June 2015 Moms

Hypnobirthing Anyone?

Anyone looking into Hypnobirthing or have experience with it? I'm a FTM who is not opposed to getting an epidural if I need it - believe me! Modern medicine is a beautiful thing. But I recently started looking into hypnobirthing to get me through the beginning part active labor - and possibly beyond. I would like to hold out as long as I can before deciding on an epidural. Just curious if anyone has any experience with it. Some of the older threads say great things!

Re: Hypnobirthing Anyone?

• I started doing the Hypnobabies (method of hypnobirthing) home study course about 3 weeks ago. I'm a FTM so I have no idea if it works, but it's basically like meditating for 45 mins a day and has really helped with stress! My husband is a PT who specializes in pain science and he said a lot of the principles make sense, so I figured why not give it a try? I, like you, am not opposed to an epidural if I need one, but I want to see if I can do it without or hold out for as long as I can.
  • I am reading the Hypnobirthing: The Mongan Method and using their CD's. I meditated before pregnancy as a way to deal with anxiety and I believe in it completely. I'm hoping it can work during labor/delivery! Good luck to you :)
  • Loading the player...
  • I have been doing Hypnobabies home study but I fall asleep every time!
  • @GonePhishing me too! I'm doing the home study course & feel as though I'm falling asleep however as soon as the CD stops, I wake up. It's so weird.

Other than I'm digging the program & birth affirmations.
  • Hypnobabies here as well. It's high maintenance and I've been slacking. Looking into taking components from it and other sources.
  • I'm the idiot who is reading the Hypnobirthing: Mongan Method and believing I can get away without practicing with the CDs... which I can't start for another week due to work and class schedule.

I have scoliosis and fears of failed epidurals, so planning on none...
  • I did Hypnobirthing with my first two and thought it was very effective.  However, it is not meant to be a home-study course, if you simply read the book and listen to the CD(s) the information is considered incomplete if you do not take the class.  Hypnobabies is home-study, so you could do that one without taking the class.  Hypnobirthing also takes a lot of practice, so you have to have the time to devote to that.  But yeah, it was awesome!
  • sschwege said:

I did Hypnobirthing with my first two and thought it was very effective.  However, it is not meant to be a home-study course, if you simply read the book and listen to the CD(s) the information is considered incomplete if you do not take the class.  Hypnobabies is home-study, so you could do that one without taking the class.  Hypnobirthing also takes a lot of practice, so you have to have the time to devote to that.  But yeah, it was awesome!

Get off my shoulder, little devil! ;-)

JK, thank you for the needed scolding and vouching for its effectiveness
  • Unfortunately, there are no classes in my area (closest is over two hours away) and my only option is home study. I'm hoping I can still accomplish some sort pain management through hypnobirthing. Glad it worked for those who have replied to the thread!!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Plus, I never wanted a needle in my spine that already has a 27 degree curve and twist

THIS. I am almost exactly the same in degrees as you, even. I know everyone says never say never, but I just can't fathom dealing with this plus an epidural...
  • @lovethatcolosun, thanks for sharing your experience.

I'm doing hypnobabies. Started a little early, at 28 weeks - hopefully the extra time will make up for the fact that I haven't been the A+ student I imagined. I really think it's already made a difference, overall in helping me stay relaxed and not so overwhelmed, and definitely improved how I feel when I start anticipating labor.
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• amark11 said:

I'm the idiot who is reading the Hypnobirthing: Mongan Method and believing I can get away without practicing with the CDs... which I can't start for another week due to work and class schedule.

I have scoliosis and fears of failed epidurals, so planning on none...

This is me besides the scoliosis part. We'll see what ends up happening. I've been told my baby will most likely be at least 8.5 pounds. That made the epidural seem less scary...lol
  • I'm trying the hyponobsbies home study. Repeating the first week bc I really didn't do well listening to the CDs last week. I'm hoping it helps.
  • Plus, I never wanted a needle in my spine that already has a 27 degree curve and twist so I was pretty sure I wouldn't be getting an epidural anyways and then my doctor showed me the release you must sign before getting the epidural and with the first one saying you could be completely paralyzed from the neck down, second one saying you can contract HIV/AIDS, and the third saying It could have harmful or fatal reactions of you're allergic but you don't know it I knew the epidural was out and I had to research other options!

I read the hypnobirthing book but bc of my work schedule I can't go to any classes. I also read the Bradley method so I have some options of tools I can use during labor.

I don't know why it says you can get HIV from epidural placement unless the physician/CRNA putting in your epidural has HIV/AIDS. They aren't using dirty needles or infusing blood in it. I am not wanting an epidural but I wanted to calm your fears on that! That sounds like a general procedure consent form.
  • I hear ya! My mom likes to scare me and tell
    me about the patient she had in the ICU in the 70s that became paralyzed from an epidural. I'm like thanks for that Mom.
  • jesshrou said:

Plus, I never wanted a needle in my spine that already has a 27 degree curve and twist so I was pretty sure I wouldn't be getting an epidural anyways and then my doctor showed me the release you must sign before getting the epidural and with the first one saying you could be completely paralyzed from the neck down, second one saying you can contract HIV/AIDS, and the third saying It could have harmful or fatal reactions of you're allergic but you don't know it I knew the epidural was out and I had to research other options!

I read the hypnobirthing book but bc of my work schedule I can't go to any classes. I also read the Bradley method so I have some options of tools I can use during labor.

I don't know why it says you can get HIV from epidural placement unless the physician/CRNA putting in your epidural has HIV/AIDS. They aren't using dirty needles or infusing blood in it. I am not wanting an epidural but I wanted to calm your fears on that! That sounds like a general procedure consent form.
    Yeah exactly! I'm sure they will have the same thing written in the forms for an IV but the fact that it's on there was like uh yeah not happening!
    Psh, I don't want an IV, either! My goal is to go all natural - the only reason I'm doing it in the hospital is just in case something goes wrong (well, and we live in an apartment...I don't think the neighbors want to hear me give birth!). I don't want the temptation of giving in to taking some drugs and I am really looking forward to being fully mobile.
  • That's another biggie for me - I want to be mobile during and after.