Trying to Get Pregnant

online saving accounts

DH and I were thinking of moving over our saving accounts from our banking saving account to an online one. We heard that they tend do give you better interest rates and was wondering if any of you ladies have one/experiences with them and if so, which one?

thanks!

Age 24 DH 24 TTC#1!
NTNP since June '14
TTC since February '15
Anniversary

photo mrsespigreen_3_Autocorrect Fail Bumpie-2_zps0y7kauvn.jpg

Re: online saving accounts

• DH has a savings account set up through American Express Personal Savings. It's bare bones, but works fine as far as transferring money back and forth, etc.

I really like SmartyPig.com, though, just because it makes it really easy to set up various "goals" to save toward, along with automatic transfers from your checking or whatever to your various goals. 

In general, though, online savings accounts seem to always take 3 days or so for transfers, but maybe that's just because it's from one bank to another?
    Me 37, DH 37
    Married since 4/2004
    DS born 1/20/16, Graeme
  • We keep around $1k in our bank savings acct tied to our checking, just in case an emergency arises.  We use Ally bank for the bulk of our savings and specific savings accounts (house renovation, car maintenance, vacation fund, soon-to-be baby fund).  The savings acct is 0.99%.  Their money market account is 0.85% but it comes with a debit card for easy access.  Both accounts allow 6 transactions a month before you're hit with a fee. It's super easy to use and has great customer service.  No complaints so far.  Hope this helps!
    Together 2007 | Married 2011 | Me: 36 | DH: 38
    Adopted Furbaby: 2014
    TTC#1 : 1/2016 | IUI #2 - BFP 12/24/16 -- born 9/8/17
    TTC#2: 11/2019 | Dx DOR (AMH 0.3), AMA
    IUI #2 - BFP 7/1/20 -- EDD 3/14/21
  • Loading the player...
  • mrsespigreenmrsespigreen member
    edited April 2015

We keep around $1k in our bank savings acct tied to our checking, just in case an emergency arises.  We use Ally bank for the bulk of our savings and specific savings accounts (house renovation, car maintenance, vacation fund, soon-to-be baby fund).  The savings acct is 0.99%.  Their money market account is 0.85% but it comes with a debit card for easy access.  Both accounts allow 6 transactions a month before you're hit with a fee. It's super easy to use and has great customer service.  No complaints so far.  Hope this helps!

I heard of Ally bank. Do they charge a fee to transfer from the saving account to a banking account? I know other saving account will charge $25 to transfer from it's saving account to a major bank checking despite being within their transaction allowance for the month

Age 24 DH 24 TTC#1!
    NTNP since June '14
    TTC since February '15
    Anniversary

• We use Barclay's and have had no troubles with them at all.  They only allow you to transfer $1K/month maximum, but the interest rate is 1.00%, but they give you some extra %'s here and there if you make consistent/monthly transfers to the account and don't withdraw the money for six months.
    *YCSWU July Siggy" 

LFAF July Siggy
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • We have one with Sallie Mae. No complaints and the interest is higher than at our regular banks
  • We have an online checking account with State Farm bank.  The interest is higher than a traditional savings account but we we also have checks for the account if we needed something.
  • We keep around $1k in our bank savings acct tied to our checking, just in case an emergency arises.  We use Ally bank for the bulk of our savings and specific savings accounts (house renovation, car maintenance, vacation fund, soon-to-be baby fund).  The savings acct is 0.99%.  Their money market account is 0.85% but it comes with a debit card for easy access.  Both accounts allow 6 transactions a month before you're hit with a fee. It's super easy to use and has great customer service.  No complaints so far.  Hope this helps!

I heard of Ally bank. Do they charge a fee to transfer from the saving account to a banking account? I know other saving account will charge $25 to transfer from it's saving account to a major bank checking despite being within their transaction allowance for the month
    The first 6 transfers/withdrawals are free for each account. After that, there's a charge. Not sure how much since I've never made more than one withdrawal a month.
    Together 2007 | Married 2011 | Me: 36 | DH: 38
    Adopted Furbaby: 2014
    TTC#1 : 1/2016 | IUI #2 - BFP 12/24/16 -- born 9/8/17
    TTC#2: 11/2019 | Dx DOR (AMH 0.3), AMA
    IUI #2 - BFP 7/1/20 -- EDD 3/14/21
  • hmm Okay
    so many options! 
    I was kind of sketch on this whole thing but then saw those interest rates! I have BoA and its like .1% a month!

Age 24 DH 24 TTC#1!
    NTNP since June '14
    TTC since February '15
    Anniversary

• Also thanks for the info! 
    I always like first hand accounts 
    :)

Age 24 DH 24 TTC#1!
    NTNP since June '14
    TTC since February '15
    Anniversary