Eco-Friendly Family

Eco-Friendly Live Chat with Tom's of Maine & The Green Mama HERE!

Re: Eco-Friendly Live Chat with Tom's of Maine & The Green Mama HERE!

• Dee719 said:

@TomsofMaine, I see you now have baby shampoo and wash and baby lotion. Will you also come out with hair care products? I think this would be great, as I really don't like to use products in my daughter's hair. If the products are natural, then I wouldn't mind. 

Great idea! We'll pass that onto our in-house innovation team!
  • @TomsofMaine awesome im glad the baby products are quickly coming to the market ! and ill be purchasing the deodorant this week !
  • Loading the player...
  • This might be a silly question...but what is SLS-free on your website? I see you have toothpastes...what does that mean?

Hi there! Not silly at all. Our toothpaste uses SLS naturally sourced from coconut oil to make it foam. Some people are sensitive to this ingredient, or wish to avoid it, so we offer SLS-free products as well!
    Good to know :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • ckpettit said:

I love Tom's products. I use their toothpaste and mouthwash exclusively. I also love their baby products. I still remember by baby sister smelling like Tom's honeysuckle shampoo when she was little.

That's so great! We heard from consumers who missed that product which motivated us to create our NEW baby line!
  • I'm a few days overdue and trying to avoid pitocin (any form of artificial induction, really) due to a bad reaction with my last pregnancy. Any safe, natural ways to help the process along?

Hi, it's Liz from Tom's! I feel your pain. My daughter came eight days late! And I had to be induced. Nothing worked for me last time but you could try the old wives tales - spicey food, long walks, bumpy car rides, etc.! Be sure to let us know if anything works for you! I'm hoping for an on time baby this time.

Hi Liz! We are going for a walk later, we are doing accupressure now. Trying to talk my husband's into curry for lunch. ;-)

I'm hoping for an on time baby for you this time as well! I was a couple days really with my first so this is me territory for my this time.
  • Thanks for answer....@thegreenmama
  • Are your body lotions meant to be used on the face as well? 

Our lotion is precisely formulated to leave your skin feeling soft, smooth and healthy without any artificial ingredients! It is dermatologist tested, although we've never tested it as a facial moisturizer. But some of our employees do use it for that! 
    Great! I love my lotion to be all purpose and light! I'll have to give it a try!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Dee719 said:

Great question and answer! My toddler is obsessed with my chap stick and lip gloss as well :)

Funny you should mention that! We just launched a line of lip glosses and shimmers, in addition to our lip balms! Look for them on our website or on Amazon or Drugstore.com!
  • Dee719 said:

@TomsofMaine, are your baby products (mainly shampoo and wash) tear free?

Yes, they are!
  • ckpettit said:

I love Tom's products. I use their toothpaste and mouthwash exclusively. I also love their baby products. I still remember by baby sister smelling like Tom's honeysuckle shampoo when she was little.

The have some great products! Glad they are expanding and reaching out further into the personal hygiene realm! Would love for them to make feminine care products and baby diapers <3 One can only hope :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Are more baby products from @tomofmaine coming out soon,besides shampoo & baby lotion? like diapers!
  • ckpettit said:

Where are the baby products sold? Are they in any stores in Bergen County NJ?

We're stocking the shelves at a lot of stores currently so the best place to look is online. We hope to be in your neighborhood, soon!
  • Are more baby products from @tomofmaine coming out soon,besides shampoo & baby lotion? like diapers!

Yes! Any day now you should be able to find both diaper cream and sunscreen online. We do not have any plans to make diapers - just personal care products for now! But there is always more in development. Thanks for your support!
  • gbaby331 said:

@TomsofMaine can we only purchase online or are you available in stores ? I never actually looked for "eco-friendly" or "natural" stuff before until recently!

Our toothpaste and deodorant can be found in most major retailers. Our NEW line of baby products are quickly hitting the market now! (We're so excited!) For the moment you can find them on Amazon and Drugstore.com as well as through our website! (If you have a Sprouts or Hannaford nearby, you can check there, too!)
    I've bought their products at my local Target & Shoprite. I think you can find them almost everywhere :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • This is my second go around being pregnant and I feel like I've forgotten so much! Being a company all about natural products, which are most important to use during pregnancy to protect my growing baby? Can lotions and perfumes reach baby?

This is Manda from @TheGreenMama. It's okay to not feel like an expert all the time. Your instincts are there to help you!

The short answer is that YES lotions and perfumes can reach your baby. Indeed, the average baby born in the U.S. today has more than 130 known or suspected toxins already in his/her body. One known source of many of these toxins are from the more than 500 chemicals the average woman puts on her body everyday. I recommend avoiding all artificial perfumes, for instance, because it is easy to read on a label (and therefore remember) and because that simple ingredient can actually contain over 500 different chemcicals, many known to cause allergies and mess with the developing brain. You can learn more about label reading on my website at www.thegreenmama.com

Yes! Any day now you should be able to find both diaper cream and sunscreen online. We do not have any plans to make diapers - just personal care products for now! But there is always more in development. Thanks for your support!
    YAY! This is music to my ears! Totally stocking up on sunscreen for summer for my little one's skin <3
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm a few days overdue and trying to avoid pitocin (any form of artificial induction, really) due to a bad reaction with my last pregnancy. Any safe, natural ways to help the process along?

Hi, it's Liz from Tom's! I feel your pain. My daughter came eight days late! And I had to be induced. Nothing worked for me last time but you could try the old wives tales - spicey food, long walks, bumpy car rides, etc.! Be sure to let us know if anything works for you! I'm hoping for an on time baby this time.
    Hi Liz! We are going for a walk later, we are doing accupressure now. Trying to talk my husband's into curry for lunch. ;-)

I'm hoping for an on time baby for you this time as well! I was a couple days really with my first so this is me territory for my this time.

Best of luck! I might try some of your tricks this time, too! -Liz
  • I don't know if I missed a response but posting this again:

Hi everyone! @TheGreenMama: Any tips on making DIY safe and effective diaper wipes spray for my cloth diaper system?

• This is my second go around being pregnant and I feel like I've forgotten so much! Being a company all about natural products, which are most important to use during pregnancy to protect my growing baby? Can lotions and perfumes reach baby?

This is Manda from @TheGreenMama. It's okay to not feel like an expert all the time. Your instincts are there to help you!

The short answer is that YES lotions and perfumes can reach your baby. Indeed, the average baby born in the U.S. today has more than 130 known or suspected toxins already in his/her body. One known source of many of these toxins are from the more than 500 chemicals the average woman puts on her body everyday. I recommend avoiding all artificial perfumes, for instance, because it is easy to read on a label (and therefore remember) and because that simple ingredient can actually contain over 500 different chemcicals, many known to cause allergies and mess with the developing brain. You can learn more about label reading on my website at www.thegreenmama.com
    WOW! Thanks for answering this! I did not know that :( I definitely have to read my labels and switch up my lotions, deodorants and perfumes! This is super helpful
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @TomsofMaine, my daughter gets irritated skin, mostly during the winter or summer seasons. She gets a bit of eczema, mostly in her forearms. I currently use unscented cream, for that type of skin. Being that your products are all natural, would it be safe to use a scented cream from your line on her and not worry about irritation? I love scented products and of course, since she gets easily irritated, I steer clear from them. 
  • Dee719 said:

@TheGreenMama, Yes, I do that as well. I literally, have to wrap my legs around her just to brush her teeth. It is a bit frusturating, especially when I'm trying to leave in the morning to work and it takes a bit longer getting her to stay still. I play games with her too, sometimes it works and sometimes it just doesn't :(. She will eventually grow out of that, just takes patience :)

BTW I am launching an entire series of posts about holistic care of teeth! So stay tuned. I've found some great resources to help heal the microbiome of the mouth.... sounds exciting, eh?! Still researching!
  • Any tips on how to get rid of a toddler's stinky breath? Do you recommend brushing their tongue?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @TomsOfMaine  Our son (21 months old) LOVES brushing his teeth.  He really loves using Toms of Maine and we are excited to be able to give him a product that we feel good about!  Thank you for that! 
  • @TomsofMaine and @TheGreemMama Thanks for all the good tips and information.
  • Dee719 said:

@TomsofMaine, my daughter gets irritated skin, mostly during the winter or summer seasons. She gets a bit of eczema, mostly in her forearms. I currently use unscented cream, for that type of skin. Being that your products are all natural, would it be safe to use a scented cream from your line on her and not worry about irritation? I love scented products and of course, since she gets easily irritated, I steer clear from them. 

Both the scented and fragrance-free options are pediatrician-tested and hypoallergenic! That's what I use on my baby and she loves it! -Liz
  • I don't know if it is a trend only in this country, but doctors seem quick to want to induce delivery. Relax and let your body do its thing. For my last pregnancy the doctor wanted to induce, but I decided to wait. My body was ready to go, so I just stayed close to home and that night the baby came on her own. I am glad I did not interfere with nature's process.

I completely agree! I had a complicated pregnancy with a high risk of preterm labor this time. No one expected me to make it to term, let alone beyond so my doc started talking induction at 39w. He's been very OK & laid back with my decision to wait it out. I have a high bishop score, cervix is ready, baby is in position, I just am not contracting regularly after 4w of prodromal labor. :-\
  • Thanks so much for the fun and informative chat! I had a great time learning more about one of my favorite brands! Good luck to everyone!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Any tips on how to get rid of a toddler's stinky breath? Do you recommend brushing their tongue?

This is Liz - I do brush my daughter's tongue! She loves the taste of our Toddler Training Toothpaste!

• BumpCaitlinBumpCaitlin admin
    edited April 2015
    @TheGreenMama Do you recommend In-home daycare or daycare center, which one provides better care for the child?
    Thanks for the question @ekodeski. Daycare isn't @thegreenmama's expertise, but The Bump's stance is that it's a personal choice and there is no right or wrong answer :)
  • Dee719 said:

@TomsofMaine, my daughter gets irritated skin, mostly during the winter or summer seasons. She gets a bit of eczema, mostly in her forearms. I currently use unscented cream, for that type of skin. Being that your products are all natural, would it be safe to use a scented cream from your line on her and not worry about irritation? I love scented products and of course, since she gets easily irritated, I steer clear from them. 

Following this too...this happens to me as well. I use a washcloth and scrub my skin a bit to make sure it's super clean and that seems to help a little.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @thegreenmama what would you say is the single most important thing to do to raise a healthy baby??  
  • wishing everyone good luck ! :)
  • ekodeski said:

@TheGreenMama How early do you recommend a child goes to see a dentist for her first time. Some say 1 years old and other say 3 years old and not sure what to think?

I think I may have already answered this, so please forgive me if I did!  I remember not going to until I was school age, but I started taking my kids when they were three. I am now in favor of going young, but only if it isn't traumatizing.
  • Thank you @TomsOfMaine and @thegreenmama for all of the amazing information!  So glad to know that others are on board and helping parents with raising healthy babies!! 
  • rayalan said:

@thegreenmama what would you say is the single most important thing to do to raise a healthy baby??  

Protect it and love it :) Do the best that you can and always trust your gut (not what others day). Do what's right for you and your child!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Sounds great! I will surely stay tuned to that because every little bit of advice helps, especially with a toddler! 
  • rayalan said:

@thegreenmama what would you say is the single most important thing to do to raise a healthy baby??  

I"m going to cheat and answer three!

1. What is healthy for your child is also healthy for the world. So, it is okay to focus on the small and to focus on what matters to you.
    2. Learn to worry smarter. Parents are biologically programmed to worry. But a world with microscopic toxins is very different than a world where the greatest threats were big predators running towards your child across the fields. So, we have to retrain ourselves to worry about the things that are truly most likely to effect the health and happiness of our children. It’s easy to get scared about letting our older child play alone on the playground, but it’s essential for our older children to develop these skills and to benefit from free play and from outside time.
    3. Have a community that inspires you and models the kind of parent you want to be.

Have fun!

• awesome...@tomsofmaine..I'm excited to try new products that protect us and my family...thank you... @TheGreenMama for the live chat ....with @TheBump..you..guys..are.awesome