June 2015 Moms

Belly on top of steering wheel?!

Curious as to if anybody has any suggestions as to driving with a big belly?! I did a search and couldn't find anything on the app search. I've been nervous the past week with driving because my stomach is literally on top of the steering wheel. I'm short so my seat is back as far as it can go and I can't seem to find a steering wheel position that really helps either. Starting to get anxiety that if something were to happen and i got into an accident and the airbags deployed, that there could be serious problems. I drive 45 minutes to work each day and have 7+ weeks left (belly is only going to get bigger) so I need to figure something out. I measured 40 weeks at 32 weeks (ultrasound on Friday to check growth). Thanks in advance!

Re: Belly on top of steering wheel?!

• klkonwiklkonwi member
    edited April 2015
    No matter what if the airbag went off your pregnancy can be in danger. It's a sad reality. I do not have any great solutions for this but just wanted to say the truth.... Eek.
  • I don't have any suggestions but that sounds super unsafe in the event of an accident :( definitely ask your doctor at your next appointment of they have any tips
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Loading the player...
  • Could you maybe recline the back portion of the seat a little bit to make some more room? You might look a little like you're trying to do a gangster lean, but it might create some extra space for that belly.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This was me over a week ago
  • Okay not sure why the whole thing didn't post. That was me over a week ago and now it's worse. I know that it is dangerous if an airbag deploys at all in pregnancy, but now I'm concerned the chances of serious injury or death are greater for our little man. Will be asking my doctor at my next appt on Tuesday and will also try reclining the seat to see if that works.
  • My mom couldn't drive the last weeks of her pregnancy with my younger sister because she couldn't be close enough to the wheel and still reach the pedals.

They do make actual pedal extenders, but they are a little expensive. They even mention being pregnant as a reason to get them: https://www.creativecontrolsinc.com/products/pedalmates.htm

I don't know, it must be your car because I've still got many inches in front of me. I certainly wouldn't drive if my belly was actually touching the wheel! Just really doesn't sound safe.
  • mellymar said:

Could you maybe recline the back portion of the seat a little bit to make some more room? You might look a little like you're trying to do a gangster lean, but it might create some extra space for that belly.

Yep, that's what I have to do - I'm only 5'0" so I have to have my seat pretty far up to reach the pedals.  I'm sure I look absolutely ridiculous, but if I jack the steering wheel as high as it'll go and do a gangster lean, I get a little breathing room for the belly. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I see you have a nissan my nissan allows you to move the pedals out and give more space also tilting your top portion of the seat and making the steering wheel higher should help. I have a 07 murano.