May 2015 Moms
Options

Having Your Water Broken

I am having my water broken Friday morning. Mine broke naturally with my daughter so I haven't experienced this. Does it hurt? Just wondering what to expect?

Re: Having Your Water Broken

• Options
    I don't remember it hurting at all.

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was low fluid and they broke mine. They tried with just the doctors hands but she couldn't, so then they had to use the little hook thing. Which is terrifying. But actually, surprisingly not painful. Though- I was low fluid and my bag was really slippery and it took the doc a while to get it. It was uncomfortable, but not painful. But my baby did get scratches on his head from it, which really sucks. But again- I was low fluid and had a very tricky, stubborn bag. And also- the scratches don't bother him at all nor did they do any damage, so have no worries!
  • Options
    Mine was more uncomfortable from the Drs hand rather than the hook they use. They have to guide it in and make sure it only touches the amniotic sac rather than your cervix or anything. If they do it once you have an epidural it's just a pushing feeling.
  • Options
    For me, the worst and most painful part of my whole labor was when my dr broke my water. I was 3 cm when he broke it, and didn't have an epidural. There was also meconium in the amniotic fluid. I don't know if that affected anything. The pain didn't last long though. If I need mine broke again with this baby, I will ask if I could have the epidural first. It sounds like for most women it isn't very painful, so hopefully that's the case for you! Good luck Momma! Don't stress about it, even if it is painful it doesn't last long and as soon as that baby is in your arms you don't even remember it.
  • Options
    I had it done while in active labor with DD and it didn't hurt at all.
    Me: 38, DH: 35
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    It doesn't hurt. It's uncomfortable like a internal exam. But that's all.
  • Options
    I had mine broken at 9cm, didn't notice it s bit
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Don't YouTube it. Lol, looks pretty uncomfortable...
  • Options
    I've had it done twice and didn't find it painful at all.
  • Options
    Had it done at 4 cm, didn't hurt one bit! I wasn't having bad pain with contractions until I reached 7cm
  • Options
    I can't imagine that breaking the water itself would hurt, as there's no nerves in the bag. Probably no more uncomfortable than anything else like a pap or cervical check they might do up there.
    Raising a threenager since 11/11
    Baby boy #2 due 5/6/15
  • Options
    I had mine broke. Didn't hurt.
    BabyFruit Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    a316ba316b member
    I've had it done 3x, twice with hook (2cm) and once with docs fingers (4cm).

All done during internal exam. Nothing too uncomfortable.

If they're doing it in office- bring a baby diaper to use as a pad on your way to l&d.

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!!!! I am having some last minute jitters lol.
  • Options

I am having my water broken Friday morning. Mine broke naturally with my daughter so I haven't experienced this. Does it hurt? Just wondering what to expect?

Wait! Can you elect to have your water broken?! I'm 39 weeks 2 days and haven't had any signs of labor lol
  • Options
    I don't really understand why doctors break the waters so frequently. I asked my OB about it and she said there's no reason to do it as a matter of habit, and that sometimes it makes delivery less painful if the waters remain intact as long as possible. My mom said her water didn't break until she started pushing (during 4 separate births), and babies are routinely born in the caul with no problem. Has anyone's doctor given them a reason why waters are broken before they're ready? Very curious about this.
  • Options
    I'm being induced because the baby is so big already and I had hemmoraging issues with DD.