December 2015 Moms
Options

Disrespect at work

hello all,
Has anyone else encountered insensitivity in the work place about doctors appointments or needing to work from home?

I have a note from my doctor stating I need to work from home sometimes because I am a high risk pregnancy. I have a very long commute, sometimes 2 hours.

My work is not honoring this, and now when I have doctor appointments, I can not work from home anymore. Which is very stressful. Now, I will most likely lose all of my PTO and then it will come out of my maternity leave. I've asked them kindly to please honor my requests, and I always get all of my work done but they said I am out of the office too much. I have 2 appointments a month. Right now I have a hematoma so I need to go more often.

Does anyone have any suggestions or feeling similar? Thank you so much.

Re: Disrespect at work

• Options
    Look up your state laws regarding family medical leave and medical leave then contact HR
  • Options
    EEB88EEB88 member
    You need to contact your HR department and file a grievance. It sounds to me like they are in vialation of FMLA. You have rights and they cannot discriminate against you based on pregnancy or your medical condition.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The problem is the head of the HR person is the one dishonoring my needs. I really don't know what to do.
  • Options
    It depends not only on the laws, but also on what it is you do for work and your ability to be able to prove that you can complete all of your duties from home. I would also contact your local disability commission or advocacy group.
  • Options
    If it's a big business they will have a handbook with written policy. If they aren't going to honor it go above her head everyone has a boss. Get an official letter from your doc, not just a note. Have her sign it to acknowledge she received it and then make her photocopy it. If she ignores it take it to her boss.
  • Options
    There is an employment law person appointed to every state. If your HR department is not honoring your needs, you need to take it above them. I guarantee you that the minute the state gets involved, they'll sing a different tune.
  • Options
    I'm sorry but legally (at least in Massachusetts where I live) you need to be able to perform your duties from home in order to have these laws apply. Otherwise it does come out of your PTO/maternity leave. We had a vote back in the fall to change the law to bring it up to federal standards but the fact is that you need to contact an advocate I.e. An attorney. The ADA (Americans with disabilities act) does require an employer to accommodate HOWEVER, if that means restructuring the job then that is negated. I wish you all the luck & would urge you to contact an attorney in your area specializing in disabilities. They should give you a free initial consultation and if you cannot afford to retain them, they should be able to refer you to someone who can handle your case pro bono (without charge-for the public good.)
  • Options
    I agree with everyone else. Make sure everything is solid on your end (an official printed letter from your doctor stating your needs) and then just keep going up the latter. Everyone has to answer to someone else and if they are not honoring your documented needs then keep going until you find someone who will.

That being said, it is vital that you have everything on your end squared away. A quick note or a verbal request from your doctor for these things isn't going to hold up. 
  • Options
    Thank you so much everyone. This is so helpful! I am a graphic designer so I can do all my work from home and have a home office set up. Also, I should have said official letter from my doctor and not note - I have two official letters signed and stored in the records here at work which they are not honoring.

Thank you again!
  • Options
    In Kansas (where I am) if the company has less than 50 employees, they do not have FMLA. Smaller businesses (less than 50) may have different policies and/or procedures regarding these topics, but with Kansas being at at will state, you can hire, fire for any reason and businesses don't even have to offer sick, vacation, maternity leave or anything. 

:(

• Options
    My company is huge but it's a non profit.
  • Options
    Get intermittent FMLA. You have to get paperwork from the doctor and then file with HR. They have to let you take off. But you still have to take PTO or no pay, sorry. But at least you'll be protected from any potential retaliation from your employer.
  • Options
    I agree with all the comments above. Keep trying. Go to the CEO. I'm also an in house graphic designer. I work from home now. Here's what I think. Your HR lady is SUPER jealous of you! Lol I remember when I worked in the HQ office, everyone was super jealous of my job. I get paid well (probably more than them), it's rewarding job (constant praise...constant!), and you get to do art all day! you've got pretty much the best job in the building. They're just jealous! I would go straight to the CEO, email him/her and ask them to come talk to you when they get a chance. Explain your situation. Then if they still won't honor it, look up the laws and maybe find a lawyer to help you find the best route. I wouldn't necessarily take them to court unless you're willing to leave that job. But I would keep on fighting your rights.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker