Eco-Friendly Family

Eco-Friendly Live Chat with Tom's of Maine & The Green Mama HERE!

Re: Eco-Friendly Live Chat with Tom's of Maine & The Green Mama HERE!

• @tomsofmaine: that is fantastic that you are cruelty free!! Thank you! I've just started looking into companies that do not test on animals and will discontinue use of products of companies that do.
  • LOVE LOVE LOVE your new baby care items...will you be expanding to wipes, diapers or diaper rash cream ever? I vote YES :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • jlopez0345jlopez0345 member
    edited April 2015
    @TomsofMaine We do give her the fluoride free since we figured that she wouldn't know not to eat it. Thanks for the reply!
  • My 3 year old brushes her teeth for less than a minute. How long should she brush?
  • @TheGreenMama Do you recommend warm or cool mist humidifiers, and do they really work? I started using a cool one, but even though I clean it everyday get's damp and is forming a red, residue. I try diluted vinegar to clean it, but only stays clean for 1 day, then appears again.
  • LOVE LOVE LOVE your new baby care items...will you be expanding to wipes, diapers or diaper rash cream ever? I vote YES :)

We're in the process of launching a diaper cream right now! And sunscreen, too! You can find them online soon at Amazon and Drugstore.com!
  • Do you offer coupons for your products? If so where can we get them?

I was pleasantly surprised when I opened my toothpaste box to put into recycling, and there was a coupon printed on the inside of the box! Target has also printed some of those custom coupons at the register when I purchased a Tom's item.
  • Dee719 said:

@TheGreenMama, how would you recommend the best way on teaching a toddler on teeth brushing? With my son, I had no issues. My daughter, on the other hand, is another story. Each time I brush her teeth, she would scream bloody murder. She does attempt herself, however, as I try to go in after her to finish up (ensuring her teeth are thoroughly cleaned), she won't allow me and screams as if I am hurting her. What to do?? 

Hi. This is a tricky one for everyone. I was mentioning above that I learned from my dentist the trick of lying her on the floor, with me sitting legs out, and her lying basically between my legs. Then, I more or less trap her arms down with my legs. At first, my youngest, was a nightmare to brush, but then she got the hang of it. My husband would play "crazy dentist" and make a game of it.

• @TheGreenMama Do you recommend In-home daycare or daycare center, which one provides better care for the child?
  • Dee719 said:

@TomsofMaine what is a good age for children to start wearing deodorant? Or does this depend on the child?

We really recommend checking in with your pediatrician. A lot of parents like to use our deodorant as a first option because it is aluminum-free!
  • @TomsofMaine What products do you recommend for our 9 month old?

• I know you are supposed to use a wet wash cloth for baby's gums...at what age should you switch to a toothbrush with toothpaste?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @TheGreenMama, how would you recommend the best way on potty training? I have a 2.5yo who, unlike her brother, is very hard to potty train. I potty trained my son with ease but my little girl could sit on the potty for 30 mins and not do nothing. Then as soon as she says she's done, even though nothing was done, she would go on herself. Each child is different, but it seems like she is uncomfortable going in the potty..
  • @TomsofMaine is it okay if they "over use" the deodorant, as in more than once a day ?
  • I see on your website you have two different toothbrushes available...Can they be used on children? If not, do you have a children's or toddler's toothbrush available?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • ekodeski said:

@TomsofMaine What products do you recommend for our 9 month old?

Your baby might enjoy our new Shampoo & Wash and Baby Lotion! They are both available in fragrance-free or lightly scented, depending on your preference!
  • I know you are supposed to use a wet wash cloth for baby's gums...at what age should you switch to a toothbrush with toothpaste?

Our Toddler Training toothpaste is appropriate for age 3-24 months. Whether you apply it with a finger brush, or a real toothbrush could be up to you, and what your child will tolerate!
  • ekodeski said:

Do you recommend warm or cool mist humidifies, and do they really work. I started using a cool one, but even though I clean it everyday get's damp and is forming a red, residue. I try diluted vinegar to clean it, but only stays clean for 1 day, then it appears again.

I love these questions, because there is a lot buried in here.  The short answer is: dump your cool mist humidifier.

Why? Because the research suggests (including from the EPA) that it can actually make cold-like symptoms (humidifier fever) worse or cause other problems and can decrease your overall indoor air pollution. There is almost no way to keep up with the bacteria that can form in it. Instead, when you really need to humidify the air (for instance because your child is super dried out or congested in the winter) I recommend a vaporizer. It actually heats the water (so you must be careful to put it far from a toddling child!) but that heating will help kill off the bacteria that forms.

• I see on your website you have two different toothbrushes available...Can they be used on children? If not, do you have a children's or toddler's toothbrush available?

We do not currently have a toothbrush designed specifically with children in mind - great idea! We'll pass this onto our innovation team!
  • Finally here,,,,I was worried I missed the fun,,,Hi everyone.....

@TheGreenMama : I have not used Tom of Maine items before, but i would love to know what items are their for babies?
  • @TheGreenMama How can we make our kids' room eco-friendly?
  • Hi everyone!  Any tips on making DIY safe and effective diaper wipes spray for my cloth diaper system?  @thegreenmama
  • jlopez0345jlopez0345 member
    edited April 2015

Hi there! Welcome. Easy DIY skincare tips are some of my favourite. I like to keep it super simple. When I'm at home, I just use my own--plain soap and water on the bum--for instance or a little coco or coconut or sesame oil on the skin. I have some specific recipes too if you want them?!

And when I am shopping for products, I read the ingredients to make sure everything is so pure, it's edible. Our babies skin can absorb 90% of what goes on it!

@TheGreenMama , Yes, please send me one of your favorite coconut oil recipe for my LO. Thank you!!!!
  • gbaby331 said:

@TomsofMaine is it okay if they "over use" the deodorant, as in more than once a day ?

Our deodorant has no known risk with being used more than once a day! Some people like to refresh to get a fresh burst of fragrance!
  • missvp said:

My 3 year old brushes her teeth for less than a minute. How long should she brush?

One of our bloggers recently wrote about teaching teeth brushing! You can check out her article, here: https://blog.tomsofmaine.com/index.php/learning-how-to-brush-your-teeth-tips-when-teaching-your-child/
  • What inspired the launch of Tom's? I'm loving your mission and how you give back so much! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My toddler is chapstick obsessed! She steals mine and has been known to take a nibble...At what age can a child use your chapstick and is it safe if they eat a tiny bit? I'm embarrassed admitting she does this :/ Hate seeing teeth marks in mine
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • What inspired the launch of Tom's? I'm loving your mission and how you give back so much! 

Our founders started the company because there were no products on the market that matched their needs. When we launched baby, we felt the same thing. A lot of our parents here at Tom's were looking for natural options.
  • @TheGreenMama, Yes, I do that as well. I literally, have to wrap my legs around her just to brush her teeth. It is a bit frusturating, especially when I'm trying to leave in the morning to work and it takes a bit longer getting her to stay still. I play games with her too, sometimes it works and sometimes it just doesn't :(. She will eventually grow out of that, just takes patience :)
  • katelove9 said:

@tomsofmaine: that is fantastic that you are cruelty free!! Thank you! I've just started looking into companies that do not test on animals and will discontinue use of products of companies that do.

That's so great! A huge reason as to why I love this brand!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @TomsofMaine awesome ! im going to be purchasing some for my boys ! they love putting on deodorant all the time 
  • @TheGreenMama What are some EASY DIY skincare ideas for my LO?

I love making DIY skincare products for my kids, but I am no Martha Stewart. By that I mean, I hate following recipes, I never have exactly what is called for, and I am way too busy to really do much anyway. Thus, what I would mostly do are things like clean my baby's bum with really gentle soap and water when at home. When on the go, I had cloth wipes prewet with a little castile soap, and I would wipe her down with that.

For bum cream, I mostly just used coconut oil. OR sesame oil. Or coco butter.

The trick is keeping it super pure. Or, if you like the store bought better, looking for items that are so pure, you'd basically eat them (I also like zinc oxide--just not nano particle sized--and of course I wouldn't eat that).
  • Dee719 said:

At what age should we start flossing with them? Any tips or tricks to make it easier? 

We recommend checking with your child's dentist to see if they are ready to floss. We hear from a lot of parents that brush and floss with their kids! Set an example by doing it yourself and your children will try to follow!
    Thanks so much for this! I'll have to start flossing in front of her :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Finally here,,,,I was worried I missed the fun,,,Hi everyone.....

@TheGreenMama : I have not used Tom of Maine items before, but i would love to know what items are their for babies?
    Glad you made it! We produce Baby Shampoo & Wash and Lotion and will soon have Diaper Cream and Sunscreen.
  • @kemaes - I totally agree!  Love Tom's for their great products but also b/c they're cruelty-free! 
  • My toddler is chapstick obsessed! She steals mine and has been known to take a nibble...At what age can a child use your chapstick and is it safe if they eat a tiny bit? I'm embarrassed admitting she does this :/ Hate seeing teeth marks in mine

Tom's of Maine actually just launched a NEW USDA certified organic lip balm! You can find it on Amazon.com or Drugstore.com. Give it a try!
  • gbaby331 said:

@thegreenmama i try and get my four year old to brush his teeth for the proper what is it two minutes, i even brush mine at the same time. His two year old brother will brush his teeth forever if he could. What do you recommend doing to get him to brush his teeth longer than 30 seconds ?

We started my daughter off by watching Elmo brushing his teeth. He sings a fun song and she's obsessed with it :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • At what age do you recommend children first visiting the dentist?

Well, when I was young it seemed like kids didn't go until they were school age, but I started taking my youngest when she was three. INterestingly enough, she also has tons of cavities despite the fact that she eats super healthy, brushes her teeth, and otherwise has a etter life than I did when I was her age and living on Welfare.

I believe, however, that this is because we can see many of the environmental toxins our children are exposed to represent in the health of their teeth amongst other things. Luckily, we have so many people out there these days providing better product options, research, and guidance for parents. So, in short, I'd find a dentist that you really like and trust and start taking your child while they are young--keep it fun and simple.

Our founders started the company because there were no products on the market that matched their needs. When we launched baby, we felt the same thing. A lot of our parents here at Tom's were looking for natural options.
    So great! I hope you keep expanding the baby line :) I'm expecting #2 the end of the year so hopefully you've got more products out by then 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • ill have to try that thank you so much !!!