August 2015 Moms
Options

Work and travel questions!

My job is what pays the bills, provides insurance, and keeps us stable. My job also has me traveling anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours away from home/hospital each day. Some of these trips turn into overnight trips (travel 3 hours, work 12 hours on site, stay in hotel, work 8 hours on site on day two, travel 3 hours home). All of these factors have me questioning a few things:

1. How long into pregnancy are you planning to work?

2. How far are you comfortable traveling in 2nd trimester? In 3rd?

3. When do you plan on returning to work after birth? (Or are you going back?)

Re: Work and travel questions!

• Options
    I don't travel like you do but I am on my feet all day.

I plan on working till I go into labor

My doctor said no more traveling in May and I'm 24 weeks along

I'm going to ask for 8 weeks of maturnity leave but then I have to go back full time because my job also helps pay the bills.

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    Maybe you can research hospitals in your travel radius just in case, especially if you're going to the same clients or area a lot.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't travel all day myself but I am on my feet between 8-10 hours a day.

I plan on working until labor.

I have a trip planned when I'm 26 weeks along and my doctor said it was perfectly fine. He said after 30 weeks it's a no go.

6 weeks maternity leave is what I will be taking.
  • Options

Well my daily commute (which I make about 3-4 times a week, otherwise I telework) is about an hour by train each way.  So I guess some may consider that traveling.  I also travel (plane, hotel, etc.) about every month.  I have one next week on the other side of the country and about halfway across in June.  After the June trip, I will not be making any more of these trips until the baby is about 6 months old.  I have told my supervisor this and she is totally cool and understanding of this as she understands my priorities. 

I also plan on working up until I am in labor (from home) and will probably be doing quite a bit of work from home throughout my maternity leave.  I don't plan on returning full time until this baby is in daycare (at about 4 months) and won't be actually returning to the office until a couple weeks after that.

I think a lot of OBs put a lot of travel restrictions on you as your get closer to your due date.  They would rather you not even be a couple of hours from home.  My June trip will on the cusp on my allowed/not allowed to travel cut off.

• Options
    I am working until labor but I work in the hospital, so L&D is a quick walk across the street.... I'm traveling outside of the state the last allowable week (week 30 is what my doc prefers)... I would be comfy going a few hours away, but not more, from then up until the last week or so. But, this is my first pregnancy, I've had no issues and I wouldn't travel without my SO who is a doctor. So that is comfy for me. I'm taking 12 weeks off. I've been lucky enough to save up almost enough PTO.

Do whatever your comfortable with, and talk to your doctor! If you have to travel, make sure you know hospitals in route and the closest to where you are staying!!!
  • Options
    I have the same daily travel requirements for my job. When July hits, I plan on working something out with my boss where I either work from home or only travel to my closer locations.
  • Options
    I'm taking a 6 hour trip in June when I'll be 34 weeks. Dr said its fine as long as I feel up to it. As far as work, I don't have to travel since I'm a teacher and school will be out June 25 for the summer. I plan on returning in December.
  • Options
    I travel a few times a month, but typically much further that you are traveling (often flying internationally). I was just in amsterdam last week, in fact! I'm planning to stop international travel by 32 weeks and domestic by 36, unless my doctor tells me otherwise! I'm planning to work right up until I go into labor, though I might work from home the last couple of weeks. I'm taking 24 weeks off after the baby gets here (12 at full pay and 12 at half pay), I'm lucky that my firm has an awesome leave policy!
  • Options
    I was told to stop air travel at 34 weeks. As for the car, I'll continue that on a "if it seems extra important" basis only. It just gets super uncomfortable to be sitting in a car for over an hour, and I always had to stop for bathroom breaks. If you can work from home or only do the 30 minute trips after 36 weeks, your body will thank you.
    I took 6 weeks with DS and will do that again. Anything less would be really hard for me to have milk saved up and make sure my supply is consistent, not to mention I'm still a little brain dead. But, October is my $$ making season, so I'm not going to miss it! I'm sure I'll do some work from home before 6 weeks...
  • Options
    Thank you ladies! I'm hoping to work out a plan for not traveling further than an hour one way once I reach 30 wks (June!). We have two people and visit 18 sites total (7-9 trips per week between the two of us). I'm a FTM and know I'll be exhausted and want to stay home with LO as long as possible, but I also know that there is no way for one person to get our work done. We have hired a part timer and have been training her for the past month, so I HOPE she can take over while I'm on leave.