July 2015 Moms
Options

Was that Braxton Hicks?

I had a random, quite painful cramp this morning that felt like a diarrhea cramp. Lasted a few seconds and then went away.

Does that sound like a Braxton Hicks contraction, or no?
Anniversary

Re: Was that Braxton Hicks?

• Options
    When I get Braxton hicks my whole stomach tightens. It feels like it's crowding my lungs a little bit. It lasts for like 30-45 seconds and then softens again.
  • Options
    For me, more abdominal tightening than cramping

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    No, that does not sound like BH.
  • Options
    Mine have all been a really noticeable tightening of the belly with no real pain associated, I can feel a sensation but it isn't painful. I still get the occasional cramping sensation but they are different from BH.
  • Options
    I called my OB. The nurse said it sounded like BH and to keep track if I have them again (haven't so far). She said if I have 2 in an hour then I need to rest. If I have four or more in an hour then I need to call the office again.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    BH are really common, but that sounds different from what I am experiencing. Mine are the stomach tightening that PPs have mentioned. They are definitely uncomfortable, and sometimes I need to sit or stop walking when one hits, but they are not painful. My OB advised to call if they become painful.

I often have more than 3-4 in an hour; my OB said to take it easy and drink water, but no big deal. I imagine that the way BH feels for you might depend if you're carrying high or low. Good luck and hope that it subsides!

Married 08-13-2011
    TTC 06-01-2014
    BFP 10-24-2014
    EDD 07-04-2015

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    It sounds more like general round ligament pain than BH but definitely rest up!
    DD1: 3.27.2003
    DD2: 9.7.2008
    DS: 8.4.2015

• Options
    I'm not sure - some women say they experience contractions as feeling like they have gas or diarrhea, so I think it very well could be! If it felt better when you rested, I'd say yes and maybe take that as one of your body's signs that you need to lie down or prop your feet up. :)

As for me, I notice my stomach definitely tightens and that maybe it feels tender when I try to move but nothing too uncomfortable.

But rest up, and hopefully you won't have to feel them again! Haha.
  • Options
    krk09krk09 member
    My ab muscles (and sometimes into my back) all contract. It's usually not painful so much as surprising and uncomfortable. My husband thinks they are so "fun" and wants to poke my abs...like I dont get enough of that from the inside! ;)