June 2015 Moms

Unpopular Opinion (U/O) Thursday!

ElRubyElRuby member
edited April 2015 in June 2015 Moms
Well ladies I am starting to wonder if I have run out of ideas for this thread... I am sure I do have some so while I am thinking up mine I would love to hear all of your's!

Re: Unpopular Opinion (U/O) Thursday!

• I forgot it was Thursday, but man after snooping a bit on the S15 board I sure am glad I have the updates on this thread to look forward to! I don't often have an UO to share, but I do really enjoy reading others'. So...thanks, guys!
  • Loading the player...
  • @Emilywooddesign if this kid doesn't turn I'll be doing a c section as well. I refuse to do an external version.
  • Oh I have one. On my baby's first birthday I don't want to make a sugary cake or cupcake the focus of the celebration. He doesn't need all that sugar and artificial ingredients at that age and won't even remember the birthday party when he's older. Big birthday parties with cake can wait until my child is old enough to want it! I'd rather feed him healthy stuff he likes on his birthday.
  • heidiiwa said:

Oh I have one. On my baby's first birthday I don't want to make a sugary cake or cupcake the focus of the celebration. He doesn't need all that sugar and artificial ingredients at that age and won't even remember the birthday party when he's older. Big birthday parties with cake can wait until my child is old enough to want it! I'd rather feed him healthy stuff he likes on his birthday.

On my sons first birthday I made an organic cake and homemade icing... We still laugh watching the video because the knife could hardly cut into it hahahha... He didn't care but the rest of us laughed a lot... By his 3rd birthday we were eating lightning McQueen cupcakes that I am sure were full of every dye under the sun... But before they realize I agree with trying to keep it healthy... The non-exciting cakes are a hard sell on an older kid!
  • I am so indecisive I would panic over choosing my kids birthday! I guess I would just choose whatever day my favorite doctor is delivering and go with that.
  • mellymar said:

@klkonwi @Emilywooddesign you guys rock on with your plans for a c section or whatever. I wouldn't flame either of you (any mom) for her choice in method of birth. Unless my dr has a reason tho, I'm gonna wait and see what happens. I don't really want to pick and choose my kids birthday. Tho - if the dr DOES have a reason for say, needing to schedule a c section or induce, then I'm choosing the 21st. So there ;)

I was feeling the same about not picking the birthday,I'm having twins so If they don't come on their own by 38 weeks I'll be induced regardless. C section was my choice because baby b is breech and I would rather recover from one form on birth than a vaginal birth and a C section. Plus pushing out 2 kids terrifies me.
  • klkonwiklkonwi member
    edited April 2015
    @ElRuby well technically you don't get to "pick" with induction because I'm prepared for it to take up to 2 days.... But yeah kind of ?!
  • @klkonwi ... Share your pitocin with me.. Lol
  • ElRuby said:

EIRuby said:

you guys should check out water melon cakes, they're just fruit and whipped cream.

Found a link to watermelon cake-
    https://www.paleocupboard.com/watermelon-cake.html

Wow that looks awesome!! Definitely want to try this, thanks!!!
  • @dancegurl1118 same here! Less time with grad school and a newborn!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • klkonwi said:

@ElRuby well technically you don't get to "pick" with induction because I'm prepared for it to take up to 2 days.... But yeah kind of ?!

Oh sorry guess I was thinking of c-sections!
  • @klkonwi ... Share your pitocin with me.. Lol

My practice no longer uses pitocin under any circumstances... Anyone else heard of this?
  • ElRuby said:

I am so indecisive I would panic over choosing my kids birthday! I guess I would just choose whatever day my favorite doctor is delivering and go with that.

I had a planned c-section with DD and I let my husband pick the day.  This one is also planned, and it is the earliest surgery on the first day I can get it (Monday)...which happens to be our anniversary.  I don't like to choose either! 
    • Married 6/1/2012
    • BFP #1 - 11/17/2012 -  MC 12/10/2012
    • BFP #2 - 2/12/2013 - EDD 10/17/2013 - DD Born 10/10/2013
    • BFP #3 - 1/29/2014 - Ectopic pregnancy discovered 1/31/2014
    • BFP #4 - 9/28/2014 - EDD 6/4/2015 - DS Born 5/31/2015

• amark11 said:

I am on a few Facebook parenting groups now and cannot f'ing believe that professional "cake smash" photo shoots are an actual thing. Worse, they are part of a studio session - not even the actual birthday party. My eyes are falling out of my head, they are rolling so hard.

I had to Google 'cake smash photo' cause I had no idea what you were talking about. And yes, eye rolls galore.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • klkonwi said:

My UO is that I'm getting induced at 39 weeks. I don't care what anyone thinks and I'm an l & d nurse and I know that I should wait.... But I'm also an anal person and charted my ovulation religiously to get pregnant and calculated my date to be June 20. So..... I don't care if anyone thinks I'm dumb..... I'm ready to be done with these migraines and I might become mentally ill (even more so) if this baby does not exit my body at 39 weeks. Flame away. Keep in mind..... I know all the risks.

No judgement here! I'll be doing the same thing, if he isn't here before 39 weeks. My last baby was born at 37 weeks, 3 days and I think that's actually more desirable. :)
  • Definitely not judging you moms abou being induced. I am kind of hoping the same thing since pretty much this whole 3rd trimester I have been poked and probed. So just ready for l/o to be out so they leave the both of us alone.
  • Okay...definitely not flaming, here, just adding a little input to consider for those of you looking at induction.

I've had one normal birth and one induced and I can say the natural birth was better by miles (it was my first). Things moved faster, contractions were far less painful, and the pushing was smoother and easier. My labor under induction was truly hellish comparatively. I will never *ever* opt for induction again.

That said, each birth is different and being induced the second time around could have had little to nothing to do with how awful it was, but I don't think so...
  • We don't have an induction date yet, but my doctor is telling me that this is what will happen due to the number of pregnancy it is for me, and how fast my previous labor and deliveries were. I've never been induced before, but I am all for it. I'm hoping on Tuesday at my appointment, we can set a date. I'm done being pregnant :)
  • heidiiwa said:

Oh I have one. On my baby's first birthday I don't want to make a sugary cake or cupcake the focus of the celebration. He doesn't need all that sugar and artificial ingredients at that age and won't even remember the birthday party when he's older. Big birthday parties with cake can wait until my child is old enough to want it! I'd rather feed him healthy stuff he likes on his birthday.

I agree it shouldn't be the focus of the party, but I always do one because mama wants it. I love cake! :D
  • amhowell14amhowell14 member
    edited May 2015

Okay...definitely not flaming, here, just adding a little input to consider for those of you looking at induction.

I've had one normal birth and one induced and I can say the natural birth was better by miles (it was my first). Things moved faster, contractions were far less painful, and the pushing was smoother and easier. My labor under induction was truly hellish comparatively. I will never *ever* opt for induction again.

That said, each birth is different and being induced the second time around could have had little to nothing to do with how awful it was, but I don't think so...

I was induced with DD 1 & 2. I don't know any different. Hoping I go into labor on my own with #3. If not, I'll be induced at 39 wks.
    :D
  • @NotISaidtheCat I totally get your response... It's what everyone has been telling me. Just sick of hearing it, that's all.
  • @ElRuby .. No pitocin at all? Or just for induction/augmentation purposes? As a high risk maternity nurse I find that hard to believe (not that I don't believe YOU), especially postpartum use to prevent hemorrhage.... And not mention a lot more c-sections due to failure to progress/dilate...pitocin definitely has its place in OB