September 2015 Moms
Options

I think I can?

I'm a 19 yr old unexpected ftm, not financially stable atm and looking to go to college for graphic design. (I Think) Not sure about what classes to take that will leave me time to raise my child. I'm worried I won't have enough emotional support to do this.. any young moms doing your thing, how do you do it and still make time?? :x

Re: I think I can?

• Options
    I was 19 when I had my first and put myself through college. (She is 21 now). I can't lie it was tough because you basically have to grow up with your child. We as people are resilient and despite how tough it will be you have the emotional stamina to go through this. Don't give up your dreams but don't rush, take your time and accomplish them little by little and eventually you will be graduating from college. Use all of your support systems from friends and family. Best of luck to you!
  • Options
    I know a lot of moms that have balanced children and school by doing classes part time (like one or two a semester). It takes longer to finish school, but it also gives them more time to raise their children. Good luck, you can do it!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    First off, congrats on baby and on reaching out for support to accomplish your goals! I agree with @pregat40 'Don't give up on your dreams, but don't rush.'

I don't have personal experience with this, so can't be of much help, but friends who got through school while raising babies have told me that it can be done with hard work. I watched them juggle work, school, and daycare, and they usually did it with a smile. The biggest complaint was, 'I'm tired, but happy.' I think that is something to be proud of!

Speak to a college counselor too and let them know your situation. I worked and went to school with no support and no family, and my counselor gave me advice and helped me push through, they are good at helping you prepare and overcome challenges. Also talk to family or friends about helping you with childcare. But most importantly, take those first few precious weeks with baby and just soak them up! There is always time for working and going to school, so make a schedule, get organized, get your support system in place, and get to work. You'll be just fine!

Proud of you! Do you know if baby is a boy or girl? :-)
  • Options
    mrscaterosales  I'll be finding out whether its a boy or a girl in a couple of days, so i'm really excited but I don't know yet 
  • Options
    Congrats on baby!  I think it's great that you're still planning to go to school while you raise little one.  It seems like you already have the right attitude and self-discipline, and that is 90% of the battle.  If you think you can do it, you will!  Good luck!

Pregnancy Ticker

BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    kchatmon4 said:

mrscaterosales  I'll be finding out whether its a boy or a girl in a couple of days, so i'm really excited but I don't know yet 

Let us know when you find out!!

• Options
    @mrscaterosales Everything she said!!! You are probably thee most positive cheerful momma on this site, always give such constructive, compassionate, honest, sweet advice, YOU GO GIRL!

Lol, I also highly encourage you to take it slow, see what you can handle, make a goal and stick to it!!! Good luck! !
  • Options
    A lot of schools will let you take at least the core subjects/general requirements online which might be your best option with a baby to care for.  With graphic design, there will probably be some things you HAVE to take on campus, but you can probably at least get started at home.  I know many moms who have gone that route (one of them has 6 children!!! from 14 all the way down to 6 months).  It's totally doable.  If cost is a concern, taking core subjects at a local community college and then transferring to a larger school to finish your major is an option.  There are SO MANY options these days.  You can do it!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    jmacd22jmacd22 member
    I had my first child at 21 right in the middle of my college years. I ended up taking a semester off and to save money moved in with a relative so I wouldn't have many bills. Then I finished 2 yrs worth of work in 1 yr so I could graduate and then go into my career. That worked for me. It was a little stressful but it was like my child gave me extra motivation and I even ended up graduating with honors. Since you said you were unsure of what you want to major in or focus on I would suggest to start with general education classes and knock those out of the way first to get a feel for the college classes and what interests you the most. I would also look into what courses they offer online and see if those would work for you to leave you with more time with the baby. If still unsure I would speak with a college counselor as they would know more in depth all your options. You can do it!!!
  • Options

@mrscaterosales Everything she said!!! You are probably thee most positive cheerful momma on this site, always give such constructive, compassionate, honest, sweet advice, YOU GO GIRL!

Lol, I also highly encourage you to take it slow, see what you can handle, make a goal and stick to it!!! Good luck! !

Awe thank you, what a sweet compliment. You're a great contribution too! :-)
  • Options
    I'm not going to say it's going to be easy. life will present you with those moments like "why this? Why now? Can't I have an effing break?!" I know I'm not the most helpful, but these ladies here are a great support group, and emotionally supportive. Everyone has their own stories, and you will have a great one to tell your little bug one day. About how hard you worked, about how much you cared, and how you got through it all, together. Like PPs have said, there are a lot of options out there. It's all about finding one that works for you. We're all here for you, and I have every ounce of faith you'll do great! Don't stress, take it all in stride and one step at a time. Best of luck, and yaay! You're creating life! You're a mommy!