December 2015 Moms
Options

Anyone else have two dogs?

Hi all

So I have a golden retriever and a maltipom. I am getting nervous at the idea of being able to go on walks with them and the baby and how to teach them better boundaries. They LOVE people, so they get over excited when people come over (jump and bark - the maltipom mostly). They also pull alot on the leash which I have been working on forever.

Anyone have experience or suggestions on what to do. I want this to be a good experience for everyone and I would LOVE to be able to take the babe and dogs on a walk at the same time. I also don't want the barking to wake up the baby.

Re: Anyone else have two dogs?

• Options
    I have a black lab puppy who is absolutely insane and a lab/Pitt mix that we are training as a service dog for my disabled son. She obeys all commands and can smell his seizures. Just have to get her certified. They do great with the kids. The puppy is a jackass most days but he just loves to play. We are going to get him trained as well. Hoping way before Nine is born. I also have two cats and two turtles. Had an iguana. He was two feet long and so amazing but my ex got him in the divorce and killed him. I am so upset. I love alllll my babies.
  • Options
    I have two dogs (jack russell/dachshund mix and hound/corgi mix), had three (lhasa apso) when DS was born and they all did really well with the baby.  I found that the barking didn't really wake him up.  This could be because he did a two week stay in the NICU and they are loud.  At 2.5 he still sleeps through them barking usuallly.

Married - 10/10/2009

DS - Due 11/3/2012 born 9/28/2012 due to Severe Preeclampsia and HELLP Syndrome

DD - EDD 12/30/15

"I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." Maya Angelou|| [url=http;//www.fertilityfriend.com]Ovulation Chart[/url|| <a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Chart</

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm nervous as well. We also have two dogs ... both boxers, who are known to get excited and jump on people. One of ours also really likes to bark in his kennel in the morning when he wants to eat. We are working on both of those things because they will NOT be good when there's a baby in the house. Luckily the walking part shouldn't be too big of a problem since DH and I usually do that together anyway. 

As for the barking, something you might try. It worked for our female but our male doesn't seem to care (so it could be a 50/50 shot). We have something called a Sonic Egg (you can look it up on PetSmart's website) that lets off a high pitched noise when the dogs bark. You can put it in a room and it'll go off anytime barking happens. My female learned almost instantly not to bark and never does anymore. Our male did really well with it and then learned that he can get used to it so he just keeps going. There is also a handheld one that you can carry around and hit the button when they bark. Either one would work. I would seriously try it because if the incidents are few and far between (just visitors) then it would probably work. We use it with our male in the kennel daily which is why I think he finally decided he just doesn't care anymore.
  • Options
    Oh yeah allll of mine sleep through the barking. And we had three also until a week ago. We had to out our husky/Sheppard mix down. She would be 19 on Dec 27th :( I miss her terribly.
  • Options
    I will try that!!!! Thank you!!!
  • Options

Oh yeah allll of mine sleep through the barking. And we had three also until a week ago. We had to out our husky/Sheppard mix down. She would be 19 on Dec 27th :( I miss her terribly.

Oh I am sorry to hear that!  Sorry for your loss.  I can relate, our Lhasa passed away at 18 in Nov and it was difficult.

Married - 10/10/2009

DS - Due 11/3/2012 born 9/28/2012 due to Severe Preeclampsia and HELLP Syndrome

DD - EDD 12/30/15

"I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." Maya Angelou|| [url=http;//www.fertilityfriend.com]Ovulation Chart[/url|| <a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Chart</

• Options
    @enigmaanjel I am so sorry to hear that :( I am going to be broken hearted when one of my babes go.
  • Options

I'm nervous as well. We also have two dogs ... both boxers, who are known to get excited and jump on people. One of ours also really likes to bark in his kennel in the morning when he wants to eat. We are working on both of those things because they will NOT be good when there's a baby in the house. Luckily the walking part shouldn't be too big of a problem since DH and I usually do that together anyway. 

As for the barking, something you might try. It worked for our female but our male doesn't seem to care (so it could be a 50/50 shot). We have something called a Sonic Egg (you can look it up on PetSmart's website) that lets off a high pitched noise when the dogs bark. You can put it in a room and it'll go off anytime barking happens. My female learned almost instantly not to bark and never does anymore. Our male did really well with it and then learned that he can get used to it so he just keeps going. There is also a handheld one that you can carry around and hit the button when they bark. Either one would work. I would seriously try it because if the incidents are few and far between (just visitors) then it would probably work. We use it with our male in the kennel daily which is why I think he finally decided he just doesn't care anymore.
    Hmmm that doesn't bother my male either but drives my female nuts and she won't bark.
  • Options

Hmmm that doesn't bother my male either but drives my female nuts and she won't bark.
    That's really interesting! I wonder if it's the pitch of it -- maybe females are more sensitive? Hmmm ... something new to research at work while I DON'T actually do work.
  • Options
    That's what I am wondering. My mom said the same thing just now. Her males don't respond but her female does. Starting to wonder. Her dogs are male- jack Russell a female jack Russell and a male chiuaua
  • Options
    We have 3 dogs (and 2 cats) and as for walks, they really liked to pull so we got them around the chest harnesses instead of using their collars. It has worked MUCH better. We also try and throw the ball with them before so they are a little worn out. We are starting NOW to encourage good behavior and redirect bad behavior. So far it has worked pretty well.
    "Good for her! Not for me." - Amy Poehler

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Try 4... I have a German Shepard and a Rottweiler both 5, a lab mix who's 6 and the eldest a little chihuahua and Pekingese mix who's absolutely insane. The big dogs are very well behaved and somewhat trained. My worry is the little one, he constantly barks and I'll be trying that sonic egg mentioned before
    I'm 29, husband is 30
    Together since 2006
    Married 01.17.15  <3

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

• Options
    I have 2: a dachshund mix and a boxer mix. The boxer mix, a 5 year old female, was always the best dog in the world...until we got our other dog. Now they have such a pack mentality that I can't even take them to the park anymore because they go after other dogs. They feed off one another, which has me really worried for when the baby comes. They have never showed an ounce of aggression towards a human, but I am concerned that they're going to view the baby as an outsider.
    I have already been working on reinforcing training and positive reinforcement. Any other ideas or experience to ensure that their dog aggression doesn't translate to baby aggression?
  • Options
    We have two, Maltese and Frenchie with a third pup, Catahoula arriving next week. Ours bark and it did wake up my son. He slept threw it sometimes but like me he is a light sleeper. Putting them in the crate while he slept seemed to be what worked. It's as if they knew they had to be quiet. Now when he sleeps they are locked in my bedroom so they are not confined to a crate. Looking forward to our new pup but not the training. We want him on point since we have a 2 yr old and a lo on the way. On a side note, my dogs now pull on the leash and my two yr old loves walking them. He's fallen once or twice from being pulled but the tears are short and immediately wants the leash back. Somehow things just fall into place and work themselves out.
  • Options
    We had 3 when DD was a baby and now we have 4, that's what fertility drugs do to you ladies! When I walked them with DD I either wore her or if I had the stroller I used one of those hooks and attached the leash of the calmer one and held one leash in each hand as I pushed. The first few times were a disaster. But eventually the stupid dogs got it. As for barking we didn't have a problem. And they are barkers! I don't know if by the time she was born she was so use to them as an inside baby that it never bothered her as an outside baby
  • Options
    Hey guys, the best thing for walking your dogs with strollers or toddlers is either a "gentle leader" collar which is like a halter horses wear. It takes some practice before baby arrives for them to get use to it, but it works! The other is the halter/ chest leaders. Make sure your follow the directions closely and always make training fun! Use treats!
    Just in case you wonder why, I'm a certified vet tech and behaviorist! With 3 dogs (pit bull x, lab x, border terrier) 5 cats, 3 horses, 15 ducks, and too many fish to count lol.
    Good luck
  • Options
    I have a standard Aussie that is an idiot. He's only a year old so he's dumb 90% of the time. I have a 3 month old chihuahua who loves attention and energetic. I also have 2 horses:)
  • Options
    You ladies seem like the perfect ones to ask! I'm a first timer 8w with twins and we have 2 teacup chihuahuas (one long hair, one short hair) and 3 cats in our household. (One cat is 20 and the other two cats are only 2-3 years old) I've been worried about what to do about their hair! Our two young cats shed so much. How have you managed or have you even noticed it to be a problem?
  • Options
    lrprevostlrprevost member
    edited April 2015
    I have two dogs and I'm worried about the barking and lack of respect for boundaries as well. 

I have another alternative to the barking issue for you guys, though! We've used the sonic egg but found we like the vibration bark control collars better. I think there are multiple different brands, but you can just get it at PetsMart. They just vibrate on their throat (not shock) when they bark and it's uncomfortable for them and they hate it. I think it really just startles them. The good thing about this is, they'll know what it means when you put it on and they'll learn when it's on, there's no barking. So if you want to leave them alone at the house, or have a time you'd like them to alert you of an intruder (at night maybe), you can keep it off and they'll know it's okay. 

We don't use it too often now, but we definitely will when baby arrives. It's worked wonders for our friend's very vocal Weim too.
  • Options
    I have 3 dogs and we are expecting our first baby, so it should be an interesting transition for us! I'm not too worried about it though... We will figure it all out! We have a backyard for the dogs to go play in of I need some space with the baby and my awesome husband added an air conditioning unit and an insulated garage door to our garage so it is effectively now a dog room! It will be nice to have a space for all of my babies!!!