April 2015 Moms
Options

PSA: Do your sits baths!

I went to visit my OB two weeks PP due to stitches issues. She informed me she was infuriated the nurses did not educate or push sits baths to patients anymore. I told her I had actually asked for one they had not talked to me about it at all I had known about them from my daughter. My OB told me they help the healing process a lot and that some one who is prone to scar tissue like myself could have a completely different outcome if I use my sits bath. I am now on drs orders three times a day for ten minutes (easier said than done single parent of two-but still managing some how). Basically words of wisdom: use your sits bath to loosen up those stitches don't have painful intercourse for years!

Re: PSA: Do your sits baths!

• Options
    No one told me about this. Thanks for the pointer. My stitches are still painful 3 weeks pp.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Stupid question.. What is a sits bath?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    wonderkaywonderkay member
    edited April 2015
    You fill up the tub just a couple inches and sit in it for ten to fifteen minutes.
  • Options
    wonderkay said:

You fill up the tub just a couple inches and sit in it for ten to fifteen minutes.

And you add salts too, right? (Epsom salt)
    "It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip! The hospital gave me one that fits over the toilet but I have yet to use it.. until right this moment haha. I'm currently just using warm water but would love to hear if your using Epsom Salt or other add-ins. Everything feels like it's healing ok (I refuse to look at it), just tight and a little sore. I've been using Earth Momma's bottom balm and new momma spray (Amazon) which has been helping. Hoping this helps the healing process even more!

PS I'm trying to turn this into a spa moment and applied a 15 min facial while I sit here. Anything to make it better, right?
  • Options
    @fartsandcrafts I think every Dr is different mine told me just water no salts at all! I have to say since using it I have felt better, she was right! I have the one that fits on the toilet, if I had to fill up the tub I don't think I'd ever use it. I said that to my mom, with two kids time is of the essence if I have 10 mins at a time of peace and quiet I've got better things to do than sit on the bath. The only reason I'm doing it is to follow drs orders, that's when I usually come on the bump or FB!
  • Options

wonderkay said:

And you add salts too, right? (Epsom salt)
    I don't use salts! But I'm just following my Drs orders!! I don't see why you couldn't use Epsom salt, but I guess it's your own preference!
  • Options
    It's called a *sitz* bath
  • Options
    @miahbelle you are very correct. Usually I'd edit my post and go back and fix it but I'm too darn tired! My auto correct keeps changing it to sits!!!
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    You can add post-natal healing herbs to it as well. I highly recommend getting some from either a local tea/herbal store or a birth supply company. I used my sitz bath (fit over the toilet) 3x's/day for 1 week and felt great. Never had any issues with my stitches nor was I ever in any sort of real discomfort after birth.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Definitely been feeling better down there since doing these. I was only advised a while after i was out of hospital, they also said normal salt is fine for them so i guess everyone has differing opinions.
    If you have time and a bath i recommend it!