August 2015 Moms

Zoloft at 26 weeks pregnant

I suppose I have been depressed and lashing out to my family. Overwhelming feelings of not being able to complete the simplest tasks. Biting people's heads off and feeling like My significant other does not love me- and sometimes not wanting him. Short story, I am on Zoloft 50 mg. a day. Worried about my unborn child's development especially if it is linked to Autism development. Has anyone experienced newborn conditions or been prescribed to take Zoloft? Please record your thoughts- good or hesitant. Thanks.

Re: Zoloft at 26 weeks pregnant

• Loading the player...
  • It's not the unprofessional should've or shouldnt's I am after. I am after experiences from others, their thoughts if been prescribed. I have obviously talked to my doctor. Your advise while seeming sound, should be saved for the professional board of "how not to respond to a post if it doesn't pertain to them." This is a discussion board and if I posted it, obviously I am seeking discussions from the unprofessional voice of the many soon to be mothers thoughts, research and experience with their feelings of those who are taking SSI's. For the last post, honestly, what is your expertise? Talk is an amazing outlet.
  • flygirlA1 said:

It's not the unprofessional should've or shouldnt's I am after. I am after experiences from others, their thoughts if been prescribed. I have obviously talked to my doctor. Your advise while seeming sound, should be saved for the professional board of "how not to respond to a post if it doesn't pertain to them." This is a discussion board and if I posted it, obviously I am seeking discussions from the unprofessional voice of the many soon to be mothers thoughts, research and experience with their feelings of those who are taking SSI's. For the last post, honestly, what is your expertise? Talk is an amazing outlet.

Oh relax. She clearly said that she was on it and personally chose to stop taking it, so it did pertain to her. And she was right. You can search high and low about other peoples experiences, but when it comes to SSRI's everybody reacts differently to them.
  • I'm on 150mg a day with both this pregnancy and my last. My son is a bright, 7yr old boy.
  • Thank you!
  • I understand.... My point was its a community board, why not post it? In addition to that I do get where you are coming from, please don't be offended by my desire to hear others or be offensive so others may not share- that's all. I do appreciate your response, honestly.
  • Forget it... Sorry.
  • My CNM told me that I could continue taking my Zoloft (100mg), and that it was a class C, so risks couldn't be ruled out... But there are no studies that show conclusively it can cause birth defects.

I personally stopped taking it, with the intention of resuming if I felt the need. Emotional stress and anxiety can be terrible as well! Luckily, I've been pretty good ... Just overly tired.

Anyway, as long as your doctor is giving you the go, and you feel like you need it, don't feel guilty, momma!
  • wmelliswmellis member
    This really does end up being a touchy subject for some huh? Anyway, I just wanted to share my personal experience with my current pregnancy. I was on Lexapro for some time before getting pregnant mainly for anxiety. Getting pregnant (while still a joyous and amazing plan that came to fruition, caused unending anxiety) knowing I couldn't go cold turkey my OB and I decided on trying Buspar. I was very skeptical but I've actually been doing alright lately. I genuinely think there are those of us out there that need to take medications for mental conditions in order to be in a good headspace during your pregnancy. It's the old "benefits outweigh the risks" situation. So far my pregnancy has been perfectly progressing and nothing has come up as wrong. So far so good. Just be very honest about what you think you need from your doctor and be very honest about your concerns and meet in the middle. Good luck!
  • @wmellis no one on here said they didn't understand why women continue to take anti-anxiety/anti depression meds while pregnant. You are absolutely right that is a risk outway benefits situation. Everyone responds different. The OP just left a nasty response to the first person who had experience with her question. I was just implying that it might be hard for others to share after she left such a scathing remark to Marisalynn
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • For what it's worth, my dad is a psychiatrist and he doesn't automatically take his patients off their anti-depressants due to pregnancy. Depression is unhealthy for your baby's development, too. Speaking from personal experience, I'm on a Class C medication. My dr recommended reducing my dose during the first trimester when the baby's organs were forming.
    Together since '07
    Married since '12
    Off the pill since 5/14
    BFP: 8/10/14 -- CP 8/22/14
    BFP: 12/10/15 -- Prayers requested

• My Zoloft prescriber wanted to decrease my dose and was uncomfortable with me taking it during pregnancy. My baby doctor said a decreased dose would most likely be much less effective (obviously on my dose for a reason). Baby dr suggested staying on originally prescribed dose or talking with Zoloft dr about weaning off to try managing without while pregnant. Baby dr was definitely more concerned about my health/well-being than any potential risks from the medication. His theory was that stress/anxiety/depression can be just as detrimental to baby as Zoloft influence.

Long story short, Zoloft dr was still uncomfortable and hesitant to refill my Rx without me trying the decrease, I found that the decrease was about as useful as no med at all. So, I'm not taking it at the moment. There have been tough times and there have been decent times. My current concern is PPD since I've been off Zoloft for 5 months.

Are you still stressed/depressed on current dose? If so, discuss upping dose or coming off completely. If you are miserable-- what's the point in taking it and worrying about risk. If you can feel better on a higher dose-- you will probably be worrying less in general.
  • I'm on 50 mg of Zoloft, I tried to come off it but the withdrawal symptoms were too severe and my OB told me just to stay on it, whatever risk to baby was minimal and the danger of depression relapse was far riskier in his opinion, especially because I was feeling so awful trying to stop the meds. He also told me often times the dose must increase as the pregnancy goes on as the increased weight gain can decrease the meds' effectiveness but I'm hoping my lower dose will be ok for the rest of my pregnancy.

Bottom line from my OB is that my health and wellbeing are the most important thing because without a healthy mama it's harder to keep baby healthy. I'm so jealous of all you ladies that were able to stop the meds, I really wanted to but it was making me so sick going through the withdrawals!
  • Hey! Just from personal experience: I was prescribed Zoloft at about 15 weeks and my baby is 100% healthy right now. My aunt was on it her whole pregnancy and her son is a very healthy active and smart five year old! So I wouldn't worry:)
  • EmmamameEmmamame member
    edited May 2015
    https://www.mothertobaby.org/fact-sheets-s13037

This is a perfect resource to consult for this sort of thing.
  • The problem with these drugs is that they haven't been out for many years. The doctors don't know what the long term side effects are. But if u are that depressed i dunno. Please try to be nice to ur husband.

Good luck.
  • I have a friend who's baby came out with a half of heart and has been through 10 operations on her heart because her mom stayed on zoloft the entire time.
  • jenleahjenleah member
    I took Zoloft 50mg during the 1st and 2nd trimesters of both of my pregnancies. I just made sure to get off of the med before the 3rd trimester, that's when it's at highest risk of birth defects. My first child has had no problems. I'm now 28 weeks pregnant with my 2nd child. I stopped Zoloft a couple of weeks ago. It's been hard, but I know it's for the best . That's been my experience. So far my 2nd baby appears to be normal as well. Depression is a tough thing to deal with. I know, I've dealt with it all my life. You have to weigh the pros and cons as with any medication during pregnancy. I feel I made the right decision regardless of what anyone else says. I hope my story helps :-)
  • This was so helpful. Thank you, great stuff!