September 2015 Moms
Options

Godparents

Baby is due in September and the topic of Godparents has already come up. I'm already overwhelmed with everything else going on. My boyfriend and I only have one sister each and neither are married.

Is it ok to name both of them godparents to our first baby or should we only have one Godparent? We do plan on having another baby (not any time soon) but I'm just wondering what to do.

Re: Godparents

• Options
    It's up to you but you may want to check with your Church to see if they have any specifics.  When we did our first son, the Catholic Church we were at at the time needed a letter from both GodParents current church stating they were active members as well as proof of them being confirmed.  It did not matter if they were married or if we used one guy/girl or two of the same but we did need two.  I know other churches have different guidelines.  

• Options
    edited April 2015
    I'm naming both my brothers so the baby would stay in the family no matter what. God forbid anything happens, I know they have a choice between the two
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My boyfriend and I don't belong to a church. Some family members have done two people dome have done one person. I only have one godparent and it's my aunt so that's why I was wondering. I know someone will be hurt regardless.
  • Options
    KERJFKERJF member
    If your church has no rules (likes ours thank goodness) name them both! We used our siblings but for DD2 my best friend is also one, so she has 2 Godmothers.

imageimage
  • Options
    It depends on your faith/church. Check with them and see how it goes. Good luck!
  • Options
    str13str13 member
    My church didn't have any rules, and to think back on it I'm not sure they asked. Lol
    My personal godparent is a woman I've only met twice. It was just to honor her, my family had no intention of letting me live with her if something happened to them. My parents actually made a will when me and all my siblings were young stating what should happen in that event. I plan on doing the same with my girls.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies for all the feedback!! We've decided to just name them both so no one gets hurt. We aren't part of any church so we don't really have any rules to follow lol. We are having a nondenominational christening :)
  • Options
    We plan to have my best friend and my husbands best friend as the god parents, unofficially though. We aren't a part of any church but we feel they deserve the title
  • Options

I'm naming both my brothers so the baby would stay in the family no matter what. God forbid anything happens, I know they have a choice between the two

Annoying lawyer here... Just want to make sure you know that Godparents are just a ceremonial title and that if you want to ensure that your child ends up with certain people upon the death of you and the father, you need to establish a will etc. to outline those requests legally. Otherwise it would be up to a court to determine. Thanks!