April 2015 Moms

Baby Falls Asleep Mid Feed

Hi!  My daughter was born full term but was a lightweight at 6 lbs 4 oz. She is now almost 2 weeks old.  I am really focused on breastfeeding her consistently to get her weight up. I am fortunate to have good milk supply, but my daughter appears to be full after only 5-10 minutes of feeding and passes out mid-meal so I am struggling to get her well fed properly for a 15-20 minute cycle.  I tickle her, remove the swaddle, and try to keep her engaged but nothing works.  She is even asleep when I try burping her, which appears ineffective as well.  This is my first baby so I could really use some advice!

Re: Baby Falls Asleep Mid Feed

• Go see a lactation consultant or call your local Le Leche League. My LC helped me a ton with the same problem, teaching me to rub her rotator cuff, stroke the jaw muscles, tickle feet, etc. I have to stimulate her constantly during feeds, and he techniques they showed me help a lot. Also taking her clothes off to make her a bit less comfortable.
  • My baby girl was born at 5lb 15oz so I understand wanting to get that weight up. She turned 4 weeks yesterday and I think we have a good handle on feedings. During the day she wears clothes and I keep them on her to eat. She does start to doze off and I find that when she does I'll start to pull away and she'll start sucking again. If she's really out we'll change her, burp her and then try to feed her again. I also tug gently on her ear and that helps too. At night she's swaddled and to eat I stripe her down to just her diaper. If she's too warm and snugly it's pretty much useless. I also do one boob a feeding but I can get about 4oz a boob so that seems to be enough.
  • Loading the player...
  • I have a snoozer as well...it's so hard to keep them awake! I always do the diaper change in the middle of the feeding between sides and that helps. I also try stripping them, tickling, using ice or cold cloth on feet/cheeks. When your burping you can rub you hand up and down the spine and they often curl up like a cat and wake up a bit, or rub them right above the diaper.
    DS born 10/25/11 **  DD born 6/24/13 **  DS born 4/20/15
  • My baby did the same thing. We found out pumping works best for us. I pump 15-20 minutes every two hours and feed with a bottle. He stays awake much better and I have relief knowing exactly how much he is getting with each feed. My baby was born 5lb15oz and is now over 8lbs
  • Go to see a LC. DS was very similar to your daughter. Even though he had a great latch, the LC tweaked a few things with positioning to ensure that feeding was efficient. As well, they will check for any sort of tongue tied. With the weighted feedings you might be surprised just how much milk also is getting.

• My daughter is almost 4 weeks she was born just a week early but by c-section, and dropped a lot of weight while we were in the hospital. She is also a big sleeper so that combined with the dramatic weight drop I went to a lactation nurse the second week we were home. They gave me good tips to wake her most which have already been mentioned, stripping her clothes when she starts to sleep and rubbing her cheeks work best! If your worried about her weight you should get a baby scale (which I did too). You can use it to see her overall weight gain as well as weigh before and after each feeding to see how much baby is eating (we were surprised she was actually eating more than we thought).
    I can tell you around week 3, so right around the corner for you, she started staying awake a little more and was actually waking