August 2015 Moms

Teacher Mamas

If you are breastfeeding/pumping, how do you plan on making it work when school is back in session?  I'm pretty clueless.

Re: Teacher Mamas

• I won't have to worry about it this time around, but with my first daughter I pumped at work. I'm a science teacher so I had it a little easier. I have a storeroom that has a fridge and sink. The door has no windows and a lock. I pumped during my one plan period, lunch break, and right after school. I got good enough at it that it took me about 35 minutes from start to finish. I didn't wash my pump parts until that evening. I'd put them in a ziplock in the fridge. All my parts and bottles where in a lunch box to hide them enough, since it was a shared fridge.
  • dkizz82dkizz82 member
    I am wondering the same thing. I am lucky that I am an ESL pullout/ pushin teacher so I pretty much can set my own schedule and work a few breaks in there. I hope to pump at least 3 times a day. I'll just lock my door and sit at my desk and pump. :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • First time around I didn't. If my schedule is anything like it is this year I don't see how I'll have any time. We're on a/b schedule and on my a days I start at 7:40 and don't get a break until 12:15 (only 30 min)... And I have no idea where I'd go to do it! I'd've paranoid doing it in my room... Knowing my luck they'd come in for the trash even if my door was locked lol
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I teach high school and I asked my boss to spread out my plan periods and my lunch. I know it'll be tight but I'm gonna give it a try.
  • I will do something like this again.

Either nurse or pump right before leaving for work.
    Pump during my planning time mid-morning.
    Possibly pump over lunch.
    Possibly pump before leaving work.
    Nurse as soon as I get home.

I found I did not have a lot of time to interact with others. I never went to lunch, I was either pumping, making copies, or planning. I almost always graded papers while pumping (thank you hands free pumping bra!) It was not easy, but I was proud that I pumped till DD turned 1. If I get a big stash like last time, I won't pump as long this time.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers   
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I am wondering this same thing! There are very few true 'planning times' that I get. Most days are filled with ARDs, 504 meetings, learning community meetings or a parent conference...!
  • Before school, prep, lunch, after school.

DS1 -6/25/11

DS2 -3/23/13

Missed MC D&C 8/26/14

DD - 8/26/15

LO#4 due 5/30/17

• dkizz82dkizz82 member

First time around I didn't. If my schedule is anything like it is this year I don't see how I'll have any time. We're on a/b schedule and on my a days I start at 7:40 and don't get a break until 12:15 (only 30 min)... And I have no idea where I'd go to do it! I'd've paranoid doing it in my room... Knowing my luck they'd come in for the trash even if my door was locked lol

Kinda wish I had that problem. My trash hasn't been changed since Monday. My room smells horrible!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • First time around I didn't. If my schedule is anything like it is this year I don't see how I'll have any time. We're on a/b schedule and on my a days I start at 7:40 and don't get a break until 12:15 (only 30 min)... And I have no idea where I'd go to do it! I'd've paranoid doing it in my room... Knowing my luck they'd come in for the trash even if my door was locked lol

I pumped in a small room with a lock in the nurse's office. Between sharing a room some periods and the windows, my classroom is not ideal.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I would nurse before leaving for work and then

7:00 pump before school starts at 7:30

9:30 pump during planning period

12:00 pump during planning period/lunch

3:00 pump after school

After I picked DD up I would nurse again when we got home. I probably pumped more than was needed and had an excess when I weaned (400 oz in the freezer) but I was one of those ladies who was unlucky enough to be in pain if more than 3 hours passed between pumping/nursing sessions. I pumped in a closet off of the library office. The librarians were nice enough to tidy it up for me (and decorate some). They had a comfortable chair for me and I had plenty of room for my stuff and snacks so it worked out well. Also loved that there was a sink and refrigerator within 5 feet of the closet when I exited for me to rinse my parts and store my milk.

DS1: 8/3/10, DD1: 8/17/13, DD2: 8/13/15
    Twins lost to due to partial molar pregnancy: September 2011 
    ~~PAL, PgAL Always Welcome~~
  • kedbachkedbach member
    Goodness, after reading all of these, I'm thankful I'm not currently teaching since we recently moved (taking a break because my be license came in right before we found out we were expecting!) kuddos to ya'll! You're all amazing!!!
  • kedbach said:Goodness, after reading all of these, I'm thankful I'm not currently teaching since we recently moved (taking a break because my be license came in right before we found out we were expecting!) kuddos to ya'll! You're all amazing!!!

This exactly!! I'll be off from August-August and plan to be done breastfeeding by the time I head back September 2016....I admire you women having to make time
    AT work to pump as well as teach/plan/mark/eat/meet/phone/etc....as if teaching isn't a busy enough job!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I work at multiple schools so with my first, I'd pump on the drive between sites. Luckily I could make my own schedule and set time aside as needed. To save time, just throw your pump parts in the fridge so you don't have to worry about cleaning as other people suggested.

Another tip- if you notice your supply start to dip, pump in the middle of the night. Once my son started sleeping through the night, I got up and pumped a few times a week to keep my supply up and add to my stash. He was born in October and thankfully I had enough saved that I didn't have to start the following school year pumping!
  • I am lucky as well.  I'm a high school art teacher, so I have a sink in my room, plus a closet with a lock.  Last time, I pumped during my prep time, which just happened to be in the middle of the day.  I will probably end up doing the same this time.  I nursed DS right before school and right after school as well.  If I had a meeting or something after school, I would try to pump really quickly right before the meeting.  Most days, I only pumped once during the school day, and I still ended up with a LOT of extra milk.

Technically, your principal/boss has to help you find a place to pump that is not a bathroom.  Even though this is the law, some are not as understanding about this as others.  Like others have mentioned, maybe the nurse can help you out as well.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm late on response, but thank you so much for your input!! My principal is a nut about meetings (Monday-department, Tuesday-504, Wednesday-Collaborative, Thursday-ARD). Granted, it isn't every week but the amount of time I'm spent in meetings is concerning when thinking about a pumping schedule. Prayers, please!
  • Another question for all you teachers that relates to this...where in school are you going to pump? I know some people have already mentioned. My classroom has a window so I am kinda freaked out about pumping in there.
  • Following. FTM and have been thinking about the same thing. I'm a special Ed teacher so I'm just not sure how it'll work out. We can be called upon at any moment for an out of control child!