August 2015 Moms

Glucose Testing

Hi ladies!  So...I just barely failed my initial glucose test, so now I have to go back in for the big 3 hour test.  Anything I should know in advance as far as what to expect, things to bring with me, etc?  Should I bring someone with me to drive me home?  Or is that going overboard?  Right now...all I know is that the drink is awful!!! :(

Re: Glucose Testing

• mrieemriee member
    Omg I'm going in for mine in two weeks I didn't know if you fail it you have to take another one! Erg file this under things in pregency no ones tells you. Sorry I can't help but please update this once you actually have the test
  • I just had my screening and I loved the drink. But I won't know for sure if I have to go back or not. However, if I did, I would probably bring some magazines, water for latter, snacks for latter, and iPad !!! Good luck
  • Loading the player...
  • You shouldn't need anyone to drive you. It's the same as the 1 hour, just longer. I'd just bring a book or something to keep you occupied. Good luck.
  • Definitely something to keep you busy cause technically you're stuck there for 4 hours and aren't allowed to be too active. They draw your blood when you 1st get there. And then just like the original test they draw it after an hour when you finish the drink & then 2 additional times. Thankfully only drinking the drink once.
  • I'm going to get the 1 hour test done Monday and I'm pretty nervous because I ate like crap in the first tri because of a personal situation I was in and now I'm trying to eat better even though all I want is sweets lately! and hoping I'm I pass! I really don't want to do the 3 hour test ! I'm so dreading that !
    Can anyone inform me what exactly you do for the 1 hour glucose test? Like do they only take one tube of blood or more?
  • The drink is just a little more sugary. I failed the one hr at the beginning of the week but passed the 3hr.
  • I had to do the same thing with my oldest. At the 3 hour one I got so weak and sick feeling I was glad my mom was with me because I felt to bad to drive. From what I've heard most people do ok with it but I personally am dreading going for my 1 hour test this coming week
  • I brought my laptop and headphones so I could watch a movie while I waited. Good Luck!
  • I wish someone had driven me to my 3-hr test with DD1. My final draw had my blood sugar at 47 and I didn't think about bringing any food with me. By the time I made it somewhere to get food my hands were shaking so badly I could barely get it into my mouth. I recommend bringing a book (or tablet, Kindle, whatever) and a snack for after. if there is a local mom's group he might ask around to see the best place to go. I did that with my last and ended up in a recliner for 3 hours and took a nap between draws.
    DS1: 8/3/10, DD1: 8/17/13, DD2: 8/13/15
    Twins lost to due to partial molar pregnancy: September 2011 
    ~~PAL, PgAL Always Welcome~~
  • mrieemriee member
    I find if I don't eat something by 9 in the morning I'll throw up. Anyone think this might be a sign I'll fail? As drinking only makes me feel worse
  • I failed the 1 hr but passed the 3 hr. I got really sick as my last draw was 50. I am hypoglycemic though. My OB had told me to bring snacks and a juice for after the final draw. Once I had some juice I felt fine.
    The drink is more sugary and more in quantity. Some woman feel a little nauseous, but I was ok. I brought my ipad and ipod to pass the time. You will do great!
  • You shouldn't need anyone to drive you. Bring something to do though definitely as it kinda sucks. I barely failed my 1 hour with my daughter and passed the 3 hour just fine. My sister failed the 1 hours with all of her first 3 kids but passed the 3 hours all just fine. They finally let her skip the 1 hour with her last LO. I'm just expecting to fail the 1 hour again in a few weeks to be honest. I blame bad genetics :P
  • Ugh I have this next week I believe. My dr office now has everyone do a 2 hour test instead of a 1 and then 3 if you fail because apparently it's more accurate. I'm dreading sitting there for so freaking long at the boring lab. I guess I will bring my iPad with me since there is literally nothing in the immediate area to do, and you can't really leave since you have to be there for them to do the blood draws on the hour marks.
    Team Pink! Baby Girl due 8.2.15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm going to get the 1 hour test done Monday and I'm pretty nervous because I ate like crap in the first tri because of a personal situation I was in and now I'm trying to eat better even though all I want is sweets lately! and hoping I'm I pass! I really don't want to do the 3 hour test ! I'm so dreading that !
    Can anyone inform me what exactly you do for the 1 hour glucose test? Like do they only take one tube of blood or more?

My eating habits haven't been the greatest either but I passed my 1 hr. At my test, I went to the docs office, the receptionist gave me the drink (mine was orange flavored and tasted like a really sweet orange kids drink) told me I had to drink it in less than 5 minutes. As soon as I finished it she started a timer. I had my regular OB appointment and then waited around until the rest of the hour was up. Then my nurse took a few drops of blood via the finger prick method, I waited for a few minutes and then she came back and told me it was good. For me, It wasn't as bad as some of the previous threads have made it out to be.
  • WDDCHWDDCH member
    Sorry if I repeat anyone. Basically you're stuck at the lab that whole time. Bring a book or word search or whatever you like to do.

I did the 3-hr once when checking to see if I had insulin resistance due to PCOS. I wasn't pregnant for this. I was allowed to have water after the first draw and I liked that. Each place seems to have their own rules.

I started feeling ill toward the end because I think my blood sugar was crashing. So bring a high protein snack to eat once you finish the last draw. They let me lay down in a room that had a bed the last hour.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Alis+Alis+ member
    I did the 2 hours test yesterday. The drink is really awfull!! Have a bottle of water with you in order to wash your mouth. Definitely take a book or something. And a snack if your home isn't close enough. Good luck :-)
  • Is the one hour test normally a finger prick or arm draw?
  • amk013amk013 member
    edited May 2015
    Just bring something to entertain you. I didn't mind the drink at all. Bring a snack to eat before you leave. I felt a little shaky by the end of it. I did mine yesterday because I failed my one hour one. Still waiting on results and freaking out! I really don't want sweets taken away! I've already lost alcohol, rare steak, and soft serve!!
  • amk013amk013 member
    ambercdc said:

Is the one hour test normally a finger prick or arm draw?

Mine was an arm draw. Then for the 3 hour, it's four arm draws.
  • Ladies, you are amazing!  Thank you so very much for all of your advice!  This info is very helpful!  For all of you that have this test on your radar - putting good thoughts out into the world that your results come back negative!  Thank you again :)
  • ambercdc said:

Is the one hour test normally a finger prick or arm draw?

My 1-hour was a finger prick this time but I have had arm draws in the past for the 1 hour so I think it varies.

I'm a little curious about how accurate the finger pricks are given that my 1-hour draw had my blood sugar at 182 and my 1-hour value for the 3-hour test was 103. I fasted intentionally before the 3-hour as instructed and unintentionally before the 1-hour since I forgot about my appointment and was in a rush to get there on time.

DS1: 8/3/10, DD1: 8/17/13, DD2: 8/13/15
    Twins lost to due to partial molar pregnancy: September 2011 
    ~~PAL, PgAL Always Welcome~~
  • My results are 125 . Eeeeek but looks like it's still in range. Hope I don't do the three hour test
  • My one hour today was an arm draw. Really hoping I passed!