Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

LO won't nap

Our 22 month old has never slept through the night, but naps have never been an issue. For the past week or two now, he will only nap for like 20-30 minutes around his normal nap time and then won't go back to sleep. Usually he would nap for about 2 hours. Any tips on how to fix this, I feel like I'm going out of my mind.

Re: LO won't nap

• How is his sleep at night? When my dd dropped her am nap it went to really erratic 20-30ins but she started sleeping at night a bit longer. We got her afternoon nap longer by doing a routine. We read a book drink a bottle and lay down. I usually lay down and cuddle with her till she falls asleep. She is 15 months.
  • He usually wakes up at night between 3-5 for a bottle or just to snuggle with me, but then goes back to sleep. We stopped am naps months ago with him because he was staying up so late at night.
  • Loading the player...
  • Your 22 month old has a bottle in the MOTN?! You know you're the reason your LO doesn't STTN right? :) I mean that in the nicest way possible. Sounds like maybe he's manipulating you with nap time too.

When he wakes up from the nap, what do you do?

(the neurotic part of me wonders if you brush his teeth in the MOTN after he has a bottle. I hope so!)

• My DD at 2-ish would sleep 13.5 hrs daily: 2 hrs afternoon nap and 1.5 hrs overnight (I forget when she dropped her ~4am nursing) - occasionally she'd have shorter naps (colds, teething, whatever) but would go back to a longer nap within a week. However, my DS (17mo) already sleeps less - 12.5 hrs daily: 1.5 hrs total naps and 11 hrs overnight (with a ~4am nursing). Funny, I just looked at the sleep chart and it says 2yos sleep an average of 13 hrs a day ---- between my DD 13.5 and DS 12.5 it's an average 13.0 ;)  My DCP says her boys gave up naps by 2; my DD almost did at 3 but we persevered (although bedtime is later than we'd like); we'll see what my DS does...

Unexplained IF/RPL

TTC#1 2003 BFNs, 2004-2009 imageimageimageimageimage 5 angels above

2010 IVF-PGS-FET#1, DD b. Aug-2011 image

TTC#2 2012 BFNs, 2013 FET#2, DS b. Nov-2013 image

TTC#3 2015 BFNs, FET#3 image (my 6th and last angel above)

Journey Complete.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• mhwoodmhwood member
    My 16 month old sleeps from 6:30/7 pm until 7:30/8 am. She also has a 2-3 hour nap daily. She has been on the same (or a similar schedule) since she was 6 months old.

Have you considered cutting out the bottle all together?
  • I'm trying very hard to get rid of the bottles all together, but it's a heck of a fight.