Infertility

Can Anyone Recommend a RE in Hampton Roads/Tidewater Area of Virginia?

A little about me... I'm 38 years old. DH and I have been trying to conceive since December 2012. We finally saw a RE in October 2013. My cycles are regular - every 26-28 days. Day 3 labs were: FSH 12.5; LH 7.4; Estradiol 37.8; TSH 3.68. No AMH or AFC done. With my FSH level, the RE told us we have a 10% chance of conceiving with my eggs but she discussed options and a potential plan. Needless to say, DH and I were devastated. I do have a history of fibroids as well. The HSG showed that my right tube was open and the left was blocked, most likely by the fibroids. Oh...and I only have one ovary - on the left. The right was removed when I was 16 years old. So, another twist to the story. I underwent a myomectomy in February 2014. The surgeon removed 15-20 fibroids, with the largest being 9cm! Fast forward to July and my hubby and I TTC again, praying that the fibroid removal had miraculously "fixed" our fertility issues. We did a couple of rounds of Femara with my regular OB/GYN. One in November with IUI and another in December with timed intercourse. Unfortunately, no luck though. Last month we went back to the RE. She suggests increasing the Femara to 5 mg for CD 3-7, ultrasound monitoring, trigger shot, and timed intercourse. Also, she wants me to start levothyroxine because she wants my TSH to be no higher than 2.5 (check last week showed it was 3.97), as well as Metformin because my A1Cs run on the high end of normal. I asked her if I had PCOS and she said no. She did not mention the FSH this time or retest it, which I thought was odd. If this round of Femara doesn't work, she suggests a repeat HSG to see if perhaps my tubes may have become blocked with scar tissue after the surgery. DH and I have discussed getting a second opinion. Any recommendations? We are currently seeing a doc at the Jones Instute at EVMS. Thanks!

Re: Can Anyone Recommend a RE in Hampton Roads/Tidewater Area of Virginia?

• Jones Institute for reproductive medicine
  • The New Hope Center in Virginia Beach is supposed to be really good. I did my testing there but we decided not to go any further with it so I can't attest to their abilities personally but I hear really good things. Good luck!