that manages a staff and hires, if I provided a specific timeline because we needed help I would be extremely dissaponted that the person wasn't honest with me, because if you can't commit to the three months maybe it is not the right job for you. It will probably hurt someone else in the company who has to pick up the work. I don't think it's discrimination if you can't commit to what they are specifically asking for, it means you are not a good fit and are mis-representjng yourself. I personally would feel like I was tricking them and would feel bad.

• Options
    AR25AR25 member
    Thank you. I'm so honest and I already feel bad that I didn't say anything. Guess it's time to sleep on it and figure out when and how to let them know. It breaks my heart because I feel like I'm ruining a chance to get my family back on track financially after being rock bottom for nearly a year. If it's meant to be it will be.
  • Options
    Tell them if you get the second interview and right vibe. I landed a job 13 weeks pregnant and was then contacted by another great opportunity over a month ago. When the new opportunity called I told the HR VP over the phone before the interview. Interviewed and was offered the position and am now finishing my 3rd week. It is 3 miles from mu house and they gave me more money. With one toddler and expecting our second it is a dream position and so close to home. Do what you feel is best. If it is meant to ve it will work out. Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    AmommyBAmommyB member
    Given what you have said about the position (the special project etc.) I agree with the posters that being honest is the best policy. I did have a friend that was hired for a company when she told them on her second interview that she was expecting. I totally get the difficulty of the subject though. Despite what people in management or human resources say, unfortunately a pregnant women is a red flag. That is just the reality that we live in. You may initially have a hard time finding a company willing to take the risk but the good news is a decent company looking for a long term member can look past something like a pregnancy and see you for your long term value. I wish you the best of luck in your search. Who knows? Hopefully something good may come from you telling this company the whole truth and it won't be the scenerio you fear.
  • Options
    While I'm a firm believer that witholding the truth is lying, I would not mention anything until an offer is on the table.
  • Options
    AR25 said:

Thank you. I'm so honest and I already feel bad that I didn't say anything. Guess it's time to sleep on it and figure out when and how to let them know. It breaks my heart because I feel like I'm ruining a chance to get my family back on track financially after being rock bottom for nearly a year. If it's meant to be it will be.

If it were me and it was coming down to keeping my family afloat I would put my family first and not say a word until you have the offer.  Family comes first and you can worry about the rest later.  I am an extremely honest person and it would be hard for me too, but if you don't look out for the best interests of your family who will?

I had sort of a similar situation.  For the last two years I was babysitting for a little boy in our home.  Loved him, thought his parents were great, etc.  We found out we were expecting before 4w, I didn't tell his mother until I was almost 13w.  I felt bad but I have to look out for my family.