March 2015 Moms
Options

Traveling...

My husbands family lives in
Mexico, & his mother had asked if we would come visit and bring the baby in June. At that time, he will be a little under 3 months old. I'm still worried about taking the baby on a plane & to a foreign country, but I know it's only fair for my husbands family to see the baby as much as my family does... What are your OPINIONS?

Re: Traveling...

• Options
    As for traveling in general, we are planning a trip (via car) at around the same time that would involve a 4 hour car ride to visit my family. However, the particulars of your trip are more concerning. Plane vs. car, the main issue is contact with others (I always get colds right after flights) as well as the simple fact that a long plan ride could be frustrating for you as well as other passengers. But definitely not a reason to avoid going. The other question is the destination. I'm assuming you've visited before and have been made aware of the risks and know how to take precautions when it comes to water (I know conditions vary depending on the area your visiting, so it my not be as much of a concern for you). You may want to wait until after certain vaccinations (Hep A in particular) to visit. Unfortunately, that may take longer than you'd like, so I would suggest talking to your baby's doctor and really just going with your gut. If you want to do it, there really isn't a good reason not to!
  • Options
    We adopted my first son out of state and had to fly home when he was 10 days old. I was a mess with worry that he'd pick something up or that it'd be a rough trip for him.. He ended up sleeping on my chest the whole time in his ergo carrier. You can keep baby in a wrap or carrier strapped to you the whole time you're in the airport and during the flight. You can't have them strapped to you during taking off and landing, but you can just hold them on your lap. I started using doterra's OnGuard oil on the bottom of my little ones feet from day one in order to help boost his little immune system since I knew we'd be going on a plane. Maybe you could try that?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I flew with my first at 3 months. No problems! They are actually super easy to fly with at that point..: once they start crawling and toddling around it's a nightmare until they are much older. As far as catching stuff, just keep baby strapped to you or if you're breast feeding it's not likely baby will catch anything , they get an immunity boost from breast milk. :)

As far as going out of the country..... That would make me a little more nervous but my SIL flies back and forth from Dubai to Texas at least twice a year with infants (she has four kids under 6 and her youngest is three months and she was just here in Texas) and her kiddos always do just fine. :)
  • Options
    I flew with my first at 3 months. She did great. I just nursed her with take offs and landings, so her ears wouldn't hurt from the pressure of altitude change. And I'm planning a 900 mile road trip with my newborn next month. She will be 10 weeks old. She enjoys the car, so it should be fine. No experience with out if country travel though.
  • Options
    Going on a 17 hr flight with one stop by myself with baby in a few weeks ..advice please